Jul 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey Everyone,

I have been testing my chlorine and pH every other day since we opened our pool. Both have been reading ok... chlorine between 3-6 and pH about 7.5. I have 3 different test kits and aquachek strips ... so, I have the Taylor 2006, a cheap chlorox kit and also the HTH 6 way kit.

So tested last night, and I got chlorine at 5-10; pH 7.5; alk 150 ... then I went to test the hardness and it wasn't even reading. According to my HTH kit, i should put the 5 drops in and the water should be blue... then add titrant until it turns red. Problem is, it never turns red. It's a kind of pee yellow instead of blue and if I add drops, it turns green ...

I decided to get the pool store to test, and their readings are WAYYYY off from what mine are.

Store is telling me FC is 1.39. TC is 1.51. pH is 8.1. Alk is 107 but adjusted alk is 75. Hardness is 196 and CYA is 107.

First question ... is the CYA manageable?

Second, why are store numbers so much different than mine? ALL the kits I have show similar ranges and now the store is wayyy off of the results that I'm getting. (I didn't test CYA at home, but last time I did, it was right around 100 so that seems to be the only number that is remotely close to what I'm seeing at home)

Any help/ideas much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
You have a quality test kit in the K2006. Run a full set of tests using that kit and post them here. Those are the only ones we will provide guidance from.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Okay … I ran the Taylor kit.
Here’s what I got:
0.5 CC
3 FC
7.6 ph
120 alk
220 hardness
80 cya

OK, now put your full pool description in your signature. Look at mine or Marty's as an example. How you chlorinate your pool is important to know, too.

Reactions: jennikz
Thank you!

You need chlorine. Now. See FC/CYA Levels

Please fill out your signature. If you have a plaster pool, you may want to consider adding some calcium.

Thank you!

You need chlorine. Now. See FC/CYA Levels

Please fill out your signature. If you have a plaster pool, you may want to consider adding some calcium.
I see that! So do I shock? I’m uncertain on how to get the levels that high.

Also, are you saying this cya is manageable as long as I get the chlorine to what that chart says?

Add liquid chlorine. You need to do this every day. What are you using now for chlorinating your pool water? No more solid chlorine, your CYA is already high.

Use PoolMath

Bleach is Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite.

You can use household bleach. Stay away from anything that says splashless, scented, fabric protection, cloromax, etc.

Reactions: jennikz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You can use household bleach. Stay away from anything that says splashless, scented, fabric protection, cloromax, etc.
Thank you so so much for the help! I am removing tablets now and going to add some regular bleach until I can get some liquid.
I appreciate all your help tremendously!

Reactions: mknauss
Hello All,

I posted the other day about my higher CYA levels and was led to the chart... so my CYA is hanging at about 80ish. (I haven't tested since the other day because I'm waiting on my new Taylor kit to arrive within the next day or so) ... but since then, I drained SOME water (not nearly enough) but with that and some evaporation and splash out, I'm hoping to get it down a bit lower than 80...

But my question is this: Since my cya is at about 80, it is recommended that I keep my min. FC at 6, and the target is 9-11 ... with these higher FC levels, will my liner or swim attire get bleached out faster? Or is it ok at this level because the water would be balanced then? I know this seems like a stupid question ... But I was curious.

Also, I have taken my floater out and purchased liquid chlorine. So, I guess this means I need to test chlorine every day and add liquid when needed. Is there a "chart" for how much liquid I need to add to maintain a certain level? I know this will be based on how many gallons, location, temperature, etc, but I was just looking for a rough idea as a baseline to start with, if that makes sense.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

You can use household bleach. Stay away from anything that says splashless, scented, fabric protection, cloroma

One more question for you ... What should my CC level be? Is this in the app to? Is there somewhere that explains CC and FC for a beginner? I think thats what I'm most confused on at this point.

One more question for you ... What should my CC level be? Is this in the app to? Is there somewhere that explains CC and FC for a beginner? I think thats what I'm most confused on at this point.
You’d want it to be <1ppm. If it is higher you might have some Algae bloom. Please review the links provided (ABC of Pool Chemistry, etc.) it will explain what combined chlorine (CC) is in more detail. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

You’d want it to be <1ppm. If it is higher you might have some Algae bloom. Please review the links provided (ABC of Pool Chemistry, etc.) it will explain what combined chlorine (CC) is in more detail. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
I have read this but the CC, FC and TC have me so confused. haha!!! I'm reading the other stuff now, but I'm still confused.... If CC doesn't need to be tested as regularly, do I need to test Total Chlorine? Or am I only to worry with FC?

What I'd really wished I'd have done was NOT LISTENED to to pool store when the guy told me to add the WHOLE bottle of the stablilizer ... I came home, and thought to myself "I know I can't have a high cya" but I also told myself the pool place is the "pro", so listen to them... and that's what I did. NEVER AGAIN because now my cya is high and I'm mad at myself for not adding just a little at a time. :rolleyes:

ALSO, my husband thinks I'm crazy because I told him we need to drain some and he doesn't understand the chemistry at all ... he just looks at me like I need committed when I tell him there is no other way to lower it. I'm so mad at myself. I wouldn't be having these issues if it weren't for the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.