Scttytohtty

Apr 10, 2018
Punta Gorda, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Went through Hurricane Ian and had a ton of damage to our house and the surrounding homes. Our pool was filled with roofing debris and insulation amongst other things. Had to re-plumb the equipment pad because something took out my filter. Anyway, I'm finally ready to get the pool back open!

The pool is swamp -like and I notice an oil like sheen on the top. Is it from the asphalt shingles or can algae do that? I'm thinking it's best to drain the water and start over?

It's probable there is still some smaller debris on the bottom that I can't see. My concern with draining is the high water table here and I don't want the pool to pop out of the ground. In South Florida. I'm guessing that the water table is about 5 feet down. Any guidance on draining?

I called a bunch of pool companies and all but one called me back. Quoted $4k to get the water clear and balanced, with no other work!! My pool is 18k gallons plaster btw and I've been maintaining it for 8 years.

Is it from the asphalt shingles or can algae do that?
Hard to know with everything that blew in and flooded your area. I would not recommend draining the pool as that could lead to worse problems. I would start with the SLAM Process first. If the oil substance is still eveidnet after the SLAM we can come back to that issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you have a submersible pump?
I agree with Pat that a SLAM will be needed, but you might first try pumping off the surface water that you state is 'oil' and then exchange some water to reduce the organic load. See Draining - Further Reading

I spent about 3 hours scooping the bottom and retrieved a trash can full of small debris including nails and a bunch of glass. I didn't have any broken windows so not sure where it came from. I used a small pump and was able to pump a few inches of surface water off and the oil slick has disappeared. Great suggestion. I'm going to start the SLAM process Monday.

Not fun! We also live in SW FL and went thru the same thing with Ian ...shingles, glass, you name it disgusting .... and no power for weeks because the whole power pole was ripped off the house. Our pool in located near the Peace river and was drained for quite a while for pressure washing and re-plaster. I don't know your unique situation but draining it
for a short time should not cause it to pop out, especially since we haven't had much rain lately. IMO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.