kjoconnor

Aug 3, 2022
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved into this house last year and the pool had not been cared for by the previous elderly residents. I spent last year getting the pool working (leaks and equipment issues!) and want to try and restore the surrounding of the pool now.

For the gaps between the pavers I plan on using backer rod and polymeric sand, unless you all think maybe caulking is a better idea?

For the stone itself what would be the best way to get it cleaned? Also dealing with some carpenter bees between the gaps but I assume that's just a matter of the right pest removal spray.

Attachments

• IMG_6982.jpeg
    IMG_6982.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6983.jpeg
    IMG_6983.jpeg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 11
Moved into this house last year and the pool had not been cared for by the previous elderly residents. I spent last year getting the pool working (leaks and equipment issues!) and want to try and restore the surrounding of the pool now.

For the gaps between the pavers I plan on using backer rod and polymeric sand, unless you all think maybe caulking is a better idea?

For the stone itself what would be the best way to get it cleaned? Also dealing with some carpenter bees between the gaps but I assume that's just a matter of the right pest removal spray.
You should maintain an expansion gap between the coping and the paver stones. The deck and pool expand at different rates in the heat and so cracking can occur in one or both of those if they cant move. A 1/2” gap filled with flexible sealant is pretty common. Id say the pavers will clean up with a good pressure washing.

Reactions: kjoconnor
You should maintain an expansion gap between the coping and the paver stones. The deck and pool expand at different rates in the heat and so cracking can occur in one or both of those if they cant move. A 1/2” gap filled with flexible sealant is pretty common. Id say the pavers will clean up with a good pressure washing.
Thanks - I think there was backer rod in there prior so if I use that again it should allow for expansion/contraction right?

The black on your pavers and retaining wall is mold/mildew.

As said, pressure washing should clean it up.

Spraying areas with Wet and Forget will also clean it up over time.

Thanks! I'll get some of that and start spraying. Is there a particular sealant people recommend for the joints and a separate one for the pavers?

Thanks! I'll get some of that and start spraying. Is there a particular sealant people recommend for the joints and a separate one for the pavers?
What do you want a sealant for?

I figured after spraying chemicals/power washing you may need to seal it to prevent damage. I could certainly be wrong!

And for the joints, maybe sealant is the wrong word, but whatever you would put over the backer rod. I think previously there was polymeric sand in the joints.

I figured after spraying chemicals/power washing you may need to seal it to prevent damage. I could certainly be wrong!

Damage from what?

No sealant necessary for stone.

And for the joints, maybe sealant is the wrong word, but whatever you would put over the backer rod. I think previously there was polymeric sand in the joints.
If the joints are now open and need filling then get polymeric sand and sweep it in the joints.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support