I hate you CYA!

With my cya at 100, of course I am running a higher FC for now until I can get it on down via backwashing , splash outs , rain, etc. My question is how can I keep a check on my pH during all of this? My FC is 10.5 today. My pH was registering about 7.6. With my FC at 10.5 can my pH be terribly lower than what it is showing? Or do I need to let me FC drop down to below 10 in the next couple of days and see what it truly is? It says don't let my FC go lower than 7 but the target is 12. So, I don't want to risk algae. What say you?

I think I finally figured out that I do actually only have about 20k gallons. My FC was 9.5 and I put 11 in as my goal. (Based on 20k gallons)I added 43ozs of bleach and my result was 12 so I guess I am pretty darn close to 20k.

I have this hour glass looking "reflection" in my CYA tubing. I can't hardly even see my dang dot in the bottom because of it! No matter how I look through it or position the tube, it is there!!! Anyone else familiar with this? Very annoying... Also, how important is it for your powder to be accurate when doing your FC test? No matter how hard I've tried, my dippers keep getting this dark colored residue on them. And on the CC test, sometimes the sample will turn just a slight tinge of pink, not a dark pink at all. Is this still considered CC? If so, my CC is .5. Do I need to slam?

No idea what your CYA problem is.
You can not use too much powder, but too little can give testing inaccuracies. The dark residue is "normal".
If you have to add a drop to clear the CC test, then it is considered 0.5ppm. That is fine, but any more could be a problem.

Reason I asked about the powder was because the past couple of days my FC has dropped 2-3 daily. However, there was TONS of grass blown into the pool on Saturday due to mowing and then we have had nothing but rain and storms during this period as well. The lowest my FC has gotten was 8 today. I have been trying to maintain it around 12. It has only been dropping .5 daily until Sunday and today's testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reason I asked about the powder was because the past couple of days my FC has dropped 2-3 daily. However, there was TONS of grass blown into the pool on Saturday due to mowing and then we have had nothing but rain and storms during this period as well. The lowest my FC has gotten was 8 today. I have been trying to maintain it around 12. It has only been dropping .5 daily until Sunday and today's testing.

Rain doesn't impact your FC...but grass clippings will.

I know what you're talking about with the cya test. I feel like half the time I can't tell if I'm looking at the reflection of my head in the tube or the dot. It's when it starts to get to the end when I can't see the dot as well and I start questioning if it's still the dot or now it's my stupid reflection. Cya test is a pain. :-/

I know what you're talking about with the cya test. I feel like half the time I can't tell if I'm looking at the reflection of my head in the tube or the dot. It's when it starts to get to the end when I can't see the dot as well and I start questioning if it's still the dot or now it's my stupid reflection. Cya test is a pain. :-/

That is exactly the way it is with me! Fine at first but as it gets towards the end who knows!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.