I use Glass Media in a Sand Filter

SuperNJdad

May 16, 2021
Allendale, New Jersey
I have a Hayward Super Pump 1 hp paired with a Hayward S244T filter. In 2011, I converted to glass media after trying sand, then zeo Crud - I have a 33k gallon pool which can be challenging. The biggest issue here in the north east USA with glass is the cost - shipping is a fortune.

However, if you want the simplest pool maintenance possible, glass might be the answer. I now have a salt generator with a pool tool anode, and have had very little problems. I have a digital intermatic timer, which makes adding more filtration time easier.

what I didn’t realize is that on my Hayward filter, they recommend only 6” gap from top to the media, and until I did this, the pressure was too low and wasn’t building up over time as it cleaned. After adding another 1-1/2 bags of Vitro Glass media, everything is much better. The pool cloudiness cleared in just a few hours and everything looks great.

The major pool retailers need to start selling glass media for the price to come down. It’s a superior product IMHO. There is little to no chemical reaction with the pool chemistry, which is a major benefit. Also you’re filtering down to the 5 to 10 micron range, able to backwash with 50% less water and rise quickly.

Overall, it’s the most cost efficient, because you spend less money fixing other issues, and I’ve only added more over the past few years. Just take a layer or two off, and reinvigorate your glass filter media.

Hey SND !!

Overall, it’s the most cost efficient, because you spend less money fixing other issues
Can you elaborate here please ? Sand causes no issues. It’s older than time and will outlive us all by a gazillion years.

The average pool owner gumming it up with algae, floccs and clarifiers isn’t the sands fault.

Put a knee-high nylon, a foodservice hairnet, or a skimmer sock over your skimmer basket and it will strain out most of the pollen and anything bigger than pollen. Cuts way down on filter clogging, since the filter only has to deal with microscopic stuff.
+1 on the socks. Also have DE and I only backwash it before I'm about to take it apart to clean it. I've literally never had the pressure rise more than a psi or two. Whatever you decide to do about your filter, these will definitely go a long way to your goal of easier maintenance.

My first home w a pool had glass media.
I had to do a slam one time as a victim of that Bioguard cya reducer. (Which did nothing btw)
Second home w a pool was just sand.

In my experience glass works equally as well as sand, but I wouldn't say one is superior to the other.

My first home w a pool had glass media.
I had to do a slam one time as a victim of that Bioguard cya reducer. (Which did nothing btw)
Second home w a pool was just sand.

In my experience glass works equally as well as sand, but I wouldn't say one is superior to the other.
Newdude People say the glass last longer than sand. I've used sand once, and I couldn't tell you one way or the other which is better. I've heard of people adding DE to sand filters so it sits on top of the sand to filter smaller microns but I dont know if that even works.

"Bioguard cya reducer. (Which did nothing btw)"

Yeah I know, but you have to use it correctly. It does work though, if you use it on a full moon, and don't feed after it midnight, and never ever get it wet. It says on the back of the bag no skinny dipping or running after eatting, oh and it also takes about 20lbs of it too. Most important you have to lower your CYA levels below 50ppm first before you begin the processin order to work. You clearly didn't read the instructions. I stupidly thought I could just use three bags of that Crud to lower CYA more than like 5ppm. But people tell me all the time its works, I've just never seen it with my own eyes. I should have just went skinny dipping instead.

• Haha
Reactions: Oly and Newdude
Sand has lasted a bazillion years so far and if you haven't gummed it up with strange pool store potions it will last another century, at least!

I don't believe you can add DE to glass media. Which in turn only makes another reason to use sand, IMO.

Maddie :flower:

Newdude People say the glass last longer than sand.
A) not if the sand hasn't been gummed up with magic pool store stuffs
B) he said sand caused 'other issues' 👇
because you spend less money fixing other issues

Sand does not cause any issues.

Unless,.......the pool is so inviting and the bag of sand does *not* prohibit skinny dipping. So you go sans pantaloons and the neighbors see and call the cops and then.....Yeah
Maybe get the glass media because you won't go to jail for public indecency. But other than *that*, sand causes NO issues.

A) not if the sand hasn't been gummed up with magic pool store stuffs
B) he said sand caused 'other issues' 👇

Sand does not cause any issues.

Unless,.......the pool is so inviting and the bag of sand does *not* prohibit skinny dipping. So you go sans pantaloons and the neighbors see and call the cops and then.....Yeah
Maybe get the glass media because you won't go to jail for public indecency. But other than *that*, sand causes NO issues.
I meant to say I have only used Glass once not sand. I've used sand hundreds of times.

I always hear from others who use glass that it works better. And it should because it's activated glass, but I dont see how it will out last sand like they say. If anything glass will fill in faster then need to be changed.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.