Hth green to blue

The pool was green. Now it is greener.
I believe HTH makes more than one type of Green to Blue product. To be sure, can you post a pic of the box and the ingredients label?

It would also be helpful to see a pic of your water.

Let's see a pic of your equipment pad.

Are you on a well? What other type of pool store products have you been adding to the water this year?

Lastly, do you test your own water? If so, what test kit do you use? can you post a set of water test results?

We are in well water. Am I going to have to drain the pool?
That depends. If the chlorine is reacting very fast with the iron to the point you can barely keep any chloride in the water, then finding a new source of fresh water may be best for you. Some people elect to try and filter out as much iron as possible with polyfill. You can stuff polyfill into a skimmer or fabricate your own auxiliary polyfill container and run the pool water through it as seen below. So if you keep the current water, the more iron you can filter out now the better. Do not use anything in the water but liquid chlorine. All these other off-the-shelf powders and junks cause more problem than they are worth.

full

Reactions: Stategirl1986
Keep in mind we always treat and prevent algae first. If a pool has algae, it requires an elevated FC level as part of the SLAM Process to treat the algae. That elevated chlorine level usually aggravates iron in the water causing the color changing to green or ice tea and sometimes stains around the pool. This is a perfect time for polyifill.

After the water is clear and the SLAM Process completed, then we adjust the chemicals to normal levels to see if the water color will go back to normal. If not, the owner has the option of using a sequestrant on a recurring basis to contain the iron in soluble form.

The HTH I put in was what messed it up. I had some green before but not a lot
Sounds like your first step is to perform the SLAM Process to ensure the water goes back to crystal clear and sanitary. I hope you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to conduct and monitor the SLAM Process. That is very important. Once you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, you can reevaluate the water to see if any further actions are requires for potential metals. Hopefully not, but algae control is step #1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.