IC40 issues

Jan 5, 2019
Newport beach ca
Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Completed a brand new inground pool / spa build just under a year ago. Been following the TFP method and everything chemical related has been working great as I've been maintaining everything myself.
I have all Pentair equipment and about 6 months in, I've had to replace the flow switch on my IC40 under warranty (faulty temp readings).
Strange thing is the last couple months I've had to keep increasing my pump speed so I dont get a "low flow" light on the IC40. System was working great and producing chlorine at about 1600rpms for a few months, now I've had to keep increasing the speed and now need to be at over 2100rpm so the light wont come on. I removed the IC40 yesterday and it is clean with no scaling or obstructions that would prevent the flow switch from working correctly.
On a side note, yesterday I noticed that my spa spillover is not spilling over like it used to with the main pump running and circulating the water from the spa to the pool. All the valves have not been moved and are in the same position they have always been.
Main DE filter was cleaned and recharged about 3 months ago and pressure is normal. Use a robot for cleaning and hairnets in the skimmer so system should be pretty clean and debris free. All pump and skimmer baskets are crystal clean.
I'm stumped. Could these 2 issues be related? Any idea what the problem could be?

Nick,

If the IC40 flow light is on AND your spa is not flowing over as it used to, then your filter is dirty, no matter when you cleaned it last..

Since you have a DE filter, just put it in "recirculate".. If the problem goes away and flow returns, it is proof that it is your filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I will try cleaning my filter again this weekend and see if it helps. I admit, I did use some sort of new "DE Free" celulose fiber median instead of using real DE when I cleaned it, so I wonder if this had an effect.
Also, I dont have a multiport valve, just a PUSH/PULL backwash valve. Is there a recirculate feature on this type of valve to test bypassing the filter?
Thanks again,
Nick

The slide valve does not have a RECIRCULATE ability.

I tried cellulose median in my DE filter a few years a go and went back to DE after one season. I found the cellulose clogged more easily, raised my filter pressure, and I was backwashing much more often. I went back to DE which filters as well and does not require constant backwashing.

You may need to open your filter and clean it well if you move from Cellulose back to DE.

When you say filter pressure is "normal" what is your clean filter pressure and what is it now?

I think your SWG flow issues are caused by your DE filter and the use of the cellulose. It may be complicated by some algae in your water.

You may want to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks Allen,
Good input. Will do an OCLT tonight to see if there's algae hiding somewhere in the system. Also will take apart the filter and clean it this weekend. Not using the cellulose again. Thanks for your advice. Hope this solves the issue(s).

Update for anyone that's experiencing a similar issue. Took apart the filter and thoroughly cleaned and recharged with DE. Everything seems to be working good as new! Pump speed is down to 1600 with flow switch working and spillover is back to normal. Not going to use cellulose again.. sticking to DE. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.