Hybrid Fiberglass Pool major remodel.

This weekend I need to finish my repair on the backside of the fiberglass walls. About 10 of the 60 fiberglass sleeves which hold the rebar which hold the walls were damaged when the deck was removed. On those 10 sleeves that I am repairing I am bending rebar (90 degree) and adding rebar to the top of the wall sleeves. This way when then the deck is poured it will support the walls. Since all of the old rebar was cut when the deck was removed I don't know what the original configuration was. I suspect the original builder did the same. The pool pro doesn't think it is necessary to repair the sleeves/add rebar, he feels the water will hold the walls out. He is probably correct but I have the deck off;the fiberglass mesh/resin and rebar cost will be minimal. Plus a days labor for myself.

This weekend I will repair fiberglass add rebar
Next week concrete contractor adds flexible forms and pours
Technically it should then be operational. Keep in mind our pool season in Buffalo NY is June to Sep 1
If the pool pro agrees to include the function of the hydrostatic valve with his liner proposal we will order the liner. That's our hold up now. The pool pro and ourselves want to do a liner ASAP. He wants to cement the drain that also houses the hydrostatic valve. I am concerned with eliminating the function of that Hydrostatic valve.

Ready for concrete. I used a cloth mesh (similar to seatbelt in a car) and a fiberglass resin to repair the fiberglass sleeves that were broken when the concrete deck was removed. Repaired about 10 sleeves and added about 20 pieces of rebar that I bent. In theory with the rebar the concrete deck will also support the top of the pool walls.
Just ordered a vinyl liner today. Hopefully installed in about 10 days.
pool after 3.jpgpool after 4.jpg

Smart idea! That fiberglass mesh is awesome to work with. Husband used LOTS of it on his competition jet ski!

Getting close to being done.

Will you wait to get water in the pool before you do the deck?

Kim:cat:

Will you wait to get water in the pool before you do the deck?

I have been told the water needs to be to the top when the concrete is poured. Since the concrete connects to the rebar on the top of the walls, the concrete actually supports the top of the walls from caving in.The working theory is the water will help support the walls so the concrete doesn't push them in. Once the concrete cures then the pool can be drained for the liner. So basically the 16,000 gallons of water is an insurance policy. I have never owned a pool before or had a water bill over $50. Within a month I will fill this pool twice. I guess my $50 water bill days are over.

I like that plan. That is cheap insurance after all you have already been through.

You can also get/make boards to go from one side to the other to really help the side from bowing in. That wet cement is heavy and pushes quite a bit.

the "good" fiberglass pool installs/ers have the supporting boards (4x4 posts) across the pool connecting the sides in at least 2 places keeping the sides of the pool exactly where you want it..

the "good" fiberglass pool installs/ers have the supporting boards (4x4 posts) across the pool connecting the sides in at least 2 places keeping the sides of the pool exactly where you want it..

Makes sense. Since this is not a new install, I am not dealing with a pool builder. It is me and the TFP, I am the general contractor with zero GC experience and a do it yourselfer all in one.

In addition to the posts on TFP, looks like I will try and put some posts across the inside of the pool before they pour concrete in a couple of days.

Progress. The pool is now properly backfilled.While doing so I didn't commit any of the 7 deadly sins of Fiberglass pool installation. Thank you again. Hopefully supporting boards tonight and concrete tomorrow.
Pool after4.jpg
Pool after 5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the bottom picture, is it me or is that back right side piece of coping look more straight than curved? It looks different from the left side but it could just be the perspective.

Bonding is in. Deck is on, concrete guy cleared it to be walked on. Technically if the pool was cleaned and chlorinated it should be swimmable.
I decided to flip the breaker to the pump on for first time just to see if the mechanicals work. Excited to finally bring this pool back to life. About 30 seconds in I had to shut it all off. I was watching for air in the pump and saw a dark object. Turns out it was a frog. He must of went on one heck of a ride through the plumbing. The pump and lines have been set for a while now. I don't think I had the basket on the skimmer when we were idle for a couple weeks. He was alive so we took the cover off of the pump and set him free. Our kids enjoyed that more than the pool coming to life.Once the liner is in I will be ready to post the before and after pics and recap the costs. Thanks for coming along for the ride.
pool after 8.jpg
pool after 7.jpg
pool after 9.jpg

Your guy did a great job! Does it look as good in person?

Hi there little froggy! LOL on the kids liking that part the best :rolleyes: KIDS! hehe They will love the pool when they can get in it! How old are the kids?

Do you have a good test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck.

Your guy did a great job! Does it look as good in person?

Hi there little froggy! LOL on the kids liking that part the best :rolleyes: KIDS! hehe They will love the pool when they can get in it! How old are the kids?

Do you have a good test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck.

Concrete looks good in person. There is some splatter on the coping. Shouldn't be a big deal to clean up when the liner goes in.

We have 5 kids. 3 boys 10,and 11 yr old twins. 2 girls 7 and 14. They are chomping at the bit to swim. We also have a big yellow lab. Years ago when my wife was pregnant the dog managed to get into our cheap AG pool. She couldn't get him out, luckily a neighbor was home to rescue him. As much as I don't want to, I need to install a fence around this pool in addition to the existing fence around our backyard. I am open to fencing suggestions. Keep in mind we are in the snow belt during the winter.

I have an auto chlorinator right off the filter. I believe you put solid tabs/pucks in it. From what I have read on here, I don't think chlorine pucks are the way to go. Something about CYA. I think it was appx $200. The pool pro (who is great) suggested that with the filter. It was before TFP. He also is a dealer of pool chemicals. He has put in various stuff to clear the water, to measure for the liner. Hence the gallon buckets of shock laying upside down in the pool. Our friend who referred him to us, gets at least a months free of chemicals because we used him. I am sure the pool chemical program he recommends and sells suggestion is coming. For now I am going to decline and go with the bleach method.

I have a TF100 which I will open up when the new water goes in after the liner.

Dave

The chlorinator will not hurt anything empty. It will good to have when you go on trips so keep it for that. Other than than just use liquid chlorine.

I have an idea for the dog but do not have time right now to look up the links. I will get back with you in a while on that!

Super Skamper Ramp Pool Pet Ramp - Pets up to 200 Pounds - Walmart.com

This is what we have in our pool. We put it in for the cats. We have not tried it out with the dog as he has the pond to swim in so we do not allow him in the pool. Saying that I am not sure if it will work for a big dog. Our cats love it! They get on it to drink water out of the pool :rolleyes: LOL

There are some other ideas if you google "pet pool ramps".

As for the fence there are SO many kinds out there do a search and see what you like the look of. What will be the primary reason for having it? If it is to just keep the dog out......the ramp or something like it work with out the extra time and cost of the fence. I just wanted to give you an option. Let me know what you decide to do.

What a house full you have! Lots of laughter and groans a day I bet! I am glad I don't have to feed them! LOL

Super Skamper Ramp Pool Pet Ramp - Pets up to 200 Pounds - Walmart.com

This is what we have in our pool. We put it in for the cats. We have not tried it out with the dog as he has the pond to swim in so we do not allow him in the pool. Saying that I am not sure if it will work for a big dog. Our cats love it! They get on it to drink water out of the pool :rolleyes: LOL

There are some other ideas if you google "pet pool ramps".

As for the fence there are SO many kinds out there do a search and see what you like the look of. What will be the primary reason for having it? If it is to just keep the dog out......the ramp or something like it work with out the extra time and cost of the fence. I just wanted to give you an option. Let me know what you decide to do.

What a house full you have! Lots of laughter and groans a day I bet! I am glad I don't have to feed them! LOL

Even though our youngest is 7 and she knows how to swim, our primary reason to have the fence is to keep the kids safe. This way if they are home with a babysitter, it is one less thing to worry about. Basically I don't want our kids swimming without an adult. Also it will have a vinyl liner so I don't need our dog clawing that up.

I have built fences before. I will probably install a white picket vinyl fence around the perimeter of the pool with a gate and a lock. Our winters are rough so wood doesn't seem to hold up over time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.