I need some help please!

Berniedef

Aug 15, 2020
Colorado
Hi, I’m new to the forum and new to taking care of a pool... after a lot of reading and trial and error I have made this site my only go to and problem solver. I have a cloudy pool that I am currently slamming. I’m on day 10 I think and the water is much better, I can see the bottom drains well but the water is still not clear, I have had one OCLT pass but that is it and I’m continuing faithfully with testing, brushing, and adding bleach according to pool math specifications. I did have a hiccup with an unexpected snow storm after a 96 degree Labor Day mind you but besides that day very faithful... I’m still seeing clouds of brown when I brush which reading tells me is algae. I brush the ledges and sun pad twice daily, I bought a dolphin nautilus cc and have been running it twice a day as well. I have a safety cover on the pool (lots of wildlife) so the pool is closed up when I’m not home.

Here are my questions.
Should I be brushing the bottom as well or is the dolphin enough for that?
Is there hope in sight for this ending lol?
My biggest question is that I’m leaving Monday for a week and don’t know what to do about the pool. I know the tabs and shock I was using before I found this site led to my high cya levels (80) and all of the other things I was putting in to the cloudy pool so I really don’t want to screw this up at this point.

I did read a thread about someone adding some algaecide during the SLAM at the end that helped them completely finish and wondering if anyone had thoughts on that?

I’d appreciate any and all suggestions!
Thank you!

EF517618-2EFF-4EE7-987E-903C034B6CB7.jpeg

I’ve just been testing for FC during the SLAM, pre SLAM ph 7.6 but dropped it to 7.2, TA 80 CH 450 CYA 80

That is a safety cover during our snow day this week lol.

Here are some pics I just took, you can see that the water looks nice on the pad but then it is cloudy in the pool, it has improved because at the beginning of the SLAM the water on the pad was cloudy as well.

2A0F335F-1411-4CD1-B115-D0FAC28B2368.jpeg2A65AA55-5D26-47ED-AEAB-DE53A17B7136.jpeg4A44DF5D-AB8A-4DF8-862D-9A093CC6DAFE.jpeg

Cover. Duh. :crazy: Looks like the water is close, but I'd continue to SLAM. Make sure to maintain the FC level at 31 and follow all the notes on the SLAM Process page. Inspect all areas closely that can hide algae such as the drain, light niche (if there is one), ladder, steps, etc. Make sure to give the water adequate exposure to the sun to burn off the CCs as well.

What should my plan be next week when I’m away, that’s what I’m worried about, should I put tabs in the pool?
With a CYA of 80, I wouldn't use tabs. Do you have anyone who can add X-amount of bleach once a day? When do you plan on closing?

Pat, what do you think? He averages out his last few daily doses, and has that amount poured in each day while he's gone. If the SLAM resolves, or even just the FC demand drops, the excess chlorine will just burn off eventually, no harm, except a little wasted $. Better than letting the FC drop and needing to start over.

Bernie, you make seven "piles" of chlorine jugs. Label them Sun, Mon, Tue, etc. Idiot proof. Then all you'll need is a volunteer. One that's been using your pool and needs to kick in to the effort, perhaps? Nice neighbor that works for beer? He comes over once or twice a day and uses one pile each day. Half in morning, half at night, something like that? I don't think you can leave it unattended. Otherwise you definitely risk having to start over when you get back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to use liquid. Do what'cha gotta do. Drive farther. Or plain bleach without any additives from the grocery or hardware store is fine to use (just generally a lower percentage of chlorine, but it's the same stuff). Pucks are the devil. They'll either mess with your CYA or your CH. Liquid does neither.

You are a prime candidate for an SWG, but we'll cross that bridge when you get back.

Thank you sooooo much for the help. I was worried about my CYA with the pucks, I am going to see if I can have someone come over and do it for me, I’ll stock up on liquid chlorine today, I’ve come this far and don’t want to lose all my progress. I really appreciate all of the help. I definitely am going to do my research on getting a SWG I just went into this build completely clueless and went with what I was told by the builder when it came to hardware. As for closing the pool, I haven’t planned anything yet, we are still enjoying great weather and I want to take advantage of it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.