IC40 salt inaccuracy ?

jugalo

Bronze Supporter
May 15, 2015
Highland Village, TX
I have searched and havent seen my problem addressed.
Brand new build. Pentair Intellicenter.
My system is ALWAYS telling me that my salt level is 700-1000 ppm Less than my 1776 kit. From day one. And we are at 82-90 degree water temps. Yesterday my low salt light lit for the first time. 2300 ppm according to it. But 3400 on my kit. Frustrating. And my builder is so hard to work with as far as warranty. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.

Jug,

This is a well known issue and means the thermistor in the Flow Switch Assembly is bad..

Since your system is so new, Pentair should fix it for you for free..

The thermistor is supposed to compensate for the temperature differences..

The cell has a tolerance of +/- 500 ppm.. If you are outside of that range, Pentair should fix it.

If your pool builder won't take care of it, call Pentair yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Don't know if the flow switch problem affects Hayward systems but that didn't seem to be the problem in our case. Hayward replaced our new T-15 cell under warranty and that cured the issue.

So Pentair sent a guy out to swap it out. I was at work.
He told my wife I need to add a bag of salt! My 1776 kit says I have 3800 ppm.
And then he told her that I have to get my salt sample from water in the bottom not near the surface.

Is this accurate advice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just did 1776 test at 2 feet depth and Im getting 3600ppm (18 drops) and as usual IC40 says 2900. 85 degree water temp (who knows how accurate that is) So the new unit is acting just like the old one.

I have to say after being up and running for a few months now I am not at all impressed with much of any of this Pentair stuff

So out of frustration... I went and grabbed some salt test strips which I have never really used, and its also saying 2900 just like the IC40. Hmmm. Am I to assume I got a bad Taylor 1776 kit? Its only 3 months old. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, Happy 4th folks!!

J,

I tend to always trust the K-1766, but it is also unlikely that the two IC40's would be off the same amount... Odd indeed.. :scratch:

I would be temped to have the water tested at the dreaded "pool store" or even try some test strips, just to confirm that you are running the Taylor tests correctly.

Do you use the speed-stir when using the K-1766??

Thanks,

Jim R.

LOL I was saying 1776, I guess its an Independence Day thing. So yes I just went and re-tested. K-1766 on speedstir 19 drops = 3800ppm. When you say running the test properly what could I be doing wrong? I have used these Taylor kits for years. I guess I could go up to lezlees but Id have to make sure the kid there doesn't drool into my sample.

J,

It is pretty easy to go past the point of when the sample changes from "milk" to salmon.. Unlike most of the Taylor tests, you don't keep adding drops until the color no longer changes.. The first drop that causes the color to change to salmon, and stay that way, is when you stop.. If you keep adding drops it will get darker..

Not saying that you are doing anything wrong.. It just sounds odd that two cells have the same issue.

I would not normally walk into a Leslies to even use their bathroom, but I might make an exception in this case. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Update: Did the redundant salt tests yesterday. Leslies 3279, Taylor1766 3800, Intellicenter 2950, Salt Strip 2900. I think Im just gonna say go with the IC40 and run it a bit salty. Taylor kit going in the trash. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2434.PNG
    IMG_2434.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.