I am so confused! Zero CYA and Zero Chlorine Reading

May 31, 2018
SWSuburb Chicago
Hello all. New here so please be kind and thanks in advance for any advice given.

So we took the cover off the pool - a little cloudy, not bad. PH was high so added PH decreaser and also added liquid chlorine (total of 5 gallons) and 4 lbs of stabilizer at the same time :eek: because the "pool people" said it didn't matter...... Now I have good PH, zero FC and zero CYA (based on strip tests and pool store). I am stressed that my pool is going to turn green on me before I can figure out how to fix it. Test kit is ordered and will be Monday! Should I keep adding the liquid chlorine until I get a reading?? Do I need to add more stabilizer?? Oh and my alkalinity is super high (but PH is fine?) HELP!!!:confused: AND it's super hot and humid and sunny here! :(

17,000 gal AG oval - Hayward Power-Flow Max Pump w/ Swim Pro Voyager Filter

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

Definitely keep adding FC until you get your kit. Also, fill in your signature with the details of your pool. Your are probably safe to add a gallon of chlorine a day but post your pool size so we can give you a better idea.

EDIT:

Do not add anything but chlorine until you get your test kit, especially stabilizer!

Don't add more stabilizer until you get your test kit and can find out your CYA. Too much stablizer will cause you problems and it can't be easily removed without draining some water.

Keep a level of chlorine in the pool until you get your test kit.

It would help to have details about your pool in your signature.

Do not add anymore stabilizer. Wait until your test kit arrives. Until then, just put in a gallon or 2 a day of liquid chlorine (depending on the size of your pool). Once your kit arrives, run all the tests. We'll take it from there with good advice based on numbers we trust (your kit). We have no confidence in test strips or pool store testing.

If you added chlorine and CYA, and suddenly have zero chlorine and zero CYA, that sounds like it COULD be an ammonia problem. If it is, I have some good news, some bad news, and some more bad news.

The good news? The way to get rid of ammonia is to oxidize it by adding bleach!

The bad news? Sometimes it can take a lot of bleach/chlorine.

The more bad news? If it is ammonia, when you add CYA to ammonia, the nasties in the water break the CYA down into even more ammonia.

The test kit will tell us for sure. The way you test for ammonia is to have the pump running, water circulating, etc....dose the pool with enough LC to get to 10 PPM FC, wait 10 minutes and test FC. IF FC is < 5, you're dealing with ammonia. In the meantime, feel free to add enough liquid chlorine to add 3-4 PPM/day to the pool, scoop out any debris, brush, vaccum, etc.

I got my test kit and my water results are as follows:

FC - .2
CC - .2
pH - 7.4
TA - 200
CYA - ZERO

Pool is crystal clear - just vacuumed. I have been added 2-3 gals of LC for the past few days. The last time I did it, it seemed to last for a longer period of time (probably a good 6 hours or so) but was gone by morning. Can someone advise what my next step should be?

You originally stated you added 4# of CYA. That equates to a CYA of 28 ppm in your size pool. So I would suspect the test was at least cloudy?

Add 10 ppm more CYA by the sock method.

Take your FC to 12 ppm and maintain it there. Test and dose with LC every couple hours. Keep your pump running. Check your filter for when it needs cleaning.

You state your pool is crystal clear. So tonight, do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Read the link for details.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You originally stated you added 4# of CYA. That equates to a CYA of 28 ppm in your size pool. So I would suspect the test was at least cloudy?

Add 10 ppm more CYA by the sock method.

Take your FC to 12 ppm and maintain it there. Test and dose with LC every couple hours. Keep your pump running. Check your filter for when it needs cleaning.

You state your pool is crystal clear. So tonight, do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Read the link for details.

Take care.

CYA was not cloudy at all. Thanks for your advice and I will start right away. My pump has been running 24/7 since I opened by pool. Fingers crossed!

I think I'd wait on CYA until the pool can hold some level of free chlorine. Add a gallon, get an accurate drop test reading, wait 30 minutes and test again. If the chlorine has gone to 0, add more and see if that process repeats. I am hoping you do not have an ammonia problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.