iaqualink schedule help

dsmaddox

Sep 2, 2021
Houston, Texas
First time pool owner here. Im having a hard time getting iaqualink to run a schedule that changes the speed of my variable pump.

The pool is a small 8000 gallon pool and I run the pool pump (filter pump) for 12 hours per day.

The schedule Im attempting to run looks like this:

8:30 am - 10:00 am - Run Filter Pump at 80 gpm (to circulate water and level the water out between the water feature, spa, and pool)
8:45 am - 9:00 am - Run water feature to push out of leaves and flowers that fell in
9:00 am - 9:45 am - Run cleaner at 80 gpm
10:00 am - 8:30 pm - Run Filter pump at 20 gpm

This schedule should circulate my pool a little over twice per day.

For some reason, the schedule runs the pump at whatever speed the Cleaner is set at.

Ill attach some screenshots below (I currently have the cleaner set at 50 because that appears to be what the whole pool is running at, even though the cleaner isn't on).

Attachments

• schedule.jpg
    schedule.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 60
  • VSP Setting.jpg
    VSP Setting.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to TFP.

Pool turnover is a myth. It does not matter how little or much you circulate the water.

You want your Filter/Pump schedule to be 8:30AM to 8:30PM at 20 GPM as your base pump schedule.

Is your CLEANER on a different pump then your Filter/Pump?

Is your Water Feature Pump on a different pump then your Filter/Pump?

@PoolGate can help you straighten this out.

I see you have this scheduled as a Group. So be sure you are scheduling run times of equipment all in the same group.
I use the Filter Pump circuit to include the entire time I want the VSP to run - so if that is 12 hrs 8;30am to 8;30pm

Then schedule the VSP labels to fall within that 12 hrs. I use Speed (not Flow) but the pump will run at which every speed (or flow) is the highest if any times overlap.
There should have been a preset flow labeled as Pool as the #1, then Spa as #2 and Cleaner as #3. Refer to page 35 of the Owner's Manual. I think you have set the Cleaner to #1 and that is causing some of the issue.

Schedule Filter Pump to run 12 hrs
Schedule Pool to run the same 12 hrs
Schedule Cleaner to run as desired
Schedule Filter to run as desired.

You may want to delete all and start fresh on the scheduling

PS - I am just learning this as well as just recently installed the iAquaLink 3.0-RS to replace my old PDA with Aqualink RS
I am on my second redo of scheduling but it is now all working fine. I did not put in Groups yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rcrtfp
I’ll have to see if the previous owner left the manual.
The manual is too large to attach to any post. Go to Jandy website. I use the manual HO433600 which is about 50 pages.
You can go under Automation systems, and look at the manuals

Reactions: nieuport17
One other point, you said you have a cleaner. Does it have a booster pump? If so, you need to verify that the dip switch #1 is ON. The dip switches is on side of the main board. You need to take the faceplate off of the cabinet to see the dip switch group.

Here’s your problem. You have renamed the VSP speeds but the Aqualink system associates Speed 1 with the pump/filter function. This speed is normally named Pool, you have renamed it to Cleaner, but internally Speed 1 is still associated with the pump/filter function.

Likewise the Cleaner function is associated with Speed 3 assuming you have the Cleaner DIP switch enabled. You have renamed this to FILTER, but the Aqualink system ignores this and uses Speed 3 as the cleaner speed.

Speed 2 is associated with the SPA function regardless of the naming in the VSP table.

As for the VSP settings the highest speed wins when multiple speeds are enabled at the same time.

To fix your issues rename Speed 1 to Pool and set it for 20 gals/min for the full duration that the pump is running. This will set the default flow rate when no other functions are active.

Rename Speed 3 to Cleaner and set that for 50 GPM (or 80 GPM if that is what you want) with a 9:00 to 9:45 am activation time.

To run the pump at 80 GPM from 8:30 am to 10 am add a VSP speed item using the Cleaner Speed for this time duration. You don’t want to actually run the Cleaner function this whole time you just want to add a VSP speed setting (from other equipment menu) and choose the cleaner speed setting since it is 80 GPM.

Since your water feature setting is also running in the same period it will run at 80 GPM unless you add a different VSP speed setting during its period.

When the Cleaner function and VSP setting of 80 GPM time out at 10 am the 20 GPM from the filter/pump, speed 1 setting will take over for the duration of the pumps run time.

I hope this makes sense as it can get a little complicated. The key to understanding the behavior you are seeing is that the first three speed settings are associated with specific functions regardless of what you name them, and that the fastest active speed wins out.

By the way 80 GPM is a lot of flow and above the recommend flow for 2” pipe. There’s really no need to run this flow in most cases. You can probably easily reduce these numbers to the 60 GPM range as that is what you will probably get through 2” pipe anyway.

EDIT: I should have also added that Speeds 4, 5, and 6 are also associated with the Spillover, Pool Heat, and Spa Heat assuming you have the Spillover DIP switch enabled. These speed settings shouldn’t be renamed as Aqualink associates them with those specific functions.

You are really only able to freely rename Speeds 7 and 8 and have the Speed associated with the name alone. It doesn’t completely make sense but that’s how it works in practice.

Last edited:
Here’s your problem. You have renamed the VSP speeds but the Aqualink system associates Speed 1 with the pump/filter function. This speed is normally named Pool, you have renamed it to Cleaner, but internally Speed 1 is still associated with the pump/filter function.

Likewise the Cleaner function is associated with Speed 3 assuming you have the Cleaner DIP switch enabled. You have renamed this to FILTER, but the Aqualink system ignores this and uses Speed 3 as the cleaner speed.

Speed 2 is associated with the SPA function regardless of the naming in the VSP table.

As for the VSP settings the highest speed wins when multiple speeds are enabled at the same time.

To fix your issues rename Speed 1 to Pool and set it for 20 gals/min for the full duration that the pump is running. This will set the default flow rate when no other speeds are active.

Rename Speed 3 to Cleaner and set that for 50 GPM (or 80 GPM if that is what you want) with a 9:00 to 9:45 am activation time.

To run the pump at 80 GPM from 8:30 am to 10 am add a VSP speed item using the Cleaner Speed for this time duration. You don’t want to actually run the Cleaner function this whole time you just want to add a VSP speed setting (from other equipment menu) and choose the cleaner speed setting since it is 80 GPM.

Since your water feature setting is also running in the same period it will run at 80 GPM unless you add a different VSP speed setting during its period.

When the Cleaner function and VSP setting of 80 GPM time out at 10 am the 20 GPM from the filter/pump, speed 1 setting will take over for the duration of the pumps run time.

I hope this makes sense as it can get a little complicated. The key to understanding the behavior you are seeing is that the first three speed settings are associated with specific functions regardless of what you name them, and that the fastest active speed wins out.

By the way 80 GPM is a lot of flow and above the recommend flow for 2” pipe. There’s really no need to run this flow in most cases. You can probably easily reduce these numbers to the 60 GPM range as that is what you will probably get through 2” pipe anyway.

EDIT: I should have also added that Speeds 4, 5, and 6 are also associated with the Spillover, Pool Heat, and Spa Heat assuming you have the Spillover DIP switch enabled. These speed settings shouldn’t be renamed as Aqualink associates them with those specific functions.

You are really only able to freely rename Speeds 7 and 8 and have the Speed associated with the name alone. It doesn’t completely make sense but that’s how it works in practice.
Good Info.
Question on Cleaner.
Do you need to schedule the VSP time and also schedule the booster pump separately at the identical time? Or does the internal software link them and if it does, do you schedule the Cleaner Pump or do you schedule the VSP Cleaner speed?

No, for most functions you don’t ever have to mess with scheduling the VSP speed setting. You schedule the function(s) you want and the system automatically pulls the associated speed(s) from the VSP table.

When the filter/pump function runs it automatically uses Speed 1 - Pool
If the Spa mode is enabled it uses Speed 2 - Spa
Likewise when the Cleaner function is active it uses Speed 3 - Cleaner
and so on with the spillover, pool heat, and spa heat functions.

On my system I have a Solar system so I have Speed 7 named Solar Heat and the system automatically changes the pump speed when the Solar Heat is on.

With the Pool Heat, Spa Heat, and Solar Heat it should be noted that the pump only changes it’s speed setting when the heat is active. If one of the Heat settings is enabled but off because the pool / spa has reached temperature the pump will switch back to the Speed 1 (pool) or speed 2 (spa) if that mode is active.

In general you really never should have to add separate VSP speed items to your schedule unless you are doing something special. Most of the operating functions already have one of the eight speeds associated with them, so when you enable the function the Aqualink pulls the associated VSP speed automatically.

When any of the schedules are running you can also manually select the VSP speed and choose any of the eight speeds, or enter a custom speed and the pump will go faster or slower when you set the speed. In the case of the manual entry the “fastest active speed rule” no longer applies and the pump will go to the speed setting you enter and stay there until the schedule next changes a function that affects the speed.

One exception to this is when any of the Heat modes are running. If the Pool Heat is on and you try and manually change the VSP speed you may increase the speed but you may not go lower than the associated heat speed setting. This is to protect the heater from operating with to low of a water flow.

Another reason for not using VSP speed settings in your schedule directly is that they can be confusing. Let’s say that I run the Cleaner function for an hour and later in the day I want to run the pump at Cleaner Speed but with the cleaner off. To enter this you would put the Cleaner function and a VSP speed of Cleaner in the schedule for the time you want each to run. Now you will have two Cleaner items in the schedule, one that runs the cleaner, booster, and JVA valve if you have it with the pump running at the cleaner speed, and the second cleaner item which just changes the pump speed. These both look the same in the schedule, they each show up as Cleaner, and this can be real confusing as they do two different things.

If you do want to run a different speed in a schedule for some reason then I would use Speeds 7 and 8 which are not associated with anything and name them uniquely. You can just use a name of Speed 7, or in my case I have named speed 8 with the name of Speed 2100. Then if this VSP speed is added to a schedule the name is unique and won’t be confused with any associated function.

I’ve probably confused you by now?

Some of this you just have to program up and see how it works as a lot of the nuances aren’t very well documented in the manuals.

I hope this helps,

edit: just to add to this the functions of Cleaner, Spillway, and Spa Mode automatically turn on the filter/pump function so you don’t have to schedule the filter/pump as a separate entry with the same timing. PractIcally though you will want to have a filter/pump schedule item that spans the whole time the pump is on, and then add the cleaner, spillway, or other functions as a subset of the overall time.

-Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: ramblinwreck001

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm..... I have never seen "GPM" as a speed setting on all the systems I have worked on it is the RPM. +1 - Return the keywords back!

1630664664639.png

Actually this was well explained. I need to digest some of this and go back into my schedule to review but overall I appreciate this details. As you say, the manual is very "lacking" in detail plus their graphics change for each setting so it is hard to follow what they are trying to tell you. Thanks.

Hmm..... I have never seen "GPM" as a speed setting on all the systems I have worked on it is the RPM. +1 - Return the keywords back!

View attachment 369752
My understanding is that if you have the IntelliFlo VSF pump, you have the option to select the VS pump option or the VF pump option when setting up in the VSP menu. My assumption if you choose VF then you will see GPM rather than RPM

My understanding is that if you have the IntelliFlo VSF pump, you have the option to select the VS pump option or the VF pump option when setting up in the VSP menu. My assumption if you choose VF then you will see GPM rather than RPM
While there is a pump setting for the intelliflow VSF pump in the Aqualink system I have never heard of it working. Most information that I’ve seen on the forum says that it may have worked in the past at some point, but protocol changes by Pentair at some point caused it to no longer work. I’m with @PoolGate here, normally VSP speeds are entered in RPM.

I have a Vgreen 165 motor that I enabled the Jandy RS-485 protocol on and my pump motor looks like a Jandy ePump as far as the Aqualink system knows and it also uses RPM in the VSP table. It also reports the speed in RPM.

8445B1D1-55B1-4F63-A6F9-D440B0AF0D9D.png
@dsmaddox doesn’t say what type of pump he has and his signature line isn’t filled out so we don’t know the type of pump he has.

Thanks everyone. The settings were what the previous owner had, I was trying to reduce the VSP a little more.

I got it to work correctly this morning. Had to run it at 30 gpm to get it to cascade over the spa and water feature ledge.

as far as the booster pump, it does have one. The water feature is also on a separate pump.

thanks again

No, for most functions you don’t ever have to mess with scheduling the VSP speed setting. You schedule the function(s) you want and the system automatically pulls the associated speed(s) from the VSP table.

When the filter/pump function runs it automatically uses Speed 1 - Pool
If the Spa mode is enabled it uses Speed 2 - Spa
Likewise when the Cleaner function is active it uses Speed 3 - Cleaner
and so on with the spillover, pool heat, and spa heat functions.

On my system I have a Solar system so I have Speed 7 named Solar Heat and the system automatically changes the pump speed when the Solar Heat is on.

With the Pool Heat, Spa Heat, and Solar Heat it should be noted that the pump only changes it’s speed setting when the heat is active. If one of the Heat settings is enabled but off because the pool / spa has reached temperature the pump will switch back to the Speed 1 (pool) or speed 2 (spa) if that mode is active. I think it runs the faster heat speed for three minutes after the heater turns off for the cool down cycle before switching back to the lower speed.

In general you really never should have to add separate VSP speed items to your schedule unless you are doing something special. Most of the operating functions already have one of the eight speeds associated with them, so when you enable the function the Aqualink pulls the associated VSP speed automatically.

When any of the schedules are running you can also manually select the VSP speed and choose any of the eight speeds, or enter a custom speed and the pump will go faster or slower when you set the speed. In the case of the manual entry the “fastest active speed rule” no longer applies and the pump will go to the speed setting you enter and stay there until the schedule next changes a function that affects the speed.

One exception to this is when any of the Heat modes are running. If the Pool Heat is on and you try and manually change the VSP speed you may increase the speed but you may not go lower than the associated heat speed setting. This is to protect the heater from operating with to low of a water flow.

Another reason for not using VSP speed settings in your schedule directly is that they can be confusing. Let’s say that I run the Cleaner function for an hour and later in the day I want to run the pump at Cleaner Speed but with the cleaner off. To enter this you would put the Cleaner function and a VSP speed of Cleaner in the schedule for the time you want each to run. Now you will have two Cleaner items in the schedule, one that runs the cleaner, booster, and JVA valve if you have it with the pump running at the cleaner speed, and the second cleaner item which just changes the pump speed. These both look the same in the schedule, they each show up as Cleaner, and this can be real confusing as they do two different things.

If you do want to run a different speed in a schedule for some reason then I would use Speeds 7 and 8 which are not associated with anything and name them uniquely. You can just use a name of Speed 7, or in my case I have named speed 8 with the name of Speed 2100. Then if this VSP speed is added to a schedule the name is unique and won’t be confused with any associated function.

Some of this you just have to program up and see how it works as a lot of the nuances aren’t very well documented in the manuals.

I hope this helps,

edit: just to add to this the functions of Cleaner, Spillway, and Spa Mode automatically turn on the filter/pump function so you don’t have to schedule the filter/pump as a separate entry with the same timing. PractIcally though you will want to have a filter/pump schedule item that spans the whole time the pump is on, and then add the cleaner, spillway, or other functions as a subset of the overall time.

-Mark
Just for clarification. I made some changes to my Schedule but see the screen shot. Are you saying that I do NOT need the Pool Schedule as it is a duplicate to the Filter Pump schedule? I thought I had read differently but reviewing again.
Schedule 2021-09-03.png

You do not need both. Post a pic of your speeds again. #1 should be named "Pool". How did you even get "Pool" into your schedule? That is not even an option in my setup.

Also - posting those print-screens is fine and very helpful, but right after you post those, logout and back into Aqualink. That identifier on your pic I believe anyone can enter in their browser and control your system. I logout/back in right after I post any print screens.

I think filter/pump is the function and Pool is a VSP speed adjustment.

And @PoolGate is right you don’t want both of these items in the schedule. You don’t have to add VSP speed adjustments to the schedule as separate items.

Just schedule Filter/Pump and it will automatically use the Pool speed from the VSP speed table.

What’s going on with the two Cleaner entries? Are you running the Cleaner twice, or is one of these entries a speed change only? If the one of the Cleaner entries is a VSP speed adjustment you don’t need to do this specifically in the schedule unless you have a specific purpose in doing so.

This is illustrating that the adding the speed adjustments in the scheduling can be confusing, especially when using a speed with a Keyword assigned to functions.

Last edited:
I think filter/pump is the function and Pool is a VSP speed adjustment.

And @PoolGate is right you don’t want both of these items in the schedule. You don’t have to add VSP speed adjustments to the schedule as separate items.

Just schedule Filter/Pump and it will automatically use the Pool speed from the VSP speed table.

What’s going on with the two Cleaner entries? Are you running the Cleaner twice, or is one of these entries a speed change only? If the one of the Cleaner entries is a VSP speed adjustment you don’t need to do this specifically in the schedule unless you have a specific purpose in doing so.

This is illustrating that the adding the speed adjustments in the scheduling can be confusing, especially when using a speed with a Keyword assigned to functions.
Here is my 8 speeds for the VSP.
I set up 3 individual speeds - I do not need to use the spillover feature (whole separate story even though I have a spa). so set up a Lo, Med and High speed for skimming needs.
I run my cleaner twice a day. Therefore scheduled it twice.
VSP Speed Settings.PNG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.