I got the Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner

Just want to say thanks for all the info on this cleaner. Based on the info I read here I ordered one and it is awesome! This site in general makes owning a pool so much easier. I 'opened' mine last week. Due to my dogs ripping my leaf net to shreds I had nothing covering the pool all winter. I had to vacuum to waste a lot of gunk from the bottom, but the water itself was still crystal clear since I kept the levels right until winter! Now all my chems are right where they're supposed to be and I have this guy roving the bottom until it is warm enough to swim! So much easier than some prior years.

I loved mine. Prior to getting it I would spend 15 to 20 minutes a day vacuuming the pool by hand before I got in. After, I only did it manually about once per year.

I just got one also and hope it works out as well as others have said. How is it around the steps? Does it get stuck around the steps easily?
I don't know about steps, but if there is a ladder in the pool, it will find a way to get hung up on it. You may need to shorten the hose to keep it away from it.

I don't have steps either. The only issue I've had so far is that the hoses have tangled themselves up once preventing the cleaner from reaching the furthest third of my pool. I'll monitor to see if that becomes a recurring concern. I love it so far.

Mine does get stuck on my steps every now and then, but I just give it a nudge and off it goes. Still way easier than vacuuming!

I need some help guys! I have the intex auto cleaner, I upgraded my sand filter to the 16” 3000gph intex one, the problem is the cleaner gets stuck every 5 to 10 mins, it drives it self half way up the wall and gets wedged between the bottom and the wall, with the old pump it never did that! It’s seems like it has to much power, it does wheelies sometimes and smashing into my ladder and walls. Does anyone else have this problem or the same pump as I do? I’m guessing the only thing to do is hard plumb to install a ball valve to reduce flow?

Yes, it sounds like pump is too much for it. You did make sure any air is out, right? That can also cause wheelies.

if you are thinking about hard plumbing, maybe add a return?

That’s what I figured, guess bigger isn’t always better in this case! Yes I made sure all the air is out of the vacuum. I’ve been thinking about hard plumbing the pool just to have better control of everything and also a better skimmer. Yes I would add 2 returns and 2 intakes 1 being the skimmer so I can control them!

This is my second year using this robot. Last summer it ran 24-7 this summer is about 8 hours a day, I'm guessing it has 2000-3000 hours on it. It has always worked perfectly until just recently. I noticed that the 2 swivel wheels don't always go strait, they sometimes get stuck sideways and drag across the pool bottom making the cleaner go in circles or stop completely. Took a look at them and they have a lot of wobble. I was wondering if anyone with a fairly new vac could take a look at their wheels and see it they wobble too or are fairly solid and just spin in circles nicely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is my second year using this robot. Last summer it ran 24-7 this summer is about 8 hours a day, I'm guessing it has 2000-3000 hours on it. It has always worked perfectly until just recently. I noticed that the 2 swivel wheels don't always go strait, they sometimes get stuck sideways and drag across the pool bottom making the cleaner go in circles or stop completely. Took a look at them and they have a lot of wobble. I was wondering if anyone with a fairly new vac could take a look at their wheels and see it they wobble too or are fairly solid and just spin in circles nicely.

I went though this last year, the treads were worn off the spinny wheels (possibly from it pushing itself around with one or the other stuck sideways?) I switched the treads around (NOT as easy as it should be) but it didn't help much in terms of how it traveled, though the pool still seemed pretty clean. Got a new one this year and sometimes it does fine other times the wheels lock up. I THINK it has to do with lower pressure from the pump (dirty filter) and/or when the cleaner itself is loaded up with dirt and leaves.

I definitely agree with the robot being full of debris it has collected or a dirty filter with low pressure it doesn't move well.
With mine, robot clean and the 1hp pump putting out a LOT of water those wheels just don't want to swivel like they used to. With thousands of hours on it I think they might be just getting wore out. I'll tinker with them and post any results I find, otherwise for the price and how well it has worked I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

OMG!! i want one sooooo bad!! only thing i'm worried about is if it will work with my sandfilter pump. Everyone speaks about 2500 pump etc. I'm not sure which one i have....i think mine is is 2800Gph and the outlet is the one with the eyeball....will there be enough suction for this thing to move?

OMG!! i want one sooooo bad!! only thing i'm worried about is if it will work with my sandfilter pump. Everyone speaks about 2500 pump etc. I'm not sure which one i have....i think mine is is 2800Gph and the outlet is the one with the eyeball....will there be enough suction for this thing to move?

Should be more than enough. The manual states that the flow rate should be between 1600 and 3500 gph.

I was able to fix the problem of the swivel wheels not turning. I switched the swivel wheels with the stationary wheels, more importantly, I switched the gray plastic piece that holds the wheels. That plastic was definitely getting wore out. It works perfect now.

I got this cleaner a few days ago. It’s working pretty good. It does stir up a good bit of the trash on the bottom. Wishing I had a skimmer now. Guess that’s next.

Question... How do you remove it from the pool without dumping half of it back into the water? I have to keep my net handy to grab what I can everytime I remove it. There has to be a better way. ?

I've never noticed anything dumping back into the pool. The debris is caught in the space between the screen and the flipper door. I suppose if its lifted straight up and out some stuff might get past the flipper door on the bottom? I always pull it out of the water with one jet opening strait up and one strait down, that way all the water inside will be forced to drain through the screen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.