*** I think it's algae. First time issue in 10yrs

mp333

Jul 17, 2023
North Haven, CT
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am having my pool patio pavers replaced. It's a round gunite (25k Gal) pool and lots of cuts in the paver to fit the shape. So there has been some paver dust in the pool. The install is taking longer than expected. Any ways did have some dirt and sand like material at the bottom of the pool and it freely moved around. Figure I would clean it once they were done with the patio. Anyway the pool was running on schedule every day and for last two weeks it has dumping water into the hot tub and not the main pool. So much of the circulation other than the pump pulling water from the main drain in the pool. I am thinking this is my cause of the problem... Also it has been raining very hard here in northeast.

I added three gallons of shock and it seemed to loosen up a bit and then I had the water tested after and here are the results. Last pic is before I added phosphate remover and muratic acid.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

thumbnail_IMG_9420.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9418.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9417.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9416.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.
Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test This can confirm it is algae. it looks like aglae but since you have lots of other debris, lets do this overnight test.
Prepare to do a SLAM Process. This is NOT a just add shock treatment. This is a dedicated process to completely kill algae for the long term. How do you chlorinate your pool? You will need liquid chlorine to perform the SLAM. Also you will need a proper test kit. Test Kits Compared
You will need to test every 3-4 hrs during daylight so important to do your own testing. Order a test kit now so you can prepare for SLAM.

It seems to be clearing up. Cloudy for now. Give it another day. Hope fully it's all gone.
Thanks HermanTX. I am having the water tested.
The only way to be confident that it is gone is to do the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
As the only thing that would lower FC after dark is algae.

Welcome to TFP.
Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test This can confirm it is algae. it looks like aglae but since you have lots of other debris, lets do this overnight test.
Prepare to do a SLAM Process. This is NOT a just add shock treatment. This is a dedicated process to completely kill algae for the long term. How do you chlorinate your pool? You will need liquid chlorine to perform the SLAM. Also you will need a proper test kit. Test Kits Compared
You will need to test every 3-4 hrs during daylight so important to do your own testing. Order a test kit now so you can prepare for SLAM.
This is the way. The pool store test can’t be trusted, but even if it could I’d imagine 3 gallons of shock would take you way above 10ppm FC so something organic is likely eating it up.

You need a good test kit with FAS-DPD that HermanTX linked. Add 5ppm Chlorine daily until it arrives then perform the OCLT and likely SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.