I drifted from TFP protocols

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
Needed to raise my CYA so instead of buying it, I used the Bioguard shock I had.
Dichlor and of course copper.
Anyway my TA has always been 120-140 and pH stable.

Today im at
TA 70
pH 7.0 it was 7.4 a few days ago.
CYA 30 (9( course the CYA showed up yesterday and I'm not adding any)

I have soda ash ( purchased on eBay, recommended by a member here. Sitting in storage, never used. )

thoughts?
this pool was so stable it was boring last year.

Why the soda ash? Your pH will rise some naturally (unless you have really low TA fill water) with aeration.

Your CYA is 30 after add? That is OK>

Hopefully not enough copper to stain anything.

Take care.

Because my TA and ph are both lower than they have ever been.

Figured i I needed to take action.
Sounds like I should just use it and enjoy it.

and we survived the opening year with full bioguard system.
Never had an issue with staining.
In a vinyl ABGP what will copper stain?
other than my wife's hair :)

Doc:

Please stop using any shock that has or contains metals. The soda ash will increase your PH and TA slightly. No need to purchase any soda ash on ebay. Borax is best used to raise PH unless you have a natural aeration device. You can manage the pool with a TA of 70 and PH of 7.2, but trichlor will continue to lower your levels. You should not go lower and keep an eye on both PH and TA. Your CYA at 30 is fine.

If you have not had any stains on your liner so far, you are lucky or have not used enough of the product. Some shock is just stabilized, while others have metals. The metal products usually state 5 in 1 or 8 in 1, something to that effect.

Question: Have you veered from using liquid chlorine on a daily basis? Thanks!

Doc:

Please stop using any shock that has or contains metals. The soda ash will increase your PH and TA slightly. No need to purchase any soda ash on ebay. Borax is best used to raise PH unless you have a natural aeration device. You can manage the pool with a TA of 70 and PH of 7.2, but trichlor will continue to lower your levels. You should not go lower and keep an eye on both PH and TA. Your CYA at 30 is fine.

If you have not had any stains on your liner so far, you are lucky or have not used enough of the product. Some shock is just stabilized, while others have metals. The metal products usually state 5 in 1 or 8 in 1, something to that effect.

Question: Have you veered from using liquid chlorine on a daily basis? Thanks!

i already have the soda ash.
Just not used to seeing my ph this low!

Need help. I hate math. I used the calculator and guess I should've weighed it instead of using the scoop.
It came with a 60cc scoop.
But how do you convert that so it works with the calculator?v

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doc:

A lot of times when people ask me about oz. and chemicals, I recommend a SOLO cup. Everyone understands what a full cup is, etc. One full Heineken fills a solo cup, so about 18 oz. You do not have to be perfect., just test your water. Stick with the liquid chlorine as it is very predictable. Thanks!

Just chiming in to agree with Catanzaro. I too use a SOLO cup for my measuring (rinsing immediately after each use). The ridges are a couple of useful measurements (12oz, 5oz, & 1oz) besides the full 18oz. The examples can be seen here SOLO CUP. I use it for pretty much everything other than weight measurements and have had no problems. (not lab quality results, but perfect for what we need). The awesome part of using a SOLO cup is if it gets ruined, toss it and grab another out of the sleeve LOL. Hope this is a help maybe a little bit!

Thanks all. Back to my beloved 10% and nothing more.
I "knew" my pool very well and never needed anything until I added that garbage!
and now I have ten pounds of CYA for a few years as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.