IC40 and ET8 salt readings

brentkhack

Bronze Supporter
Nov 20, 2017
TX
The ET8 shows 0 ppm and COMM-NO ERRORS. The IC40 sometimes shows low salt and then sometimes high salt (based on led lights). The PB has known about this for at least two months and only have sent a guy out once. I am emailing Pentair about this and they think it is some other issue. I just know that the SWG is no longer producing chlorine and I would like to get this fixed but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to do anything.

I had both those issues. ET showing 0 ppm salt. That was my recent issue, on my second SWG. First SWG would give me radically different salt readings from day to day, and either produce chlorine or not, depending on which (some salt readings were below the threshold the SWG would produce, others were above the threshold). In both cases I contacted Pentair directly. Because I no longer do business with my contractor, who is the local Pentair repair center, I request of Pentair to send anyone else to do the repair. The first guy they sent out replaced the SWG. This time they tried to get that same guy out here (at my request), but then I got an email a few days ago saying they were having some sort of issue doing so, so they're just going to mail me a new SWG.

Point being: you are not bound to have your PB fix the problem. Tell Pentair you want someone else to come out. They've been very cooperative in that regard for me, and don't seem to interested in the reason why.

And as in all things tech support: if you don't like the answer you're getting from them, hang up, call back, and get a different tech. You'd be surprised how often that works.

Brent,

In the past year we have seen several reports of the EasyTouch reporting zero salt.. Pentair knows the problem exists, it just does not know how to fix it. This failure has nothing to do with the cell producing chlorine and nothing to do with the low salt light on the cell.

Let's look at the cell itself...

The very first thing you need to know is the actual salt level in your pool. I use the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, what do you use? You really can't tell if the cell is reading high or low unless you know the actual salt level.

I have never heard of a cell that shows the red low salt light sometimes, and then the flashing green high salt light other times.. On the surface, I'd say that is very unlikely. Just to makes sure we are on the same page, the green good light and the red low light will alternately flash back and forth for about 5 minutes each time the cell is powered up... It this what you are seeing or is the green light flashing all by itself?

Even if the green salt light is flashing, the cell will still produce chlorine.

If you know what the actual salt level is, I would add salt to make the low salt light go off, as long as you can keep the actual salt level below 4000 ppm.

I can't do much about your pool builder, but I would ask your pool builder, or Pentair, for the name of your dealer's Pentair rep and give him a call. I know from practical experience that Pentair normally takes pretty good care of their customer's so I would call Pentair again and ask for a supervisor it not happy with the response.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have never heard of a cell that shows the red low salt light sometimes, and then the flashing green high salt light other times.. On the surface, I'd say that is very unlikely. Just to makes sure we are on the same page, the green good light and the red low light will alternately flash back and forth for about 5 minutes each time the cell is powered up... It this what you are seeing or is the green light flashing all by itself?

For clarity, if this is helpful for the OP or others experiencing either of what I have:

SWG 1: what I experienced was some days the salt would read low, and other days it would read close to normal (based on comparing it to Taylor test results). The cell never indicated high salt, nor did ScreenLogic. But the cell would produce, or not, based on that day's salt reading. Sometimes I would cycle its power, to force it to retest the salt level. Sometimes I would then get a correct(ish) reading and other times not. Pentair declared that a fault in the flow/salt sensor (over the phone). But as I mentioned, the repair guy did not replace just that sensor array to fix that problem, he replaced the whole unit, so I can't confirm that problem is, in fact, a bad flow/salt sensor or not.

SWG 2: cell works and indicates perfectly fine, but reports 0 salt back to ScreenLogic. And reports "----" salt and "----" temperature back to my IntellipH. I cycled power to everything, including my ScreenLogic Adaptor, and disconnected and reconnected all the cables, so it's not likely a cable issue.

As Jim mentions: Pentair has been taking good care of these issue.

They just won't make them go away for us all!!

I have the TF-100 kit which I do not see where it can check salt levels. I did get an email back from Pentair and they need my SN to open up a claim. I really hate my PB.

The Taylor Salt Test (K-1766) is something you buy separately. The TF-100 does not include a salt test.

SN will be on the pump somewhere. This will be a good opportunity to check if your PB properly registered all your Pentair gear. Do check on that.

PB problems, eh? Join the club, it's not particularly exclusive, lots of members...

Brent,

The cell S/N is on the bottom of the cell... If like mine, you have to stand on your head to see it.. Or do what the Pentair tech did when he came out to my pool.. He simply stuck his cell phone under it and took a pic... Well, Duh.. that was a lot easier... :p

Jim R.

That is what the wife did but it came out blurry. I will put my phone in the selfie mode and try that. I should be able to see the label while sticking my arm under the SWG and not my whole body.

By the way, speaking of checking on all your registrations. Is your gear still under warranty? Did you buy all that Pentair stuff all at once? Or some of it all at once? If so, you could qualify for the extended three-year warranty. Did your PB mention that? Register your gear correctly for you to get that? Something to check on. If any of that is possible, there is a deadline to register for the extended warrant, so do look into it soon.

Mirror to read SN number?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The ET8 shows 0 ppm and COMM-NO ERRORS. The IC40 sometimes shows low salt and then sometimes high salt (based on led lights). The PB has known about this for at least two months and only have sent a guy out once. I am emailing Pentair about this and they think it is some other issue. I just know that the SWG is no longer producing chlorine and I would like to get this fixed but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to do anything.

Sound like a flow sensor for the ic -40. Since you're under warrenty contact pentair for a warrenty call, then they will contact a close company that is certified in pentair products and does pentair warrenties.

Sound like a flow sensor for the ic -40. Since you're under warrenty contact pentair for a warrenty call, then they will contact a close company that is certified in pentair products and does pentair warrenties.

100% correct. Pentair already had a new company call me and introduced themselves to me and will be troubleshooting my issue :D

They just sent my builder a new flow sensor. No fix for my zero reading.

We r now in a holding pattern till the rep comes out for my builder cause we can’t get the 1 repair guy in an 80 mile radius to come out. I might be starting a business some day. Lol. I can’t beliece they don’t have anyone else.

I told my builder when the rep comes out I want a new cell period. It’s 3 months old only. He said let’s see what happens. I trust him all the way. I just don’t know his rep yet. Lol

if if I can’t get one through the rep cause “they know it’s an issue”. Pentair said this and the rep. I’m going to call and talk to a supervisor and take it from there.

They just sent my builder a new flow sensor. No fix for my zero reading.

We r now in a holding pattern till the rep comes out for my builder cause we can’t get the 1 repair guy in an 80 mile radius to come out. I might be starting a business some day. Lol. I can’t beliece they don’t have anyone else.

I told my builder when the rep comes out I want a new cell period. It’s 3 months old only. He said let’s see what happens. I trust him all the way. I just don’t know his rep yet. Lol

if if I can’t get one through the rep cause “they know it’s an issue”. Pentair said this and the rep. I’m going to call and talk to a supervisor and take it from there.

See my post #2 above. They're sending me a new cell in the mail for me to install.

I didn't quite get what you were saying. They sent you a flow switch? You installed it and it didn't solve the problem? What's the hold up? There is no other replaceable part, right? They should just mail you a new one and you can put it in yourself. Why the need for the 80-mile guy, or any Pentair guy? What, they don't believe you? What is a repair guy going to do? Pentair support has the ability to see your ScreenLogic interface on their computers. Have them dial in and see the zero reading for themselves. It's a user-replaceable part, other than maybe your filter gauge, it's about the easiest one to DIY.

You've got the plan, just keep calling them back until you get a support person that will send you a new one. Pretty sure the all have the discretion to do so...

See my post #2 above. They're sending me a new cell in the mail for me to install.

I didn't quite get what you were saying. They sent you a flow switch? You installed it and it didn't solve the problem? What's the hold up? There is no other replaceable part, right? They should just mail you a new one and you can put it in yourself. Why the need for the 80-mile guy, or any Pentair guy? It's a user-replaceable part, other than maybe your filter gauge, it's about the easiest one.

You've got the plan, just keep calling them back until you get a support person that will send you a new one. Pretty sure the all have the discretion to do so...

i asked for a cell when I was with my builder. they said they know it’s a issue. This guy wanted the rep to come out to make the choice. This tech was horrible. Was on the defense cause they even sent us the flow switch. It was Friday and my builder didn’t feel like dealing with it so he said yeah I’ll call my rep on Monday his rep is busy this week so he’s coming up next week so pretty much we’re just going through the motions I figured don’t push it wait for the wrap because it’s no big deal and if I don’t get the answer I want then I call myself and I demand a new cell.

My builder want to wait for the rep so I’m gonna wait for the rep. I have a very good working relationship with my builder who have known my entire life and I know he also will watch out for me so if he wants to go through the motions so be.

Gotcha. So you didn't try the new flow switch? I'm just curious, because it would be good info for TFP to have, whether this is actually a flow switch problem or not. They're not sending me a switch, so I can't determine that on my unit...

I said above we put in a new flow switch last Friday. No go. Same. So we called back and got the guy who didn’t want to hear it.

****It it seems like pentair's new answer is changing to its a software issue that until There is a fix to live with the cell you have because the only thing wrong with it is not getting the feedback on the salt level that the unit itself knows what’s going on in is working properly. *** the tech on the phone was pretty stern with me that why do i think it is a big deal if the unit doesn't report the salt level? that i should be doing my own testing anyway. i simply said it's because u advertise it does and now it doesn't and that it has been a known issue which is not fixed but you still advertise it works. when we have audio/video gear with software issues the manufacturer will issue a statement that we know there is an issue and are working on it.

I also want to know that my salt level went low because we have had a lot of rain and I have been taking a lot of water out of the pool and I got the red low salt level the other day but screen logic did not tell me I had a little salt level so not only are we getting a zero for this issue we also don’t get feedback that the salt level is low or high on screen logic I’m assuming now because I got no feedback that it was low. So now I find myself going out to my cell more often to check if the salt level is low or just even to make sure the stupid thing is working

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.