I have to bleed my filter everyday - where is air getting in?

heckofagator

Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We just had all of the equipment replaced and most of the visible plumbing re-done.

The system seems to run fairly air free, there's just a few bubbles in the pump basket but nothing major. And really no air spurting out of the return jets per se.

However, I've found that there does seem to be some air in the filter. I can bleed off the air a couple times a day. This doesn't seem to affect the pressure reading on the gauge at the filter. But I'm curious where this could be coming from. I think if we had air on the suction side, we'd see lots of bubbles in the pump basket?

And since the filter is the next stop after the pump, does that mean air is getting in at the filter somehow? And for reference, the pump is running around 1700rpm and it took 14-15 sec to bleed it. So it seems to be there's a good amount of air in there.

Last edited:
Heck,

The last time I used the air relief on my filter was 2 or 3 weeks ago. So for grins, I went out and opened it. Took about 2 seconds for water to come out.

What kind and size filter do you have? Is there really a problem? What happens if you don't bleed the air?

Does your pump run 24/7 or does it start and stop each day? When stopped, does the water stay in the pump basket, or does it drain back into the pool over night?

Do you run at 1700 RPM all the time, or does the pump ramp up once, or twice, a day to some higher speed?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: heckofagator
We had air in the lines before, it was coming out of the return jets. I was looking around before for the cause and just noticed the filter had some air and now I guess I just do it a couple times a day.

I don't think its causing any problems that I can see, other than probably only half of the filter is having water running thru it? maybe I'll just need to clean a little more often since its less sq feet of filter media.

Filter is a Pentair CC320 Plus. Yes, 1700 rpm from 8am - 8pm. I'll check the pump basket tonight when it shuts off.

I just wanted to ask as we are probably getting ready to clear up with the pool company so I just wanted to check on this and see if it was an issue before making final payment.

Heck,

In theory, there is an air bleed tube in your filter that is supposed to let air in the filter come out in the return line flow. It should not continue to build up under the filter lid. The filter should stay full of water. When you shut the pump off, no water should drain back into your pool from the filter. When it does, you can normally hear it.

See this link.. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e2fd...lMjBwdW1wJTIwbGlkJTIwb3IlMjBza2ltbWVyLg&ntb=1

Let's see if Mark has any input to your problem. Calling @mas985

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just confirming what Jim said. Air can leak in after the pump is shut off into either the pump or filter. Just listen to filter. Initially, you will hear some air as it settles out but if you hear a glug every few minutes, the filter may be leaking air in. But check the pump basket too. If that bubbles grows with the pump off, then you likely have a pump lid or drain plug gasket leak.

Just confirming what Jim said. Air can leak in after the pump is shut off into either the pump or filter. Just listen to filter.

also just to make sure we're on the same page, I can bleed the filter in the am and then again a few hours later, all while the pump has been continuously running. So I think whatever is happening also happens with the pump running.

I did test the backflow with the pump off, I put it into service mode for about a minute and didn't hear any draining by the pump back to the pool and the water in the pump basket stayed very high.

thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Last edited:
also just to make sure we're on the same page, I can bleed the filter in the am and then again a few hours later, all while the pump has been continuously running. So I think whatever is happening also happens with the pump running.

I did test the backflow with the pump off, I put it into service mode for about a minute and didn't hear any draining by the pump back to the pool and the water in the pump basket stayed very high.

thanks for the thoughts everyone.
This says to me it almost certainly has to be a suction side leak then. Far and away the most common point is the o-ring around the pre-filter basket lid. Have you checked it thoroughly for nicks and pool lubed it?

This says to me it almost certainly has to be a suction side leak then. Far and away the most common point is the o-ring around the pre-filter basket lid. Have you checked it thoroughly for nicks and pool lubed it?

I'll check. I know the installer said he lubed it up and I went back and re-lubed just to make sure (when we definitely had a lot of air coming from the pool/spa returns). Will also make sure its in good condition.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.