I have a chlorine pool and realize made a big mistake by using a product called no more problems which is sodium bromide.

Julie P.

Jun 8, 2020
Maryland
How do I rid the pool of the bromide and get back to chlorine only? Have a made a huge mistake? My ph is 7.4. My alkalinity is 130. Cya is 65. I keep having a low chlorine of 0.5. Hardness is 300. Plaster pool 16000 gallons. Crystal clear water. I use tri chlor pucks and usually calcium hypo shock. Help!!

Julie, from my reading of the threads below you should raise the pool to SLAM FC level using liquid chlorine until you are no longer losing FC.

@JoyfulNoise said - Adding sodium bromide to a chlorine pool is a recipe for disaster as the bromide uses up chlorine to form bromine but the bromine can not be stabilized against UV loss. So the bromide will act as an additional source of rapid chlorine loss. Once in the water, bromide does not go away - you have to drain and refill to get rid of it.

Jock Hamilton, president of United Chemical sells a line of pool specialty chemicals that are based on sodium bromide. He claims that bromide in pool water breaks down rapidly, rather than slowly. Apparently, he's right . . . at least for outdoor pools exposed to sunlight.

Let me state it this way: in pools exposed to sunlight, bromine persistence is usually a long-term problem ONLY if the pool is brominated with any form of bromine tabs!

If bromine has NEVER been added to an outdoor pools in the form of tabs, shocking the pool (5+ppm of chlorine in a single dose), added on sunny days, will tend to remove the bromine/bromide. However, repeated doses may be needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
If my calculations are right, you added about 5.3 ppm sodium bromide. That is a significant amount. I suspect you would be best to drain and refill the bulk of your pool water.

Does not matter. Only way the bromide leaves the pool is by draining the water with the bromide in it.

If my calculations are right, you added about 5.3 ppm sodium bromide. That is a significant amount. I suspect you would be best to drain and refill the bulk of your pool water.
I added the liquid no more pools product in 9 ounces each stretched out over a 4 week period. Could it possibly burn off if I take my chlorine tabs out of my skimmers in this ungodly hot sunny weather?

I added the liquid no more pools product in 9 ounces each stretched out over a 4 week period. Could it possibly burn off if I take my chlorine tabs out of my skimmers in this ungodly hot sunny weather?
No. Chlorine activates the bromide into bromine. To remove the bromide, you must drain the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.