How to vacuum debris with a Hayward perflex DE FILTER

Nklys11

May 14, 2022
Western ma
How do you vacuum to waste with a DE Filter (no multi-port Valve. Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump. My parents just got a house with this filter and we have only ever used Sand filters

The pool is clear but there is debris on the bottom.. can we vacuum to with the filter running and open the Waste port?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If you don't have a multiport valve, you can't vacuum to waste unless the installers added a 3-way valve after the pump but before the filter. :(

Reactions: Nklys11
Welcome to TFP! :wave: If you don't have a multiport valve, you can't vacuum to waste unless the installers added a 3-way valve after the pump but before the filter. :(

Thanks! No there is no valve between the pump or filter, and no room to add one..
What do people do when they need to vacuum out heavy debris?!

What about vacuuming with the waste port open?
Is that not an option? I don’t have any pictures right now..but can provide some soon

Thanks! No there is no valve between the pump or filter, and no room to add one..

Is that not an option? I don’t have any pictures right now..but can provide some soon
Those Pump/Filter kits are flawed in that aspect. The whole reason I bought a robot was to never ever have to vacuum and avoid having to clean my filter frequently (granted cartridge filters are not that difficult to clear).

Yes you can vac to waste with port open on DE filter. Just be aware water level will rapidly drop so have a hose filling pool as you go. Move quickly! The best is to use a good leaf net for heavy debris. Get as much as possible out 1st

I just got done rereading the Perflex manual as I do every spring. It actually mentions vacuuming specifically. The manual states:

VACUUMING
Vacuuming can be performed directly into the filter whenever needed. For fastest results, regenerate the filter before and after each vacuuming operation.

Now I think that’s a little counterproductive and I could see this failing miserably but alas maybe give it a try and see? I think I’m personally going to install a T and two valves between the filter and pump to accomplish vacuuming personally.

I have the same setup and am having the same issue I need to vacuum but don’t want to put it through the filter. Plus my filter is constantly giving me pressure issues which I think is algae related.

we have the same setup. one thing that works really well for me, once we use the pool for the first time, is to "run" around the inside perimeter of the pool 10 times before getting out (or make the kids do it). creates enough vortex that everything, even light debris, will gather in the middle of the pool. once it settles i need to vacuum out only 20 sqft or so to get it all. i usually just take the lid off the pump's debris catcher and use siphon action to "vacuum" so there is very little water to replace. i don't let it go into the filter at all. also, for the vacuuming i don't have any vacuum head on the hose, just hover the end of the hose near the debris pile and it comes out very fast, plus i can see exactly where it's pulling from. obviously doesn't work if you haven't gotten into the pool yet, unless you hang an outboard motor on the side and run that for a bit. :)

Now I think that’s a little counterproductive and I could see this failing miserably but alas maybe give it a try and see?
Counterproductive to what? Vacuuming will work just fine. What will fail miserably?

To be clear, I believe that "regenerating" is bumping a Perflex filter, not backwashing and recoating.

Anyone who wants to save their Perflex filter when manually backwashing can use skimmer socks.
Plus my filter is constantly giving me pressure issues which I think is algae related.
Very likely. I had the same problem before I found TFP and ran a full SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone who wants to save their Perflex filter when manually backwashing can use skimmer socks.
Skimmer socks are so nice. They save a lot of cleaning. They are reusable most of the time but I can just dispose of any that are too gross.

Counterproductive to what? Vacuuming will work just fine. What will fail miserably?

To be clear, I believe that "regenerating" is bumping a Perflex filter, not backwashing and recoating.

Very likely. I had the same problem before I found TFP and ran a full SLAM Process.
Sorry, I should have clarified! Going along with the inability to vacuum to waste. I should preface by saying I absolutely love my filter! And adding a “T” after the pump, before the filter with a couple of ball valves will do just fine in place of it. I guess I just didn’t see how vacuuming directly into the filter, as the manual states, only by regenerating the DE before and after, wouldn’t cause you to need to backwash and re-coat much sooner than necessary.

I should add since my original post I gave it a try. It only raised the PSI by a little and the pool had gotten pretty dirty before vacuuming (darn trees). I’ll have to see how many more times I can go before a backwash is needed. I have a relatively small pool and I didn’t change the DE once last season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.