Hypothetical Extremely low pH

Aug 14, 2018
Delaware
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So there was a post on a FB group where they were told to add in 5 gallons of MA. This was an 18000 gallon pool. As soon as I read that I immediately told them NOT do add all that at once as it (according to pool math) would drop pH about 8.5 and it would cause damage.

So hypothetically, if the pH did drop to around 0 or in negative pH how quickly would it start to destroy the liner or pump etc, and what could that do to a person subject to that low of a pH in water?

supposed starting TA was 240, were told to add it to lower the TA to 100, and its above ground. IDK the exacts on the filter and pump.
Just more so on how adding all 5 gallons at once would affect things. and of course this person did add all 5 gallons already.

Vinegar has a pH of 2.5 for a frame of reference.

AGP likely doesn’t have a heater or SWG in the water flow that would be damaged by acidic water. Maybe metal parts of the frame. Filter may have got a good cleaning.

The pH literally could not go to zero or negative because the acid you are using is more basic than that. Realistically the farthest you could drop it is around 2 or 3, which is similar to vinegar. So in reality it would not be harmful to human skin, but would make eyes burn like crazy. It would begin damaging the liner, pipes, and pump, but the issues would be due to chronic exposure and acute exposure wouldn't cause any significant damage. The exception would be a heater, which has copper tubing with a large surface area, which would start to see damage almost instantly and could be destroyed within days or even hours.

So the issue is that PoolMath, or any pool calculator for that matter, cannot reasonably calculate large pH changes. So when you told it you were adding 5 gallons of MA it gave you an unreasonable result. Not to say you should add 5 gallons of MA ever, but it would not take the pH down to zero.

But in the tradition of Randall Munroe, "What if?" If your pH were zero or lower any exposed metal would begin getting eaten. The liner would quickly begin to wrinkle and most likely the seals of the pump would start to disintegrate causing leaks. Leaks on to concrete would begin etching it. As the liner failed and the aluminum of your pool began dissolving a catastrophic failure would result. The tsunami of acid would destroy all plant life it met as it swept through the yard. A person in the pool before this happened would quickly be unable to breathe, their skin would burn, they would be blinded by the fumes. As they attempted to escape the acid pool the ladder would fail under their weight, plunging them in to the acid. Their lifeless body would be deposited somewhere after the tsunami for the investigators to ponder. It would be a bad day all around ?

So, while such a fate would not be in store for you or the pool, please continue to advise people never to make such stupidly large adjustments to their pool. Lot of bad advice out there, unfortunately...

Lol Thanks @Donldson. So even after adding that 5 gallons, the impact should be minimal or null? and how long would it take pH to bounce back on its own without using borax or soda ash to bring it up manually.

Last edited:
With a starting TA of 240 and pH of 7.8, I would estimate the final pH to be about 6.2 immediately and it would drift back to about 7.2 in a few days.

Acid gallons.......pH

The addition of a lot of acid creates a lot of carbon dioxide which will offgas and raise the pH in a day or two.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So there was a post on a FB group where they were told to add in 5 gallons of MA. This was an 18000 gallon pool. As soon as I read that I immediately told them NOT do add all that at once as it (according to pool math) would drop pH about 8.5 and it would cause damage.

So hypothetically, if the pH did drop to around 0 or in negative pH how quickly would it start to destroy the liner or pump etc, and what could that do to a person subject to that low of a pH in water?

When I moved into my house about thirteen years ago, the guy who installed my pool (who happened to live across the street) told me to put in two cups of pellets per week in the skimmer from the huge bucket he sold me, and one cup of powder from the other bucket. So I did. When I finally had the water tested at a pool store a few years ago, the PH and TA didn't even register on the strip. We swam in the water all those years and I don't remember any bad effects (we did have to replace a liner, but that was muskrats). So I'm sure it wasn't good having such acidic water, but there were no catastrophes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.