How to perform firmware upgrade on Pentair* controllers

njs-pC didn't read by VD pump correctly on 2.06. It does now on 2.18.

My USBDM came from aliexpress in less that 1 week!

As for the extra relays, you will get those with the firmware you are on. If I didn't already order the USBDM (thinking upgrading would be needed to unlock the extra relays) I probably wouldn't have done it.
Thanks for the info!

I haven't got my njs-pC installed yet (running conduit with CAT6 from the house to the pi this weekend) but I will have to see how it handles my Superflo VS. Version 7.01 which was just released adds specific support for the Superflo VS. If you don't mind, what kind of errors did you get with 2.06? Also, could you provide the link to your USBDM from aliexpresses? That shipping time is awesome!

This gives me another point to consider, I'm comfortable soldering the resistors for the extra relays but flashing the firmware gives me worries about bricking the board. Your write-up on doing it over USBDM is awesome so maybe I do it for the added benefits. What did you need to order besides the USBDM? I see that you have a ribbon cable going from the USBDM to the EasyTouch mainboard I assume, did you need anything else?. Thanks again!

I use a raspberry pi zero W stuffed right in the low voltage area of the easytouch. The wifi is great, no need for cat6. I think they are $10 at microcenter (maybe $5).

The ribbon cable comes with the USBDM. I used some header pins to stick into the ribbon cable and soldered the 6 pin 1.25 JST connector to them. The details are in the njs-pC thread.

It read my old VS pump as a VF until I upgraded the firmware. I couldn't change the pump settings.

I don't know that these can really get "bricked" per se. I did a full mass erase on mine handheld wireless unit and loaded the wrong .s19 file (the ones from pentair which are the wrong format). I lost the EEPROM settings but once I loaded the correct file it all worked again and got the settings from the outside unit.

US $11.68 | For Freescale USBDM Programmer JS16 BDM/OSBDM OSBDM Download Debugger Emulator Downloader 48MHz USB2.0 V4.12 RCmall FZ0622C

Ordered 4-25
Delivered 5-10
So more like 2 weeks.

Reactions: Chenzo
Thanks for the link!

I need to run CAT6 anyways for my TV and camera so it was just convenient enough to add a line for the Pi. My core switch is PoE so if I decided to grab a PoE Hat the pi is self-contained. I will look at the zero W though, thanks for the tip.

Looking at the product now I do see the ribbon cable, stuffing in some headers for soldering to the Pentair JST connector seems like the best bet! Do you know if the USBDM has the same pin configuration as post #1 on this thread? As in it follows this wiring:

BDM header-------------------Micro JST
1-----------------------------------5
2-----------------------------------1
3-----------------------------------Not Used
4-----------------------------------4
5-----------------------------------Not Used
6-----------------------------------6

If so, does this aliexpress connector look right? (Shame you have to order a pack of 10):
JST Connector.jpg

You mentioned the details being in njs-pC thread but I cant seem to find it. The issue with the pump and the fact that I can do this whole firmware upgrade for under 30 is really tempting so I might do it!

Glad to hear that the board cant really be bricked as I like to call it. I will probably have a few more questions about the process you took for flashing the outdoor unit and where you found the firmware (pentair link is down) but I really appreciate your help!

Boy, I $ure wi$h I could get $omeone to come to my hou$e and update the firmware in my 3 Ea$yTouch units. (Panel, wired, and wirele$$.)

I mean, it'$ cool you guy$ figured out how to do it, but it $eem$ like a fair bit of work for $omething I'll only need to do once.

Can you gue$$ that I would pay for thi$ $ervice?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MyAZPool
Thanks for the link!

I need to run CAT6 anyways for my TV and camera so it was just convenient enough to add a line for the Pi. My core switch is PoE so if I decided to grab a PoE Hat the pi is self-contained. I will look at the zero W though, thanks for the tip.

Looking at the product now I do see the ribbon cable, stuffing in some headers for soldering to the Pentair JST connector seems like the best bet! Do you know if the USBDM has the same pin configuration as post #1 on this thread? As in it follows this wiring:

BDM header-------------------Micro JST
1-----------------------------------5
2-----------------------------------1
3-----------------------------------Not Used
4-----------------------------------4
5-----------------------------------Not Used
6-----------------------------------6

If so, does this aliexpress connector look right? (Shame you have to order a pack of 10):
View attachment 334209

You mentioned the details being in njs-pC thread but I cant seem to find it. The issue with the pump and the fact that I can do this whole firmware upgrade for under 30 is really tempting so I might do it!

Glad to hear that the board cant really be bricked as I like to call it. I will probably have a few more questions about the process you took for flashing the outdoor unit and where you found the firmware (pentair link is down) but I really appreciate your help!
Yeah I got 4 male and 5 female sitting in am envelope. Cheaper to order new ones from China then for me to ship one to you...

The PCB on the USBDM is clearly labeled.

How to perform firmware upgrade on Pentair* controllers

Are we allowed to post Pentair firmwares here?

Yeah, no worries I can order them for cheap. Just wanted to make sure those are the ones.

Awesome I do see that in your write-up now! Thank you for doing that. So is the overall process for USBDM flashing as follows:
1. Make USBDM Ribbon to JST Connector cable
2. Prep the s19 hex files for USBDM (NXP community-based conversion tool)
3. Remove Outdoor control board from load center
4. Provide 12V power from lab bench DC power supply or other means
5. Connect JST connector to mainboard
6. Connect USBDM to computer (Probably Windows 10 in my case but can spin up Win7 VM)
7. Flash modified hex file
8. Success?

Just wondering if there is a step missing like putting the board in bootloader mode or something, can you flash the firmware as long as the board is powered?. I could probably not remove the board from the load center but I do not want to stand there with my laptop trying to flash it. Would much rather do it on my workbench which is why I assume I can just remove the board (need to do so anyways to solder resistors in) and give it 12V power at my bench.

In regards to the firmware, do you have a google drive link or something? Or maybe just PM? Thanks again for all the info. This USBDM method is so great.

All good until the removing the board. Not needed.

The board requires AC power of differing voltages that are supplied by the transformer. Rectifiers then convert to DC. You need 5VDC to the board to program it. You would have to remove and power to the transformer, too. Or find a way to tap 5V from another source.

I sat there with my laptop, lol. Whole takes less than 30 seconds. I did it with the motor and everything else still running. The programming port is accessed without physically removing the board.

As soon as the programmer detects the chip everything stopped. flash done in 10 seconds with the targeted erase method.

Once completed and verified, I disconnected the programmer and was done with the laptop. Toggled the breakers for the pool equip and when it turned back on it was done.

I also soldered the resistor right there at the equipment. I toggled the breakers for the pool equipment but left the GFI outlet on to power the soldering iron.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been doing a bunch of research/testing and have some updates.

First of all, I removed the board and brought it inside to my bench (Just prefer soldering at my bench) and soldering on R41 and R42. Ran a Self-Test and the board now reports that it is an EasyTouch 8!! I was under the impression that one resistor changed it from Pool only to Pool and Spa and the other changed from ET4 to ET8 but it seems it didn't activate the spa mode, self test just shows ET8 compared to ET4P previously. I don't actually have a Spa so that doesn't really matter to me but just something I noticed. What is awesome is that after plugging one of my relays into Aux7, one into Aux Extra, and the other two in Filter Pump and Aux 1, everything works!! I can have up to nine relays now with a simple soldering job. Super happy with how that turned out.

Now onto upgrading the firmware. I forgot the board uses AC input instead of DC and the transformer is only for stepdown, thanks for the reminder lol. Due to that, I am for sure just going to program it at the panel. Nice to know you don't have to put the system in bootloader mode and can just leave the system on and connect the USBDM programmer and start the process. I had a question regarding the jumper on the Aliexpress USBDM, I was reading the description and saw you need to set it for 3.3v or 5v I am assuming you set it to 5V? See the picture of the jumper below.
1621476675976.png

Besides that, I think I feel confident enough to make the JST to USBDM cable and flash it from my laptop out by the panel with it still powered up. I realized the Mainboard, unlike the USBDM doesn't have the pinout for the JST connector but I found this info earlier in the thread so I figured I would reshare it. Thanks for the help!
Pin-out-2-IMG_2258_zpszryufx1m.jpg

Picture from the first post

On the Micro JST plug;
1-White = Gnd
4-Yellow = Reset
5-Black = BKGD
6-Red = VCC

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great job with the soldering... you don't see spa features that weren't there before?? Perhaps they will come with the firmware upgrade.

The Jumper pins that you highlighted will power the chip/board you are trying to program. The default jumper is no power. Top one is 3V, Bottom is 5V.

In theory, you should be able to program the board on your bench by using the 5V jumper. However, it didn't work for me with my wireless unit. It did power the unit (lcd lit up) but didn't work for programming. So on the wireless unit, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, you just hold down the power button during the programming.

After not working with the wireless control, I put the jumper back to the middle for the outdoor. Since it gets its power from the transformer, you can just leave it alone.

Cycle the power to the board after programming.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm not sure I do. What is one distinctive feature that is enabled with the spa? To be honest, I'm still an ET programming noob but I see 8 feature circuits and when I click the valve button it turns the filter pump and heater on. Does that indicate spa mode or is there a distinctive way to tell? I don't even have a spa so not really important for me but might be important for others.

Okay great, I figured that I could leave it in the off position if I am powering the outdoor unit from the transformer but wanted to confirm. I considered doing it at the bench but the header is accessible quite easily as you mentioned so I will just bring my laptop to the equipment pad. I don't have an indoor unit so that is not a worry for me. njspC should handle all my indoor needs lol.

I'm ordering the USBDM programmer and Micro JST Header right now so hopefully in a few weeks I can give it a go!

Oh, by the way, I found the Pentair firmware! Using WayBackMachine, I went back to a capture from Feb 2021 and was able to grab the download link for 2.18. Looks like they recently changed the link which is why it was not working.

Can you post the correct link? I tried changing the "2021" in the link name to everything back to 2019. Perhaps I didn't go back far enough lol.

Can you assign a relay to "spa light"?
When I go to settings->Circuit Names I can set Aux 6 for example to the name "Spa Light" in the long list of options. However, when I go Circuit Functions and change Aux 6 from generic I don't see spa light, just SAM/SAL. intellibright and some others. I think that's fine though so looks like spa features did enable with the resistor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support