I thought I was doing Ok until ...

I'm also on a well so I had water trucked in for my water exchanges. It also has the advantage that the pool is filled back up very quickly. I ran my low end down to about 12" of water so I was concerned that the liner might shift. Knowing I could refill quickly helped me feel better about the whole process. Keep in mind that your mileage may vary and that there is an element of risk any time you lower the water level that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: jennikz
Good news is ... I ran the 1/2 and 1/2 test, and it's hanging about 50ish, so I'm not much over 100, if at all.

So, today, I was able to drain about 3 inches out, to below the skimmer. I know it won't help much, but it will have to do for now and I'll refill sparingly throughout the day.
I'm also on a well so I had water trucked in for my water exchanges. It also has the advantage that the pool is filled back up very quickly. I ran my low end down to about 12" of water so I was concerned that the liner might shift. Knowing I could refill quickly helped me feel better about the whole process. Kind in mind that your mileage may vary and that there is an element of risk any time you lower the water level that much.
That's what we did when we filled, but it's near impossible to get a water truck to come to my house. I am going to continue to drain some here and there. I know it will take a lot of time and several drainings, but if I can even get it down a little at a time, that is better than nothing at all, at least for the remainder of this summer.

Also, if I can manage to get a water truck scheduled to come in, how do you recommend draining below the skimmer? Can i just "vacuum to waste"?

My main drain and skimmer are on separate lines so I can close the valve to the skimmer and drain below that level. I was still sucking some air so I put a plug in the skimmer as well. Don't forget to remove any plugs and open any valves once you are finished. I munched a pump that way one time.

Reactions: jennikz
CYA at or near 100 is a problem, but with diligence it can be managed and with your very short pool season, I wouldn’t give up all my pool time to draining and refilling. Just keep the FC at a higher level (based on the CYA/FC Chart). Be very careful to do regular testing and maintain the proper chlorine level, because an algae bloom would be nearly impossible to combat. You can start next season with more ideal levels and confidence in your skills at testing and managing your water.

CYA at or near 100 is a problem, but with diligence it can be managed and with your very short pool season, I wouldn’t give up all my pool time to draining and refilling. Just keep the FC at a higher level (based on the CYA/FC Chart). Be very careful to do regular testing and maintain the proper chlorine level, because an algae bloom would be nearly impossible to combat. You can start next season with more ideal levels and confidence in your skills at testing and managing your water.
Yes thank you! That’s my plan as of now … manage the chlorine at higher levels and when we close for winter, we will drain more and deal with reopening in the spring.

Ok guys. Over the last few weeks I e managed to get my cya down to about 75.

so here’s my latest numbers …

FC 8
Ph 7.8
Alk 170
CH 270
Cya 70-80

My ph keeps creeping up, and I assume that’s because the alkalinity is high. I bought muriatic acid and I’m ready to lower alkalinity but how? Use the poolmath app? My fear is adding too much.

I read to bring ph down to 7.0-7.2 with acid then bring it back up by aerating. The only way I have to aerate is to point my jet up more. Will that work? Will the low ph affect swimmers? Can we still swim during this process or no?

Can anyone spell this out in “kid words” to help me out? Thank you in advance.

Can anyone spell this out in “kid words” to help me out? Thank you in advance.
When your pH reaches 8, use Poolmath to determine how much acid to add to lower the pH to 7.4. Repeat. Test TA everytime the pH reaches 8.

When your pH reaches 8, use Poolmath to determine how much acid to add to lower the pH to 7.4. Repeat. Test TA everytime the pH reaches 8.
So don’t worry with the alkalinity right now? Not til ph is 8 at least? I suspect it will be 8 within a day or so.

also, what about the swimming during this process? Only asking because the next few days are to be 90s and very hot. Should I wait? Or go for it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TA has little effect on things. It can enhance scaling but you do not have that issue. It allows the pH to rise quicker, so just manage pH. So no need to mess with aerating, etc. Just test pH every other day or so and adjust when it hits 8.
There is nothing to harm you - you are keeping your pH and FC within Recommended Levels. That is all that matters.

The TA has little effect on things. It can enhance scaling but you do not have that issue. It allows the pH to rise quicker, so just manage pH. So no need to mess with aerating, etc. Just test pH every other day or so and adjust when it hits 8.
There is nothing to harm you - you are keeping your pH and FC within Recommended Levels. That is all that matters.
Thank you tons! This stuff confuses me but I’m trying! 🙂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.