I Don't Want to Ruin a New Liner

May 28, 2007
Hermitage, TN
I have had this pool for 26 years and I am replacing a 10 year old liner and was wondering about whether I keep using a SWG or go back to chlorine tablets. I had stains in my deep end and the only thing that ever sat on the bottom of the deep end by the main drains was pool salt. Any other chemicals were always added like the instructions on the label of the product said. Any Suggestions?
I have a brand new for Zodiac Nature2 Pro G-25 and thought about installing it but have heard a lot of negative things about the use of Copper. as a sanitizer,

Last edited:
BS,

When you add salt, you are not supposed to just let it sit there, you use a pool broom and sweep it around until it dissolves.

Did you by chance use Clorox Salt? If so, it is known to leave stains.

I'd just as soon fill my pools in with dirt rather than not have them be saltwater pools. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TimothyThompson
+1
Don't let anything else sit either. Give any granuals a few minutes and then brush them. Liquid or powders can be brushed immediately.

I agree with Jim on filling in the pool with dirt if I couldn't use my SWG. I would think one concern with using chlorine tablets is the buildup of CYA over time. At some point, the levels would be to the point where you would need to drain the water to reduce the levels. Vinyl lined pools should not be drained like that.

BS,

When you add salt, you are not supposed to just let it sit there, you use a pool broom and sweep it around until it dissolves.

Did you by chance use Clorox Salt? If so, it is known to leave stains.

I'd just as soon fill my pools in with dirt rather than not have them be saltwater pools. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I actually did use Clorox salt at times. Most of the time the salt would dissolve within an hour and just did not think it would possibly stain the liner.
I do love my SWG and have had it for 15 years with no complaints other than when the Turbo Cell starts to fail.
I guess I will just stay with the SWG and just be very careful with adding salt.

just did not think it would possibly stain the liner
The salt typically left iron stains that are pretty easy to remove.

Take a thin sock with a handful of Vitamin C tablets in it. Crush them up a bit. Set it on the stain. See if the stain lifts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.