How to prevent biofilm in Spa? O-Care?

Nov 5, 2016
Sweden
Is there a magic way to prevent biofilm from establish in a spa?

I do use pipe clean each time I change water. It is not so much biofilm but, if possible, I would prefer to have none.

I seen that the product "O-Care" claim it prevents biofilm (and also claim that the water becomes softer and reduces the need for other chemicals). I don’t use that much chemicals in the first place, I use less than 2 grams bromine per day (when I am not using the spa), so that is not a problem. O-Care product is expensive, and I am not sure it will help much. But if there is a way to prevent biofilm and prevent from using pipe clean each time I change water I might consider paying extra for that convenience.

Perhaps it is other ways to prevent biofilm. If so how?

Current status:

I Live in Sweden. I have had my spa (Viskan Ekerö) for 4 years now. My Spa (Acrylic) is on 1715 liters (453 Gallons) and have a UV-C lamp. I use a floating bromine dispenser that gives about 2 gr/day (15 gr/week) which gives me a bromine level of about 2-6 ppm in the water. Bathing about 4 times per month 1 hour and after bath adding 5 ml bromine granulate/person. Shocking with MPS 45 ml after 4 baths. Clean filters on a regular basis and switch water after 80 baths/hours (or approx 1 time a year) and use pipe clean each time. TDS never goes over 1000 OSU before changing water. I test the water with Taylor Kit K-2106 and/or K-2006 1-2 times a week. I use tap water with very good quality in the spa. Always shower before entering the spa. The Ch is at level 140 ppm and I have the Alkalinity around 40-50 (which seems to be the idle way to keep pH stable at 7,4-7,6). The water in the spa is normally crisp clear.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Kim!

I did not clean the spa before using it the first time (didn't know I was supposed to). When I changed water the first time (after 5 months) I used pipe cleaner and it was a lot of biofilm coming out, more than the other 6 times I have changed water. I read the link about Ahh-some but have not yet tested it. I definitely will. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
Considering that most places will deliver and startup new tubs, I doubt if almost anyone would have had the chance to clean the tub before first startup. Don't know if it works that way on that side of the pond.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing and/or use Ahh-Some immediately before the water change. I had a very small amount of bio film come out with Ahh-some and what I did brush at my first water change, and that is because I keep the water pretty well balanced and chlorinated. (I almost switched to Bromine and I will if I ever get on a routine where I can't maintain it every other day or more.) I suspect it was because of the dirt that blew in during a strong storm that blew the cover open when they were building the pool or from manufacture. Being able to change the water a couple of times a year is both a blessing and a curse as you well know....

Your water in Europe is so soft compared to what we have. My "curse" after changing the water is getting the TA back down from about the 200-220 or so starting (I have very fast pH creep upwards for a long while).... so there is a lot of acid additions for the first half of the water's life here.

Reactions: Kenneth N
Is there a magic way to prevent biofilm from establish in a spa?
Perhaps it is other ways to prevent biofilm. If so how?
Not that I have seen. Maintaining proper bromine or chlorine levels will reduce it as much as possible. Plus so long as those levels are maintained, there should be no health risks from small amounts of biofilms in the pipes.

My plan is to always run Ahh-some through our spa every time we change the water.

Ahh-some can be used on a regular basis in diluted form. You add a few ounces of the diluted solution every couple of days. At the normal purging concentration, Ahh-some is a powerful surfactant which lifts biofilms. When diluted, it acts like a mild clarifier helping you coagulate particulates. It’s not necessary to use it that way but it’s not bad fir your water either. You’ll just want to keep a more watchful eye on the cartridge filter as it can load up faster with the use of a coagulant.

@Ahhsomeguy should know the dilution for a daily-use solution.

Thank you JoyfulNoise!
I guess then Ahh-soome can be used the same way as O-Care claims but perhaps both better and cheaper.

In Sweden, were I live, I can only get a hold of this Ahh-some product:
Ahh-Some Hot-tub Cleaner, rengöring för rörsystem, 57 gram – Villa Spa
It does not look the same as on Ahh-some web page (see picture below).
Is it the same/right product?

1584293560767.png1584293560767.png

@Ahhsomeguy:
How much should I add to my 1715 liter (453 Gallons) spa after each bath / or every second week to keep the pipes clean and to prevent biofilm build up? I normally change water after 80 baths (=approximately once a year).

Is there a risk with adding Ahh-Some again and again in to the same water that I will be using for a year (or only a benefit)?

I wrote to www.ahhsome.com and asked for guidance if the product could be used to prevent biofilm build up between water changes.

The answer was unfortunately no:
"We recommend using the Ahh-Some as a purge and drain product Nd not as weekly maintenance product."

It is however common that producers are conservative in their recommendations so it would be interesting to hear if anyone do use Ahh-some as maintenance even if NOT changing water (similar to O-Care and AquaFinesse who claim to prevent biofilm if used weekly - but to a high cost).

I did get the answer the product above (on the picture) is the same product as on the web site (probably only new label) and I have also gotten my shipment of the product. I just changed water so Ahh-some will not be used for some months though...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.