I keep adding SO much chlorine everyday! It keeps burning off!

timmco

Apr 12, 2021
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my first summer owning a pool.
How much chlorine should I add per day?
I've been testing every night and my pool seems to be burning off so much chlorine during the day! I am having to add about 1 gallon every night to "maintain" the level at 9. And if a skip a day I have to add about 2 gallons.
I feel like if the chlorine level is anything less than 6 the water begins to look cloudy... So I've been trying to maintain the chlorine level at about 9 ( in case I have to miss a day it will be ok).
Is this normal to be adding so much (and loosing so much)? do I need to add some stabilizer?
My CYA is at 60 right now.

I am having to add about 1 gallon every night
That's sounds about right to me. You can expect a daily FC loss of 3-4 ppm per day during summer months in Texas. A gallon if 10% liquid chlorine will raise FC by 2.9 in your 35K gallon pool. The sun, along with kids swimming, burns chlorine fast this time of year.

Reactions: Chasarms and timmco
That's sounds about right to me. You can expect a daily FC loss of 3-4 ppm per day during summer months in Texas. A gallon if 10% liquid chlorine will raise FC by 2.9 in your 35K gallon pool. The sun, along with kids swimming, burns chlorine fast this time of year.
Ok good to know. I'm going to do the overnight test as suggested just to make sure. But this is reassuring to hear. Do you think keeping the chlorine level at 9 is over kill?

Higher than recommended levels of chlorine will burn off a little more quickly, but I do the same. I don't want to fall below minimum FC levels. Do your best not to skip days of dosing this time of year.

Reactions: timmco
How do I know how much to add each day? Or should I just test and add every dsy?

Did you pass the OCLT?

To maintain, test and add every day. Don't let FC dip below 5ppm per the cya/chlorine chart. So if you're losing 4ppm per day, take FC up to 9 and you should end the day at 5 then you add 4ppm again.

Reactions: Rich807

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do I know how much to add each day?
When you test your FC results probably show about 6 ppm prior to dosing? Pool Math will provide you with the amount of chlorine to add to get to 9 ppm.

Use the Pool Math App or PoolMath (web version). I'm usually on PC so I like the web page.

In your 35K gallon pool, it takes 45 oz. of 10% chlorine to increase FC by 1.0 ppm. If your using a gallon per day now, and your tests show similar results, you're using about 2.9 ppm daily.

Last edited:
Did you pass the OCLT?

To maintain, test and add every day. Don't let FC dip below 5ppm per the cya/chlorine chart. So if you're losing 4ppm per day, take FC up to 9 and you should end the day at 5 then you add 4ppm again.

Yes. I passed the OCLT. So basically this means I'm losing about 4ppm per day. So this is normal?

When you test your FC results probably show about 6 ppm prior to dosing? Pool Math will provide you with the amount of chlorine to add to get to 9 ppm.

Use the Pool Math App or PoolMath (web version). I'm usually on PC so I like the web page.

In your 35K gallon pool, it takes 45 oz. of 10% chlorine to increase FC by 1.0 ppm. If your using a gallon per day now, and your tests show similar results, your using about 2.9 ppm daily.
I have figured I'm losing about 4ppm per day. I've been having to add between a gallon and a gallon and a half per day. This seems like ALOT

Yep, do an OCLT. See if you’re losing overnight. If you’re battling a starting algae bloom that would explain the loss.
I passed OCLT. I have figured I am losing about 4ppm per day. That seems like a lot to me. I have been adding around 1 - 1.5 gallons per day! Is there a way to keep it from. Burning off so quick?

I passed OCLT. I have figured I am losing about 4ppm per day. That seems like a lot to me. I have been adding around 1 - 1.5 gallons per day! Is there a way to keep it from. Burning off so quick?
You have a large pool yes? It will take more chlorine to keep it stable. 2-4ppm burnoff to the sun per day is not unusual in hot climes in summer months.

You can raise your CYA and maintain your FC a little higher per the FC/CYA Levels. You can also shade the water somehow, like with a solar cover. That’s about it.

Is this normal to be adding so much (and loosing so much)? do I need to add some stabilizer?
My CYA is at 60 right now.
Your stablizer level is good for a pool in your climes. I think you are seeing the effect of having a BIG pool in a Hot climate at a low latitude. That's the fact of life! You could try and add a cover or a sun shade to try and minimize the sun effects. Or add an SWG so it puts the chlorine for you. Either way that kind of FC demand sounds about right.

Reactions: timmco and Cwiggs
Timmco….I’m in NE Texas. With the hot weather we’ve had for the last week, I’ve been using on average 3.5 to 4ppm a day in my 16600 gallon pool. My pool is in full sun most of the day. I would say your usage is pretty normal.

Just chiming in to say your FC loss sounds normal. My pool is smaller and before a SWCG I added about a gallon of 10% every night in the summer, sometimes more.

I started getting the refillable 12.5% gallons from the pool store. I still went through more than 4 gallons a week. Lugging 8 gallons a week home was a big reason I got the SWCG.

What are your full test results? Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test lately?
So I just realized it's been a month since I tested the CYA. I tested it today and it has to be less than 30. (I could still see the dot when the tube was filled). This could definitely be contributing, right?
What stabilizer do you recommend?

Your stablizer level is good for a pool in your climes. I think you are seeing the effect of having a BIG pool in a Hot climate at a low latitude. That's the fact of life! You could try and add a cover or a sun shade to try and minimize the sun effects. Or add an SWG so it puts the chlorine for you. Either way that kind of FC demand sounds about right.
I just realized it's been a month since I tested the CYA. I tested it today and it has to be less than 30. (I could still see the dot when the tube was filled). This could definitely be contributing, right?
If so, what stabilizer do you recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.