IC40 Not powering on at 2600 rpm

Hey Jim !!!

While waiting for the other Jim, how about some more details ?

Any automation ? (Fill out your signature)

I'm guessing the salt test is 2600, not the PSI as the title states ?

My pool was built in 2007. I just replaced the Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3HP pump with a new Pentair WhisperFlo VST 2.6HP. I have an IntelliTouch Automation System with a panel outside and a small one inside the house to control the equipment. I set up 2 schedules on the small panel inside....one under 'POOL' and a a few buttons down another schedule under 'HIGH SPEED'. The one under 'POOL' I have it running at 3,200 RPM and the one under 'HIGH SPEED' I have it running at 2,600 RPM. Although they both run as scheduled, my Chlorine Generator IC40 only turns on when it's running on 'POOL'(3,200 RPM) but DOES NOT turn on when it's running on 'HIGH SPEED'(2,600 RPM). WHY? Is the flow not strong enough?

• Love
Reactions: newdude
Jim,

The IC40 is controlled by the pump/filter relay.. That relay only closes when you are in the pool mode or the spa mode..

Your 'high speed' circuit will not turn the pump/filter relay on..

You are running way too fast most of the time, but that is up to you..

Here is what you should do...

1. Set the Pool Circuit up for the slowest speed you ever what to run with the SWCG working.
2. Set your high speed up to something higher that the Pool circuit.
3. Set your schedule to run the Pool Circuit for the entire time the pump will be running that day.
4. Set your schedule so that your high speed circuit is on when you want.

When the pump sees 2 or more speeds it will run the fastest one..

This is how it works..

Pool Circuit runs at say 1500
You keep the pool circuit on and then turn on your high speed circuit and the pump will increase speed.
If you shut oft the high speed circuit, the pump will slow down to your Pool speed.

Please let me know if that does not make sense.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

The IC40 is controlled by the pump/filter relay.. That relay only closes when you are in the pool mode or the spa mode..

Your 'high speed' circuit will not turn the pump/filter relay on..

You are running way too fast most of the time, but that is up to you..

Here is what you should do...

1. Set the Pool Circuit up for the slowest speed you ever what to run with the SWCG working.
2. Set your high speed up to something higher that the Pool circuit.
3. Set your schedule to run the Pool Circuit for the entire time the pump will be running that day.
4. Set your schedule so that your high speed circuit is on when you want.

When the pump sees 2 or more speeds it will run the fastest one..

This is how it works..

Pool Circuit runs at say 1500
You keep the pool circuit on and then turn on your high speed circuit and the pump will increase speed.
If you shut oft the high speed circuit, the pump will slow down to your Pool speed.

Please let me know if that does not make sense.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Makes sense. I'll try it. Did you see my current schedule for both 'POOL' and 'HIGH SPEED'? Let me know what you think I should change it to. Maybe less hours? or run back to back instead of a pause? Change speed? Some people have said to run it 24/7 while many others say that's not necessary. I'm open to any suggestions.

Jim,

Well, you are running your pump 21 hours a day now, so why not run it 24 hours a day?

I suggest that you run it longer and slower..

I would set your Pool Circuit to run 8 am until 8 am.. (Runs 24/7) But.. the Pool circuit must be set to the slowest speed. I'd try 1500 RPM and see if your IC40's flow switch closes.. If not, try 1600 etc.

Then set your High Speed to whatever speed you want, but it has to be faster than your Pool speed. I'd try 2000 RPM and I'd only run that for a couple of hours a day.

We believe that you should run your pump for a reason, not just to run the pump.

1. The main reason to run the pump, when you have a SWCG, is to generate chlorine. I like to make a little chlorine all the time. This allows you to set your SWCG's output lower.

2. Another reason to run the pump, is to skim the pool.. I like to skim all the time. My pool skims well at 1200 RPM, yours may not, so I would start at 1500 RPM and see how well the skimmers work.

3. Some VS pump build up bubbles under the pump lid.. To flush them out, it makes sense to run at a faster speed once or twice a day, for an hour or so.

There is no absolute right or wrong here.. It is up to you to decide what works best for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Well, you are running your pump 21 hours a day now, so why not run it 24 hours a day?

I suggest that you run it longer and slower..

I would set your Pool Circuit to run 8 am until 8 am.. (Runs 24/7) But.. the Pool circuit must be set to the slowest speed. I'd try 1500 RPM and see if your IC40's flow switch closes.. If not, try 1600 etc.

Then set your High Speed to whatever speed you want, but it has to be faster than your Pool speed. I'd try 2000 RPM and I'd only run that for a couple of hours a day.

We believe that you should run your pump for a reason, not just to run the pump.

1. The main reason to run the pump, when you have a SWCG, is to generate chlorine. I like to make a little chlorine all the time. This allows you to set your SWCG's output lower.

2. Another reason to run the pump, is to skim the pool.. I like to skim all the time. My pool skims well at 1200 RPM, yours may not, so I would start at 1500 RPM and see how well the skimmers work.

3. Some VS pump build up bubbles under the pump lid.. To flush them out, it makes sense to run at a faster speed once or twice a day, for an hour or so.

There is no absolute right or wrong here.. It is up to you to decide what works best for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.
It’s all finally starting to make some sense to me now lol. I don’t mind running it at a lower speed but the issue I have with that is that my spa sits higher than the pool. When the pump is at 3,000 RPM or more, I get a nice waterfall effect from the spa to the pool. When the pump runs at 2,600 RPM the ‘waterfall’ is alot less. So I’m sure if I would run the pump at 2,000 RPM or less, there would be almost NO ‘waterfall’ or maybe just a trickle. Would that be ok or does water need to fall from the spa to the pool at a good rate? Here’s a picture of what I’m referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    771.3 KB · Views: 2
Jim,

It is your pool and you can run at any speed you wish.. Either way, it will not hurt anything..

Show me a several pics of your equipment pad and maybe we can find the problem with your spa spillover..

Thanks,

Jim R.

These are the pics I have at the moment. You think I have a spa spillover issue? It spills to my pool nicely but if the pump is ran at a lower rpm the spillover is weaker. I thought that was normal? The weaker the rpm the weaker the spillover.

Attachments

• IMG_9300.jpeg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9292.jpeg
    IMG_9292.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 7
Jim,

Yes, normal operation is that the slower the RPM the less flow.. I don't think anything is 'wrong' but there may be a way to get more flow.

The whole point of having a VS pump is to reduce your electrical bill.. Running a VS pump at almost full speed, will be the same cost as running a single speed pump.

The problem I see in your set up is that you have no way to control where the return water goes. It appears you have two pipes on the 'Pool" side of your automated Return valve.. One pipe goes to your pool returns, and the pipe with the check valve goes to your spa, so that the spa spills over into your pool.. the problem is you have no way to control the amount of water that goes to the spa vs. the amount of water going to your pool. So, when you increase the speed, so that the spillover looks good, you are also sending about half of the water back to the pool.. There is nothing 'wrong' with this, it just means to get a good looking spillover, you will need to run the pump faster. It is what it is.. I was hoping to see a valve we could adjust to give your spillover a little more water, and reduce the water going back to the pool returns. Not something you currently have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Yes, normal operation is that the slower the RPM the less flow.. I don't think anything is 'wrong' but there may be a way to get more flow.

The whole point of having a VS pump is to reduce your electrical bill.. Running a VS pump at almost full speed, will be the same cost as running a single speed pump.

The problem I see in your set up is that you have no way to control where the return water goes. It appears you have two pipes on the 'Pool" side of your automated Return valve.. One pipe goes to your pool returns, and the pipe with the check valve goes to your spa, so that the spa spills over into your pool.. the problem is you have no way to control the amount of water that goes to the spa vs. the amount of water going to your pool. So, when you increase the speed, so that the spillover looks good, you are also sending about half of the water back to the pool.. There is nothing 'wrong' with this, it just means to get a good looking spillover, you will need to run the pump faster. It is what it is.. I was hoping to see a valve we could adjust to give your spillover a little more water, and reduce the water going back to the pool returns. Not something you currently have.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok Jim, I made the changes you suggested and it didn’t go as planned. For testing purposes I decided to run it for 14 hours total. From 6pm-8am. The first 8 hours (6pm-2am) at 3,000 RPM and the remaining 6 hours at 2,600 RPM. I have attached pictures of the display to make sure I did it correctly. I programmed ‘POOL’ from 6pm-8am and ‘HIGH SPEED’ from 6pm-2am.
NOW….this is what actually happened…as scheduled, it turned on at 6pm…BUT at 2,600 RPM. This morning when I got up at 6:30am, it was completely OFF.
I checked the panel again to make sure it had taken the changes I made yesterday and they were there.
Do I have to reset anything to make sure it took the new changes? Maybe the main panel outside? I have the pump set on EXT. CONTROL ONLY.
So….what do you think?? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_9320.jpeg
    IMG_9320.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9321.jpeg
    IMG_9321.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9322.jpeg
    IMG_9322.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 3
Jim,

Depending on when you set the schedules, you can get the system confused and have to wait 24 hours for things to catch up.

Try pushing the reset button on the outside unit and see what happens today.. Reset will not erase anything, it is like rebooting a PC. It will shut everything off, and it can take a few minutes for everything to come back up... Need to be ready for that to happen, so it is not a surprise.. :mrgreen:

I don't see that you did anything obviously wrong.

I think a better test is to set your Pool Circuit for 24/7 (8 am until 8 am). This eliminates one factor.. Once it is working you can then adjust Pool to 14 hours if you want.

I am not sure about the ext. control issue as I don't have your pump, but something we need to look at if the pump will not run 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.