Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi there,

I'm in the market for a SWG (yea, tired of the bleach gallons) and shopping around found this comment in the Amazon page for the IC40. Was wondering what you guys think about these cost-calculations.

The inteliChlor IC40 is a great product and works perfectly if you want to spend a minimum of $200.00 each season you have your pool open. Here in Missouri we can only have our pool open from May1 to Sept.7 with that being said the cost to keep your pool sparkling clean with this unit in Missouri is approximately $40.00 per month or $1.33 per day not counting the salt you buy which for us is about 10 bags each season which is another $40.00 or a total of $2.66 per day. Mine has only lasted 4 years and is being replaced because it is worn out. So if you purchase this product just be aware that probably every 4 years you are going to spend another $585.00 for a replacement. So far I have spent a total of $1565.00 for 8 months of use. that is roughly $200.00 per month. GOOD PRODUCT IF YOU DON'T MIND THE COST.

Do you have a Pentair automation?

I would not go by that Amazon review. They live in a very different climate and situation than you. Plus few people understand what it costs to run a pool with 'conventional' methods.

Right on! I try to stick to the simplicity of TFP. Yet, it seems a bit cumbersome all this SWG thing.

I don't yet have any automation, just the VS that has its own timers and some cable to connect it to an automation system, I guess by Pentair.

So far it seems I'm leaning more toward buying an automation system that comes with the SWG already in it, because it will reduce costs and I want a degree of automation in my pool.

Do you have a Pentair automation?

I would not go by that Amazon review. They live in a very different climate and situation than you. Plus few people understand what it costs to run a pool with 'conventional' methods.

OK. If you wish to automate, which would be very nice with your spa, you have the right pump. I would suggest you look at the IntelliCenter with IC40 SWCG. The power supply will be integrated into the IntelliCenter. It also comes with remote connectivity built in so you can control things from a phone or tablet.

You already have your electrical subpanel installed with CBs for your equipment. The panels you are looking at include a Load Center which is basically the electrical subpanel with circuit breakers.

Pentair has created bundles with Load Centers, two IntelliValves, and an IC40 for the pool/spa configuration. Separately Pentair has listed the IntelliCenter Common Power Center w/ IntelliCenter wiring Label), with IntelliChlor Transformer sku 522042 that does not have the CB section installed in the panel. You can then add a personality kit for pool/spa and valves actuators and other accessories. The cost may be better if you don't need the Load Center. You can call PolytecPools and discuss with them availability and pricing.

Post pics of your pool equipment and current electrical panel setup if you want more advice about that.

Understand that with the IntelliCenter bundle you are getting two valve actuators that cost about $200 each and an Intellichlor IC40 system that costs around $1,000 standalone. So the IntelliCenter automation panel is costing you around $1,200.

Arie,

Great question and as you can see we have people here that can help. Most of your questions are answered so I'll only add additional comments:
  • The review you showed is exaggerating the cost of a salt pool he's ignoring the fact that while you do have up front costs you have to add chlorine somehow. If you're buying it in liquid form it's usually equal or more cost over time. When you buy liquid you're paying to package and ship .9 gal of water for each gallon you use. If you use tablets the cost of making them in chemical plants and dumping the water to control CYA has to be included. Also, salt is not consumed. That's a simple fact of chemistry. You do lose some with water splash and when you have to drain the pool from rain. We live in Florida and use our pool almost every day plus it rains a LOT here. At most I'll add half a bag of salt. There is a power cost but mine runs about a net of 2-3 hrs at 4.5 amps at 28v. Not much operating cost. If you balance your water chemistry right the cell will last a LONG time. I checked mine at 6 months and 1 year; it looks brand new.
  • I agree with Allen I don't see why you'd need the load center with the breakers. All you'll need are the relays. As Allen suggests give Polytec a call. Tell them what you have and ask the cheapest way to get benefit of the equipment you already have while upgrading to an Intellicenter. They are extremely helpful, will explain everything in as much detail as you need and no pressure tactics. I did the same thing when I added mine and priced several options then called back the next day with my order. At that time they had the 5PS on sale for around $1600 and I believe the salt version was a couple hundred more... way better than adding it separately.
  • If you're familiar with 240 v wiring and pulling cable it's a weekend of work. I've done a lot of wiring but I'm no electrician. An electrician will be much quicker and is worth paying for if needed.
  • You can use your existing valves and just add actuators if they're standard pool valves such as Jandy Never Lube.
  • Intellicenter is brand new and in the last year they've fixed almost all the bugs. They're working on the few that remain and those are not deal breakers. The only remaining are a few glitches in the app. Even if these never got fixed I'd go with Intellicenter over anything else on the market right now.
Good luck! I hope this helps.

Chris

Wow! this is super-good information, y'all. I love this forum.

You can call PolytecPools and discuss with them availability and pricing.
Called them. Availability: "getting scarce" (typical salesman pressure lol). Pricing: the same in their website - "unfortunately can't provide a better price because Pentair is closing and opening every week and there's uncertainty and everyone is buying one of these".

SWG costs
Thanks for clarifying that the review was exaggerated. It's one of the reasons why I posted it here, in order to help clear misinformation on this. It is clear for me that I want to go with a SWG system, just trying to figure out what/how. It might seem that the i5PSIC40 is the way to go. I'll have to call tomorrow to the installers recommended by Polytec, called Poolman, as they're closed now so I can get a complete quote -including installation- done by someone else so I can have a reference. So far I got from Polytec that this will run around $3,500 - [ $2,489.95 (i5PSIC40) + 800 (installation) ].

Tell them what you have and ask the cheapest way to get benefit of the equipment you already have while upgrading to an Intellicenter.
and
The cost may be better if you don't need the Load Center
- I've still got to ask for this specifically. Will try tomorrow.

SWG Longevity
If you balance your water chemistry right the cell will last a LONG time.
- This is what I've read so far here in the forums, so it's clear that I've just have to keep up the water monitoring.

Other Systems
I've seen complete water monitoring systems as well by Hayward, like the Prologic which include relays and automation as well.

Glossary

For reference:
  • CBs: Circuit Breakers
  • IntelliValve: A "Valve Actuator" that fits all industry standard compatible diverter valves for pool/spa and pool/ water feature combinations (link, How to use a Pool Valve Actuator - InyoPools)
  • IntelliChlor: A Salt Chlorine Generator that Turns Salt into Water-purifying Chlorine (link)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there,

I'm in the market for a SWG (yea, tired of the bleach gallons) and shopping around found this comment in the Amazon page for the IC40. Was wondering what you guys think about these cost-calculations.

I also live in Las Vegas and have a Pentair IC-40. In the 5-1/2 years we've had it, I think I've cleaned it about twice or three times (Disclaimer: About half my pool fill is soft water and I have a water softener attached to the automatic fill so calcium buildup isn't the problem for me that it is for most in Las Vegas). What drew me to this thread was research into the flashing "Check Cell" light. That light just came on and stayed on even after I cleaned the minor buildup in the cell. Given the age of the unit, it's likely that it finally died. However, this morning's test (Taylor, fresh chems) showed I still have very high chlorine levels in the pool, so I will wait and test the water again in a week before giving up on the IC-40. If it's really dead, I'll definitely replace it. It's convenient, the half-soft salt water feels soooooo good to swim in and I only need to replace about half the water every couple of years. I don't care as much about the cost as I do about the maintenance, but I believe my IC-40 with the softener has been significantly cheaper than buying tablets and frequently replacing water. Your results may not be nearly as good, however, if you don't also put in a softener for your fill line.

When we built the pool, Desert Springs talked me out of a SWG, saying it wouldn't work in winter. True, but algae doesn't grow in winter, either. After my CYA got up to very high levels with tablets within the first six months -- and already needing to beadblast the calcium off my brand-new pool -- I installed the IC-40 and softener. I filled the pool halfway with soft water and half with tap water, and the softener is attached to the automatic fill. I and have been very pleased with the results. Everybody in Vegas complains about all the calcium and yet nobody ever seems to put in a softener to deal with the problem. Even with the softener, my calcium level still gradually increases, but not quickly like it used to. The calcium was 150 after my last drain and refill in December 2018 and today, after 15 months, it's crept up to 325 as measured by Taylor. I can probably go until December 2020 without another partial drain/refill.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.