Cmak

Jul 19, 2020
Southern California
Hi there ,
We have a 16x8x42 intex prism rectangle pool.

I need some advice and tips . We have spent the better part of 2 months or so leveling our ground ... sand ... dug in pavers etc. we built the frame and measureD out the 1 foot all around for the u support so we could then place are pavers. We finally built our pool just shy 1 day of our kids birthday and when started to fill the pool a few inches or so I went in to straighten the liner, that’s when I felt about 1 inch of the pavers that are dug in for the U supports. I only Felt them along the longest sides of our pool But with that we stopped covered our pool and went inside knowing that we would Have to undo something . We need help to figure out what we could or should do to fix the problem . Should we add more sand ? Should we drain the pool undo the frame take the tarp off and move our mason sand and re dig the pavers ? I hope there is a way to fix without undoing all the work we have already done .
yours,
Defeated😢😱

Pictures are the only way we can help
I wasn’t really able to get pics of what was happening but I drained pool enough to where I could repositions pavers and refilled pool while keeping an eye on pavers . The pool looks great now except that 2 pavers have cracked A bit . Can I keep pool This way for at least another month or so? We plan to take down in October when weather cools down . I’ll need to figure out why the pavers cracked for next year though .

I wasn’t really able to get pics of what was happening but I drained pool enough to where I could repositions pavers and refilled pool while keeping an eye on pavers . The pool looks great now except that 2 pavers have cracked A bit . Can I keep pool This way for at least another month or so? We plan to take down in October when weather cools down . I’ll need to figure out why the pavers cracked for next year though .
8808DCDD-A7C4-410C-A485-4FFDCFF428DD.jpeg

Also about the pavers I could feel under the pool after I repositioned the pavers a bit my husband went in to the pool This time around to flatten the wrinkles, and he mentioned he could feel the black tubes that connect the liner to the supports . That was probably what I was feeling before and not actually the pavers ... either way the pavers did need some adjustment In the end so we tweaked the pavers and filled the pool and now it’s looking pretty dang level ... now IT’s just the Two cracked Pavers . 🤔

Well boy I’m glad to hear that , as I’m sure anyone who had needed to prep the ground for a pool knows Blood sweat and tears go into this job . Me and husband went into this not ever trying a project of this magnitude and I’m so glad the end result was not as problematic as some stories I have heard . I learned a lot from this site and from some videos another member suggested from above ground pool pros . Those videos Too helped a great deal in not making some mistakes that we otherwise would have .
Q. What do y’all suggest we could put around the pavers to keep the 2 pieces from separating just for the next month until we break it down for the season ? Thanks for all the advice and positivity . This project has the magnitude to break you sometimes ... at least for us . Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you get around the paver? They make heavy-duty cable zip-ties that would do the job. You'd wrap it around the edge of the paver and use pliers to cinch the broken pieces back together. These are about 25" long, so depending on the size of your paver, you can string two or three together to get the length you need. Or not. You don't have all that much swim season left. Are the two halves moving apart?

Just FYI for next season. Concrete has incredible compression strength, but lousy tensile strength. (I think those are the correct terms.) Which is why they add rebar to slabs and decks and concrete bridges and trusses. Translation: you can apply a huge amount of weight to a paver and it won't crush, but if you put all that force onto a small area of the paver, and/or the paver is not evenly supported underneath, it'll snap like a cookie. I don't know anything about building an AG pool, but I suspect that was your problem. Which is not all that helpful because I don't know what the solution is. A thicker paver? Sand or gravel under the paver? Something on top to help distribute the weight over the entire surface of the paver? Or maybe you just had a weak paver and this is not a common problem? Or a "decorative" stone was used, not appropriate for this application, and what is needed is a stronger, true paver. Hopefully others here can advise.

Last edited:
Thanks Jimmy! I found these at HD. They don't seem to have the half'ers. Perhaps a lumber- or construction-supply type shop would have the halves?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.