Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just got the K-1766. I did the test and it came to 4800 but I don't know what that means. The chart on the enclosed paper is not very helpful.

I just got the K-1766. I did the test and it came to 4800 but I don't know what that means. The chart on the enclosed paper is not very helpful.
If you multiplied your number of drops x 200 and got 4800 (24 drops) then you have 4800ppm of salt in the pool. Your SWG requires somewhere between 3000 and 4000 (read the manual to be sure).
Just want to also verify that you did the test correctly. When it turns salmon color then the test is over.

Your SWG manual will tell you recommended salt level. In your case it’s 3600ppm. 2600 is the low limit and 4500 is the high limit. Is the high salt indicator showing on your SWG?

4,800 is high but not ridiculously so. If your SWG is working you should be okay - although you can drain/refill a bit of water to knock it down if you’d like.

My system shows 3600. When we added salt, I used less than it told me to. When I first ordered my kit I got the strips. Those were useless. Be just gone by what the system says but I’ve been having a hard time getting my chloride levels up so I ordered this test. I’ll test it again though.

If you multiplied your number of drops x 200 and got 4800 (24 drops) then you have 4800ppm of salt in the pool. Your SWG requires somewhere between 3000 and 4000 (read the manual to be sure).
Just want to also verify that you did the test correctly. When it turns salmon color then the test is over.
Yes, I stopped adding drops as soon as it changed from yellow.

Nikilyn,

Either you are not using the K-1766 correctly or your cell is reporting the wrong salt level..

If your actual salt level is 4800 and your cell is only reporting 3600, that is a difference of 1200 ppm.. That is way out of tolerance. The IC40 should report a salt level that is +/- 500 ppm.

I assume this is a new build with a new cell.. If so, I suggest that you call your pool builder, or Pentair, and have them come out and fix or replace the cell..

Personally, I run my actual salt level at right around 3200 ppm.. Over that level, I can start tasting it.

A difference between what your cell reports and the actual salt level is quite normal for an IC40.. but being 1200 ppm off is not close enough, and needs to be fixed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nikilyn,

Either you are not using the K-1766 correctly or your cell is reporting the wrong salt level..

If your actual salt level is 4800 and your cell is only reporting 3600, that is a difference of 1200 ppm.. That is way out of tolerance. The IC40 should report a salt level that is +/- 500 ppm.

I assume this is a new build with a new cell.. If so, I suggest that you call your pool builder, or Pentair, and have them come out and fix or replace the cell..

Personally, I run my actual salt level at right around 3200 ppm.. Over that level, I can start tasting it.

A difference between what your cell reports and the actual salt level is quite normal for an IC40.. but being 1200 ppm off is not close enough, and needs to be fixed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
It's a new build and we did o/b. I think I'm doing it right but I'll post pics tomorrow of the test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They HAVE to change those instructions. Each and every one of us, our brain shuts off at ‘fill 25 ml vial’ and we don’t even see the ‘to 10ml part’.

Every
Last
Time

:ROFLMAO:
You can use a 25 ml sample if you want but it will take more drops, probably close to the 50 drop threshold that makes the drop test results unreliable... AND the multiplier changes from 1 drop = 200ppm for a 10 ml sample to 1 drop = 80 ppm for a 25 ml sample. Anyway.. I agree with Jim.. I would redo the test and make sure. If you are really that far off from what the cell reports then something is awry.

Reactions: Nikilyn
I detested today and got much better results. It was 4000. Still high, but if the range could be 500 then that seems acceptable. I don't like the range though between what the test and my IC40 says. I really wish they matched. But should we still drain some water off and replace to get the salt level down?
Here's what it looked like. This was the color it changed to from yellow. Hopefully it's correct. The directions say "creamy salmon" and "brick red". Those 2 colors are completely different to me so I'm going with this one.
9888CDB9-10A1-4691-84A2-7E34BFC3E96C.jpeg

N,

As you get close to the right number of drops, you will see a "flash" of salmon and then it will instantly change back to yellow.. Keep slowly adding drops until it changes to salmon and does not change back.. It is a very definite change. Do not go past this definite change point.

Thanks,

Jim R.

N,

As you get close to the right number of drops, you will see a "flash" of salmon and then it will instantly change back to yellow.. Keep slowly adding drops until it changes to salmon and does not change back.. It is a very definite change. Do not go past this definite change point.

Thanks,

Jim R.
That's exactly what I did.

The directions say "creamy salmon" and "brick red". Those 2 colors are completely different to me so I'm going with this one.
The name of the color is irrelevant.. everyone will have a different perception of the color. Heck I can't tell the difference between Tangy Yellow and Daffodil Taxi. Its the color change that matters with this one. And this test has about the most definitive test off all of them.
I detested today
I destest things today as well, when I channel my inner curmudgeon.. :rant:

• Haha
Reactions: newdude and Nikilyn
So my salt level is back up to 4800. Should we drain off some water to get it down? If so, how do we know how much to drain off?

If so, how do we know how much to drain off?
It’s a simple percentage . 25% will reduce you by 1/4 to 3600. Or we can do not so simple %s. 1/3 or 33% will bring you down to 3216. So probably somewhere in between those 2.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.