I have no idea what I’m doing.

lwomack24

Apr 24, 2020
Arkansas
Hey everyone! I’m new to TFP and have been reading and reading here over the last 48 hours. I’m a mom to 3 and a new pool owner and I’m lost. I set the pool up last year and it went fine. At the end of the season after the water turned yuck, I tried to drain the pool and apparently there’s a plug on the inside as well as the outside, so it wouldn’t drain (insert eye roll). I got busy and didn’t cover it (insert another eye roll), and now I have full green pool. My kids are dying to get in and I’m getting no where here.
It’s green and gross (obviously algae) and there are some pine needles on bottom I’ve been scooping out. I dumped a whole bottle of liquid chlorine in and have been running the pump. But I’m lost. I can keep a critical patient alive on tons of machines (nurse life) but the thought of fixing this pool is terrifying. Please help. Lol.

Your little pump/filter combo will not be up for this task. You may be better off getting a sump pump n draining it, cleaning it up and refilling. I'd really consider looking at the above ground pool section and upgrading the pump n filter. Also look into a reliable test kit at tftestkits.net. The TF100 is worth every penny.

Welcome to TFP.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well Ms. Nurse, you got yourself in a regular pool ICU pickle. :poke: Ha. Generally, to remove algae we recommend the SLAM Process. In your case, there are a couple things to consider: though
- To do a SLAM Process, you need to have a TF-100 or Taylor K_2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared
- With one of those kits, you have to be available 2-3 times a day to test the water and perform the pool maintenance required.

If your schedule does not permit that, don't have the time, and/or you don't have the proper test kit, then a good healthy drain may be in order to help expedite the clearing of the swamp. But the next dileman .... how to get to that drain plug? Who is going to draw the short straw to remove it? Everyone have their shots? ? I see Casey just posted. I like her idea about a sump pump. :goodjob: That should get the water down to give you access to the drain plug.

The SLAM Process works, but it take some dedication and consistency .... along with the test kit. So I think Casey has the right idea. Take a moment to read those links and the ones below in my signature. Either way, at some point you will want one of those test kit. . We'll be happy to help you.

Ok, so I can only devote time to slamming for about 3 straight days. So I don’t think I’d be able to pull this off because I’d probably get it half way close then have to go to work and be in trouble. Plus what Casey said about the pump not being big enough. I really don’t want to pump it all out, but at the same time it seems like that’s my only option :( I do live in Arkansas tho, maybe I can find someone crazy enough to go down and pool the plug!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.