I stopped backwashing

aholmes5

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2011
Houston, TX
I have a DE filter on my pool. I have stopped backwashing. When its time to clean the filter, I shutoff the pump, turn the valve to backwash and open the air vent at the top. This lets most of the water drain from the filter into the drain line. Then I disassemble everything and scrap the grids into a garbage bag. Then I spray down the grids till clean the rest of the way. I use a dilute acid solution in a spray bottle to get any calcium build up off the grids and rinse again. I open up the drain valve on the bottom of the tank and spray out any DE left. Reassemble, start the pump up, and vent the air.

Next, I have discovered that if you are using volume (coffee can, scoop etc) to measure DE there is absolutely no way to be consistent. Get a kitchen scale and bucket. I use an OXO 22lbs scale that has a detachable screen and a 5g paint bucket. There are decent scales to be had for less than $20 though. I put in 6 lbs exactly. I have discovered that the 12-1lb coffee can technique gives me anywhere from 6.5 to 8 lbs which is way too much. Since switching to weighing DE, I rarely have many big chunks sitting at the bottom of the grids or the filter tank. I make a slurry of DE and water in the bucket and pour very slowly into the skimmer furthest from the filter. I think this helps distribute the DE on the grids better.

I have found I save a lot of water with the above technique as you only waste 1 filter tank full of water. With backwashing, the pool frequently needed some filling which meant adding more salt, borax, and acid. I think spraying the grids off every time is worth the extra 45 minutes or so over traditional backwashing as everything gets completely clean. This also give the opportunity to inspect for tears, broken seals etc.

I just don't think backwashing really accomplishes much - I found that a completely clean system goes a lot longer before needing service than a backwashed system.

Also for my Pentair FNS DE filter, a must have tool is a 7/8" ratcheting wrench/spanner. This makes separating the halfs and removing the drain plug much quicker.

I'm done with backwashing as well. Cleaning the grids manually is quicker than backwashing and refilling the pool and I can clean off the air bleed as well since that always gets plugged with cotton. One suggestion, you shouldn't use muriatic acid solution on the grids unless you use TSP first to get the oils off.

I bought a ball valve and put that in place of the drain plug so that I can drain it into a hose which makes it much easier for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.