I can get a $500 rebate for buying a new pool pump. Wireless control? Choosing a pump?

Jun 5, 2017
Manchester NH
I saw this rebate opportunity and I figured I'd look into pool pumps but I am struggling a bit.

I have an existing 1HP Hayward Super Pump and it has 1.5" ports on it.

My hopes:
1. Cut my energy bill by as much as possible.
2. Somehow wirelessly control it. So if I'm not home I can turn it on/off etc.

My questions:
1. I am reading that many people like the Pentair Intelliflo but I see that it has 2" ports. If I get this pump and immediately transition from 2" down to 1.5" is that an issue?
2. I considered getting a wifi box to control the pump WiOn 50054 Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Box, Wireless Time Switch; Control Electrical Devices From Anywhere Using Your Smartphone, 12 Automated settings, Works with Existing Wi-Fi Router and Free WiOn App, 277 Volts - - Amazon.com ...will this work on a variable pump? I'm seeing all sorts of fancy displays and I don't know if I just flip the switch whether I'll need to manually touch some buttons to make it turn on)
3. Is buying a wifi enabled pump vs wifi switch a better option?

Pool details:
12k octagonal in-ground pool
2 returns (Single run for a total of about 40-45 feet)
Other than the skimmer I will run a vacuum.
No other needs for the pump (no jacuzzi etc)
Hayward 220ST filter (1.5" connections) with 250 pounds of Zeosand in it.

1. Not an issue to use reducers, may want to program for a lower maximum speed. Although that pump is overkill for your pool.
2. No Idea, but I doubt it will without effort. It is not as simple as just switching power on and off, there are communication lines to the pump.
3. I am not even sure what a wifi enabled pump is :D

The best solution would be a full automation system that communicates to the pump and then can connect to your network, but that is not cheap.

1. Not an issue to use reducers, may want to program for a lower maximum speed. Although that pump is overkill for your pool.
2. No Idea, but I doubt it will without effort. It is not as simple as just switching power on and off, there are communication lines to the pump.
3. I am not even sure what a wifi enabled pump is :D

The best solution would be a full automation system that communicates to the pump and then can connect to your network, but that is not cheap.

Ok thanks for the input. I thought a 3HP pump would be overkill as well. However I read somewhere on here that someone used an oversized pump and just ran it at very low rpm 24 hours a day at a scant $20 per month cost.

The switching power on/off may be just much simpler with a non-variable pump. That's how mine works now. No controls. Turn the switch and it's on. Looks like I may need to find some other way.

As far as the wifi enabled pump. Maybe that was a poor description. Hayward offers a "smart control" pump. The VS Omni

Last edited:
Honestly, I am not sure if VS pumps like to have the power to them turned on and off. I do not know what that may do the programming, etc.

Ah, right, I do recall the VS Omni ... it is a psuedo-automation system that only allows control of the pump. I suppose if you do not need to control any valves, or heaters, or SWG, then there is really no need for a full automation system.

However I read somewhere on here that someone used an oversized pump and just ran it at very low rpm 24 hours a day at a scant $20 per month cost.

Under,

That was most likely me... Overkill is a pretty subjective thing... You cannot go too big with a VS pump.. The bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move the same amount of water. I have two rent house pools that have 1.5" plumbing and they both run just fine using the IntelliFlo.. But... the main reason that they have the IntelliFlo pumps is because both pools have Pentair automation systems and SWCGs... It is really the only option..

If you want to save money and control your pump with a smart switch set up, then I recommend a 2-speed pump... The 2-speed pump will save you 75% on your electric bill and you can make yourself a Wi-Fi 2-speed controller.. You just need a smart device with a Single Pole Double Throw relay inside... When the relay is off the normally closed contacts power the low speed connection and when the relay is energized the normally open contacts power the high speed connection.. It is very important that the low speed and high speed connections NEVER get power at the same time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Under,

That was most likely me... Overkill is a pretty subjective thing... You cannot go too big with a VS pump.. The bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move the same amount of water. I have two rent house pools that have 1.5" plumbing and they both run just fine using the IntelliFlo.. But... the main reason that they have the IntelliFlo pumps is because both pools have Pentair automation systems and SWCGs... It is really the only option..

If you want to save money and control your pump with a smart switch set up, then I recommend a 2-speed pump... The 2-speed pump will save you 75% on your electric bill and you can make yourself a Wi-Fi 2-speed controller.. You just need a smart device with a Single Pole Double Throw relay inside... When the relay is off the normally closed contacts power the low speed connection and when the relay is energized the normally open contacts power the high speed connection.. It is very important that the low speed and high speed connections NEVER get power at the same time..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for that info.

I think I understand the logic.
The variable speed can't simply be shut off and turned on to function. They need power all the time to set the speeds etc. If that's the case can most of them be programmed to a schedule so I can set it and forget it?

For the 2 speed - i'll need to size this one properly right. No adjustment on speed?

The SPDT switch. I think I understand that in one position it'd be low, in the other it would be high. In a SPDT switch there is no "off" position right?
Do you know of any smart devices that are SPDT that are capable of handling the current? I'm not easily finding anything but maybe my search string is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have to buy from one of the listed retailers?
Does it have to be installed by a participating pool contractor?
Often both of those are true, and it would cost you more to get the rebate (due to pump mark-up and install costs), than buying one online and installing yourself.
Although also keep in mind warranty impacts of a self-purchase & self-install.

Do you have to buy from one of the listed retailers?
Does it have to be installed by a participating pool contractor?
Often both of those are true, and it would cost you more to get the rebate (due to pump mark-up and install costs), than buying one online and installing yourself.
Although also keep in mind warranty impacts of a self-purchase & self-install.

I just got off the phone with them.
1. It does not need to be purchased from one of their listed retailers
2. It does not need to be installed by a contractor
3. The funds are almost out and I should act quickly should I want this rebate :)

The gold standard is Pentair 011018. You will get a 60 day warranty with DIY install. You can buy them via Amazon for about $900.. With a $500 rebate, that is what I would buy.

You can program up to 8 speeds / schedules.

I just got off the phone with them.
1. It does not need to be purchased from one of their listed retailers
2. It does not need to be installed by a contractor
3. The funds are almost out and I should act quickly should I want this rebate :)

I was researching the Pentair 011018 and getting a rebate from my electric company. While searching I found out that installing this pump yourself voids the warranty, so beware.

I don't see it on the list, but I got a rebate from my power company for a Jandy VS FloPro 1 HP Pump, and you can buy an optional wifi controller for it (iQPump01) four ~$100.

Although, it looks like the wifi thing has been discontinued so perhaps it didn't work or sell very well. I don't have one. I figured I'd add it later if I felt I needed to. I never felt I needed to. Once you get your pump programmed, I haven't found too many times where I needed to adjust something when I wasn't already in the pool area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.