How to read CYA test

Fun4Life67

Silver Supporter
May 15, 2020
Mount Pleasant NC
Im doing the CYA test for the first time. I know to watch for the black dot to disapear. But should it be completely gone or just starting to disappear. If i can just barely see it then its not disapeared yet. Ive done the test a couple of times and im getting different readings. First time 60 second time 40. Yesterday i added enough syabalizer to get me up to 50 according to pool math.

For me it is easier to fill to a line without looking at it while filling. If I see the dot, fill to next line then look again. Until I can't see the dot with a quick glance.
When filling and staring at it, I seem to see it forever.

Im doing the CYA test for the first time. I know to watch for the black dot to disapear. But should it be completely gone or just starting to disappear. If i can just barely see it then its not disapeared yet. Ive done the test a couple of times and im getting different readings. First time 60 second time 40. Yesterday i added enough syabalizer to get me up to 50 according to pool math. The first picture is at 50 the second picture is at 60. Which dot is disappeared?
>

Attachments

• 20200628_175531.jpg
    20200628_175531.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200628_175748.jpg
    20200628_175748.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: splashpad
Here's what works for me. Do it outdoors with sun behind you. Look forward, squirt some mixture in. Glance down. Dot there? Yes, look forward, squirt some more in. Black dot? Keep doing this 'till the dot's gone. If you want to try again pour back into the mixing bottle and do it again. You can do this as many times as needed. Pretty soon you'll be within 10 ppm and that's the limit of the accuracy of the test. I don't know why glancing makes it so much easier but it does.

I hope this helps you as much as it did for me.

Chris

PS, if you really do have trouble even after glancing you can buy a 50 ppm standard solution. Use it for the test and you know what to look for at 50 ppm on the tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.