How to use a bucket filter method (with no pool ladder) for getting iron out?

freedommoon

Jul 15, 2021
Lithuania
So we got Bestway pool 10 x 30 and after adding chlorine shock, the water turned green but clear. Then my filter was getting some rust so I found out it's iron. I started using the sock method, where you put two socks on a filter pump hose and it's catching some iron particles, it's been 8hours, the sock is rusty but water hasn't changed one bit. So I was thinking using the bucket with poly fill method. I just don't have a pool ladder because my pool is pretty low so we don't need it. I just have no idea how to secure the bucket so that water flows inside the pool. It's an inflatable pool. I know there's been many threads about this already but I couldn't find the right answer.Thank you in advance.
Also, do I just filter my pool until it's clear or should I add chlorine while it's filtering out iron? I mean chlorine is what caused for iron to come out so i guess I shouldn't use any chemicals until water clears out?

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Maybe you could place a stepstool, chair, or something else in the pool to hold a bucket with polyfill to help?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Maybe you could place a stepstool, chair, or something else in the pool to hold a bucket with polyfill to help?

Also, how do I secure the filter pump hose to the bucket without any adapters? Would duct tape hold up well?

how do I secure the filter pump hose to the bucket without any adapters? Would duct tape hold up well?
As a DIY project, you could try just about anything. Some folks may go to their local hardware store and use some fittings/adapters to connect the pool hose to the bucket, but that isn't always necessary since the water in the bucket isn't pressurized. Water will (should) flow IN from one end (or the top), go through the polyfill, and finally out the other end (or bottom) freely.

As a DIY project, you could try just about anything. Some folks may go to their local hardware store and use some fittings/adapters to connect the pool hose to the bucket, but that isn't always necessary since the water in the bucket isn't pressurized. Water will (should) flow IN from one end (or the top), go through the polyfill, and finally out the other end (or bottom) freely.
Thank you :) One last question, so I should leave my pool filtering and not use any chlorine until the water clears out? Cause some say if your water is still brown and you add chlorine then it can get even darker. What if my chlorine levels drop to 0 tomorrow and the water is still brown? Just hosed the socks off, water was black, same with the filter, Dang.

so I should leave my pool filtering and not use any chlorine until the water clears out?
No, continue to use chlorine. You don't want algae or you'll have to dump everything out and start over. In fact, the chlorine should aggravate the iron which "should" make it slightly easier to filter in the polyfill.

Reactions: proavia
Hey freedom and Welcome. If you haven’t figure out the rigging yet, you can MacGuyver it from anything. Some pipes duct taped together in a tripod, 2X4s, Whatever you have laying around. Rule # 1 in redneck engineering is that if it looks stupid but works, it ain’t stupid. Rule #2 is safety 3rd. Rule #3 obviously, is safety. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Chad1979

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you are making progress. :goodjob: Keep at it!
This is how it looks like this morning and I started yesterday. Didn't even start the bucket method but kept going with the sock on the filter pump hose and it did wonders. Just not sure if it won't turn green again after I add chlorine :( I put chlorine tablets inside the floater, and will turn off filter pump in 2hours because I leave for work and won't be home for 16 hours, I hope it won't turn green.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Newdude
Stick with it. The more iron you capture the better. Others see great results in 2-3 days with consistent filtering through polyfill.
So I shocked the water yesterday and after filtering the green water out for 24hours, I tested water today and Ph was 7.4 and chlorine 0.3mg/l. I added chlorine tablets into the floater. Will it be enough or I should add granulated chlorine or shock it to raise it?

Since you have iron in your source water, you want to be careful about adding too much stabilized chlorine. If the stabilizer level gets too high it will be difficult to keep the pool clear and you will have to drain the pool and start over with fresh water, meaning you would have to filter out rust again. You can use liquid chlorine or you can use calcium hypochlorite granules if you can get it where you are.

You should add liquid chlorine (or regular bleach) right away. It's the easier, quickest way to increase FC.
I added chlorine and it turned slightly green again :( using the 1 gallon bottle with poly filling, I can already see it capturing the rust, but how do I make sure it won't turn green everytime I add chlorine? or I just need to get used to filtering it out with DIY projects everytime?

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 13
When you have to top off water it may turn on you depending on how much iron is in the water. Are you able to buy sequestrant where you are? If you add sequestrant it will keep the iron in suspension so it doesn't react to the chlorine. If you use sequestrant you will need to replenish it regularly. How often depends on how much iron is in the water. Most people add it monthly.

When you have to top off water it may turn on you depending on how much iron is in the water. Are you able to buy sequestrant where you are? If you add sequestrant it will keep the iron in suspension so it doesn't react to the chlorine. If you use sequestrant you will need to replenish it regularly. How often depends on how much iron is in the water. Most people add it monthly.
Haven’t seen any sequestrants in our pool stores. And it should be added before chlorine? So I would have to drain my pool and fill it again? (Which I don’t want to cause the summer is already ending so we just swam in metal’ish water today :D ). I think I will filter it often with poly fil this year and treat water the other way next year :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.