How to tell if Jandy watercolor LED light is 12 volt or 120volt

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
Hi,

I think one of my lights is bad and looking to replace. I replaced the spa light before and bought a 120V replacement, but this was back in 2016 and I just replaced the light engine. I am pretty sure I would have confirmed when I did it back in 2016, but of course now I'm not sure. It is hooked into and controlled by an Aqualink RS PDA system. Does that mean its 120V or is there an easy way to tell?

If your light is 12V then you should find a transformer between the Aqualink relay and the light.

Is the light wired to a junction box or directly to the Aqualink?

Only 100% way to confirm if you don;t find a transformer is to put a multimeter on the light power at the light or J-box and measure the voltage. Or pull the light out of the niche and examine it.

If your light is 12V then you should find a transformer between the Aqualink relay and the light.

Is the light wired to a junction box or directly to the Aqualink?

Only 100% way to confirm if you don;t find a transformer is to put a multimeter on the light power at the light or J-box and measure the voltage. Or pull the light out of the niche and examine it.
do you have to open the light to examine it or just pull it out of the niche and look at the back? How do I know what a J box looks like.? There is a breaker for the lights in the Aqualink box.

Depends if the light has labels on the outside.

A pool light J-box looks like this...

full

Any light controlled by the Aqualink is connected to a breaker. What matters is if the breaker frred a trasnformer that lowers the voltage to 12V or directly feed the light.

defintitely have one of those, but I also have lighting around the pool so I'm not sure which it goes to. I guess if the lighting around the pool is off and the pool lights are on, then that would be an easy way to check it. Just take off the black top and probe the wires?

defintitely have one of those, but I also have lighting around the pool so I'm not sure which it goes to. I guess if the lighting around the pool is off and the pool lights are on, then that would be an easy way to check it. Just take off the black top and probe the wires?

I am not comfortable saying you should probe possible live 120V circuits if you are not sure what you are doing.

First step is to open the J-box with the power off and visually examine the wiring and see if you can identify the wiring functions and understand how your lights are wired.

So the Jbox is not the transformer then, What would a transformer look like for for the lights? pretty sure I don't have that in line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.