I think my Intermatic PF1102T died

Mar 15, 2016
Fort Mill/SC
So short version, i got a leak in some plumbing from filter to pvc, I ordered a new piece, it took a week to get here, I turned the timer/pump/swg off with my cutoff switch. When I got everything replaced, went to turn it on to test and nothing turns on. If I keep rotating the timer over and over, sometimes the lights on the VS Superflow pump will flash for a second. I dont think I even need the timer, since I have VS Superflow which has it's own schedule but no freeze protection. I dont know if somehow I broke both the SWG and the pump, but honestly not sure how to even wire everything together if I remove the timer to even check either device. I had an electrician come out and they said its getting power to the timer, but that's all he really checked. Thoughts? Is there some way I can just remove the timer out of the question? Or do I really just need to get a new timer? and is it possible it's not the timer? I took the panel out of the case and looked at the back and I dont see anything unusual. The black cable coming out of the bottom goes to my circupool SJ45. I have a Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.5 HP 115/208-230v. PXL_20230618_131419347.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible that maybe the SWG is just dead and the way its wired, is causing the pump to be dead, or vice versa? I was going to remove it to test, but when I look at the wiring, I dont know what I would do with the blue and yellow wires that go to it. This has been all hooked up this way for about 6 years. Added a picture of the back of the panel and another of the front.PXL_20230618_134341604.jpgPXL_20230618_134407317.jpg

VS pumps should have continuous power and not be controlled by an external timer.
The SWG should be on a timer - and the timer set to power the SWG only when the pump is running.

VS pumps should have continuous power and not be controlled by an external timer.
The SWG should be on a timer - and the timer set to power the SWG only when the pump is running.
yeah we basically just always leave it running and have taken out the red off. By some miracle after a few days of checking the electricity etc, I just left it on for an hour to see if I could tell if the time was at least advancing and everything started working after about 45 minutes. No idea why.....I guess its time to look into getting it removed and trying to figure out how that will work, since it seems like it could die at any moment.

The SWG needs to be on a timer so it turns off anytime the pump is off. The timer is the primary safety device for the SWG. the SWG flow switch is the secondary safety device. The ti er needs to be set to turn on and off. The VS pump needs continuous power and NOT be wired so it is controlled by the timer.

The SWG needs to be on a timer so it turns off anytime the pump is off. The timer is the primary safety device for the SWG. the SWG flow switch is the secondary safety device. The ti er needs to be set to turn on and off. The VS pump needs continuous power and NOT be wired so it is controlled by the timer.
They are both on the same timer, however we never turn our pump off and manage the swg separately, the timer was in place with the older pump that was there before we put in the new VS pump.

If you shut the timer off, does the pump stop?
If you shut the timer off, does the SWG shut off?

How are you managing the SWG separately?

If you shut the timer off, does the pump stop?
If you shut the timer off, does the SWG shut off?

How are you managing the SWG separately?
yes for the last 6 years they have both operated together, we leave the timer on all the time and cut power to both at the same time. sometimes we may turn off ONLY the SWG if we want to keep the pump running for some reason, or if we want it to run really really low, even at the lowest setting that we use 1400 rpm, we're still going to get more the 20 gpm.

The pump should NOT shut off when you turn the timer off. The pump uses the onboard timer and needs continuous power for it to operate correctly. The SWGnnpeeds to be on the separate timer.

The pump gets wired to the LINE side of the timer.
The SWG gets wired to the LOAD side of the timer.
This allows the pump to get continuous power and the SWG to be controlled by the timer.

There needs be a separate disconnect - within sight of the equipment pad - to remove power to the pump and SWG. The timer shouldn't be used for this required separate disconnect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless the pump and SWG are wired correctly, it is difficult to determine if the timer or the pump is the issue.

Since you plan on removing the timer and using a wifi switch for the SWG - wire the SWG to the new wifi switch and provide continuous power to the pump. Let us know if that resolves the issue.

its been running without issue for 24 hours now, and I have no idea why, so I'm just going to let it run until I have a plan in place. being without a pump for a week really got my water out of balance. so I'm hoping it continues to work until I have an idea what I should do, which sounds maybe like I should get a new timer. It's probably 15 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.