Northern Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When I was specifying equipment I took the advice to upsize the SWG. So I upsized to an IC40.

I currently have output set at 2% and the Intelliflo is set at 1650 RPM, which is the minimum to keep the SWG from throwing a flow error. My free chlorine is still at 9.

I have the pump running 24/7. Just changed it to 6 am - 11 pm - we'll see what that does. I suppose I could leave it running 24/7 and set only the SWG to run part of the time, if I could figure out how to do that on the EasyTouch.

Is there a reason you run the pool for so long? You really need to only run it long enough to turn the water volume over one time, unless you have another purpose for running that long. Shorter run time if you can get away with it will obviously equal less chlorine production.

Not other than there seemed to be no reason not to - I've never run 24/7 in a pool before but I never had a variable speed pump before.

With out actually messing with my pump to get some readouts I would guess at 1650 RPM you are around 38 gallons per minute (Someone jump in if you can to the math on this). So at 38 gallons a minute it would take 6 hours to completely run all the water in the pool through the filter and back. So technically you could run your pool at that RPM for 6 hours a day and be fine. I would run at a lower RPM for longer say 8 or ten hours. Anyone have a suggestion for the climate in VA?

For example: I do not use RPM, I use flow and run mine for 10 hours at 45 GPM. I run a little high because I'm pushing water through some solar panels. I my pool stays clear with Chlorine at 5 PPM with my CYA at 60 PPM.

It costs so little in our low cost electricity area of the country, the run-time isn't that big of a deal, especially for a VSP. It's also pollen season here in the Mid-Atlantic.

We also don't subscribe to the turnover concept to determine runtime. It's really about generating enough chlorine, properly mixing chemicals, skimming the surface, and maintaining water clarity. If those are being taken care of, as little as a few hours a day could suffice. But that certainly wouldn't be my personal preference.

Wish I had your electric rates. I would run longer too if possible. I have to play with run times to be nice on the wallet and have a clean and clear pool. Running my pump 24/7 would probably be at least an extra $500 a month. Anyway I was thinking it would be safe to reduce their run time to reduce chlorine production if they did not have to run 24/7.

Thanks mknauss. Thats good to know. I'm actually trying to figure that out as I have a paid for electric solar system and can add three more panels to it without changing anything. Trying to figure what three panels would cost and generate to try and offset the pool. I was at near zero electric until i turned the pool on. Ha! Sorry, off topic for a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's why I said "I guess" I did not know without switching between GPM and RPM at my equipment to see and added can someone do the math. Anyhow the point of my post was to point out they should have no problem reducing their run time to reduce SWG output to correct their issue. They have already reduce their run time but was showing they could reduce much more if needed if they did not have any reason to run the pump for 17 hours. Was trying to demonstrate what the shortest recommended run time might be. I would leave it up to the owner to verify the pool size and calculate run time. Sorry if my post confused anyone. :)

At 2%, you are generating about 0.3 ppm FC a day. I suppose it is possible if you are not heavily using the pool or there is not strong sun to only burn through that little amount of chlorine each day.

Just as a sanity check, is the level light flashing indicating it is set at 2%? (solid is 20%). At 20% you would be adding 2.8 ppm each day.

Definitely flashing, and set at 2% in screenlogic. Today it's at 4.5. I guess I'll see how low it drops and then raise the setting slowly. The coincidence of the number makes me wonder whether I forgot to halve the drop number when testing yesterday, but I had gone to the drop test when the block was too yellow to read so I don't think so.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.