How to support AGP legs on foam boards?

OlympicKnight

Mar 29, 2021
Olympia, WA
I am installing a 13' x 42" Bestway above-ground pool. I have leveled pavers (for the legs) and ground. I will be using 2" Owens Corning XPS Foamular 250 2 inches from Home Depot under the pool ($30/board). I am planning to use the same foam boards when I upgrade to a larger pool size in a couple of years (when kids get a little older). Therefore, if possible, I do not want to cut the foam boards now. Would it be okay to put additional pavers (1.5" inch thick) on top of the foam boards to support the legs? Or, should I keep the bottom of the legs level with the bottom of the pool directly on the foam boards?
Thank you.

Reusing the foam boards sounds a bit optimistic to me. If you put the legs right on the foam they'll punch through. If you put the pavers on top of the foam that's going to put a lot of strain on the frame but I think it will take it. Then the pavers are still going to leave an imprint on the foam, and I'd guess probably end up getting pressed down nearly an inch by the end of the season.

This is why I used R-Tech Polystyrene. Does get heel prints but is nice and soft, and most of all cheap!

your pool will weigh 27,540 pounds or about 12.5 tons pushing down on your legs... it will go through the foam and it will break the 1.5 inch blocks and you will have to start over...

It is better to use the 4 x 8 x 16 solid blocks as they will not break and you can dig down just enough to have the tops inline with your foam.. Is there a reason you went with the 2 inch foam? not sure how much it will compact at 12.5 tons of weight...

You can cut the foam out and keep the pieces, if you number them you can tape them back in the exact hole you cut out :)

your pool will weigh 27,540 pounds or about 12.5 tons pushing down on your legs... it will go through the foam and it will break the 1.5 inch blocks and you will have to start over...
It is better to use the 4 x 8 x 16 solid blocks as they will not break and you can dig down just enough to have the tops inline with your foam.. Is there a reason you went with the 2 inch foam? not sure how much it will compact at 12.5 tons of weight...

You can cut the foam out and keep the pieces, if you number them you can tape them back in the exact hole you cut out :)
ohh another XPS thread, I just replied in another one.

in the UK XPS is typically 300kpa which means it will compress less than 10% when 30tonnes per m2 is loaded.
Sounds great for water ( your pool is only 12.5 tonnes spread over a larger area). However if you work it out further 30t/m2 is only 3kg/cm2. Your leg bases would be a much smaller area and bigger weight so will definitely break through the foam. I’m not so sure on the paver on top of the board though and the maths is beyond me (12.5 tonne weight will be distributed across all the legs and the pavers are a bigger area but not sure of the exact numbers).

You can cut the foam out and keep the pieces, if you number them you can tape them back in the exact hole you cut out.
I’d cut the foam.
I researched 1000 options to manage the weight imposed by the frame legs. However, cutting foam is the most practical solution as you both suggest. So, that's what I did. Thank you all.

I researched 1000 options to manage the weight imposed by the frame legs. However, cutting foam is the most practical solution as you both suggest. So, that's what I did. Thank you all.
All of the pink foam board I can find is scored on both sides. Is this what everyone is using?

All of the pink foam board I can find is scored on both sides.
Yes. I am using Ownes Corning Foamular 250 2" R-10 insulation that's scored on both sides. Even though the boards are rated for 25 PSI, I noticed denting with the pressure of my knee! To prevent the boards from denting easily, I am using Harbour Freight Anti-fatigue mat. The mat improves cushioning, feel, and comfort.

I suspect that taping seams would be ineffective due to movements and moisture exposure at the seams. I taped one seam and it was far less than effective. I also did not tape over the scored line; they are held together naturally by the foam. My goal with taping is to hold the entire foam assembly together. So, I taped it across as you see it in the photo. I am currently putting Harbour Freight anti-fatigue mats on; it's working very well. You are getting a live update. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_193900801.jpg
    PXL_20210411_193900801.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Nathan8372

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.