Mar 16, 2016
Akron/NY
Just reinstalled my pentair ic40 and am wondering if I might have a bad cell. Brought the chlorine level up to 4ppm and turned the system on. According to my readings my FC needs to 5ppm with a cya level of 80. I started at 50 percent and have gradually increased now up to 80 percent. Currently I am hovering at 3.6 FC. Cleaned cell yesterday very little bubbles from the acid wash so the cell was clean. The cell has less than a season of use on it and all lights are reading as they should.

FC 3.6
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 80
PH 7.6

Taylor 2006. It's been pretty steady at 3.6 to 4. Regardless of what percentage I pit it at. I tested early this morning and it was in that range. I feel like I should slam just to take that out of the equation. I've been testing multiple times a day.

- - - Updated - - -

12 hours daily

R,

Could be a bad cell, but I doubt it if all the lights are green.

Most logical issue is that something like algae is eating your chlorine faster than your cell can make it, or you are just not running your pump long enough.

I agree with BJE about doing an OCLT... Here are the specific directions... Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

How long are you running the pump to make chlorine?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Ok, so here's a chart for hourly run time for the IC-40 which produced 1.4lbs Cl2 (Chlorine Gas) per 24hour at 100% in your 21000 gal pool.

swg_IC40@21000g.PNG
Based on a 12 hour run time you probably have a roughly 3ppm FC demand. That's not unreasonable. your demand depends on a lot of factors, bather load, weather, chemistry, sun exposure, etc.

At the end of the day, you'll want to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test WITH YOUR SWG OFF (I just unplug the cable from the box, but leave the pump running to make sure the water is well circulated). If you fail the test, then a SLAM is in your future. If you pass, then you just need to find the right pump run time / percentage combination. The chart above is a guideline.

You can also crank up the IC-40 to 100% and then take a sample right from the jet a few minutes later. the test should read higher.

I hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I lower the Cya by doing a drain or just crank the swg to 100 percent for 15 hours.
Well, I guess that's up to you. I mean 80 isn't TOO high, it's just at the high end of the recommended range. The disadvantage is if you need to SLAM, it will take a lot more bleach./Cl to do it.

Have you glanced at the CYA/FC chart in pool school? I'd link it but I'm on mobile right now. That might help. Personally, I wouldn't drain it because it costs so much in water, but that's my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.