Sacramento area, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. We have a Pentair IC40. Pentair salt cell reads 2550 ppm on the ScreenLogic app so it has the low salt warning and is not generating chlorine. Tested our salt level with the Taylor drop test and result is actually high at 4800. We’ve already cleaned the salt cell and and then even replaced the flow sensor thinking that was the problem but with a new flow sensor the Pentair IC40 still reads the same. Not wanting to have a to purchase a new salt cell but it’s looking like we’re headed in that direction. This will be our 3rd summer with the current SWG.

Last edited:
To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.

To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.
Thank you! Ours calculates to 53%. We also just cleaned the cell.

That is only for Hayward Aquarite SWCG’s. It does not apply to Pentair equipment

Reactions: mynite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read my link to how SWG work, specifically cleaning the cell. Using MA removes the rare earth metals from the cell. We don't recommend it...it shortens the life of the cell.

Read my link to how SWG work, specifically cleaning the cell. Using MA removes the rare earth metals from the cell. We don't recommend it...it shortens the life of the cell.
Looks like I may just need to get a new cell and change the way I clean it. Thanks so much for all the info.

Reactions: PoolStored
Yeah, TFP can save you a bunch of money...has for me!

I'd also read up on SWG and CSI. You can keep your cell completely clean if you can manage your CSI.

My three year old cell is spotless, and has never been cleaned.

Yeah, TFP can save you a bunch of money...has for me!

I'd also read up on SWG and CSI. You can keep your cell completely clean if you can manage your CSI.

My three year old cell is spotless, and has never been cleaned.
Same here. Our IC40 is going on its 4th year. Just checked out the cells out of curiosity. Looks brand new, so I reassembled it and went on with my day :)