How to perform firmware upgrade on Pentair* controllers

I was able to update my Intellitouch to version 1.170 last month. I found a rev C programmer but the progz software was from 2008 or so. Version 1.88.00.00. I tried to use my Win7 64-bit PC to do the update. The drivers on the progz CD were out of date and incompatible with my Win7. I went to the PE website to get the latest drivers. those installed fine and I got all the LEDs on my programmer to light up. Sadly, the old prog12z didn't know how to use the new drivers so I got the error 45 which meant that it could not find to programmer. The updated drivers were a waste. My only solution was to make a windows XP virtual machine on my laptop which is a feature of Win7 Ultimate. I then passed the USB port thru to the XP virtual machine and the CD drive as well so that I could install prog12z on the VM. Once I did that I was able to use the VM to do the firmware update to my panel by using the supplied .BAT file from the Pentair update. It was a lot of work but I wanted to post it here so that others don't waste as much time as I on the update.

Just did the 1.190 update. Most of the above still applies. The changes are I'm using a Win10 laptop. Had to use VMware 15 to make a WinXP SP3 virtual machine. After installing the XP virtually I had to use the certificate update for WinXP that is on the PEMicro Support site. After that Installed I installed the PEMicro Device drivers that brought the USB driver up to version 12.4 or 12.7. I was then able to open the CP12Z and see the Multilink USB device. From there I executed the .BAT file provided by Pentair in their support section.

I'm looking up update mine, but unable to find the software as in step 1. Does anyone have the prog12z_install.exe?

Which programmer do you have?
Cyclone Pro software is free to download, you have to edit the .bat files to call the Cyclone instead of the Multilink

The early version of Prog12z_install.exe, required an early Multilink (Rev A ?) and windows XP, I believe that information is in the first post...

I still have the early Prog12z software, do you have a Windows XP computer?

Rev A multilink should then work. PM the link so I can verify Rev A.

Both Multilinks I found in the $50 range are incorrect, not for " 6 PIN HCS08 HC(S)12(X) ".

1) Win Xp,
2) Rev A programmer,
3) Early Prog12z,
4) Build yourself the cable, and then you still have to
5) edit the .bat files in order for it to work...

Last edited:
4) Programmers
Basically four choices
1) Multilink rev A from Ebay with Adelaide prog12z_install.exe software in windows XP with Pentair's EDITED scripts (.bat)
2) Parallel port BDM-Multilink, Rev B, works with Adelaide prog12z_install.exe software in windows XP with Pentair's EDITED scripts (.bat)
3) Multilink Rev B or C with Prog12Z software from P&E Micro for 169.00 (17.00 with student ID) is able to use pentair's scripts and windows 7 (But not XP, see 3a exception)
3a) USB Multilink (USB-ML-12) Rev C is reported working in posts 74 & 75 in Windows XP with software Prog12z v1.71 from post 71.
4) Cyclone Pro rev C works in windows XP with Adelaide v1.62 prog12z_install.exe, and in Windows 7 (8) with Prog12z_cyclonepro (Manual programming, no scripts / bats. See post 39 for steps) which is a free download from P&E Micro, and with Prog12Z v5.25 paid version (Automatic programming, uses Bats) from P&E Micro website.

Any advice on if any of these work with Win10?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any advice on if any of these work with Win10?

Cyclone Pro works fine in Windows 10, the software is free from P&E Micro (link is not published ??). Bat files/Scripts need to be edited for "Cyclonepro". Path to Algorithms also needs to be corrected.

A Virtual "XP Mode" VHD running in Virtualbox (Pain to set up and activate) on Windows 10 operating system, does load the Prog12z v1.71 software, Both the Multilink ver A and B programmers, load their drivers properly and both ver A & B programmers run from the un-edited Pentair bats/Scripts files properly.

Last edited:
Seems it would be doable if you had the correct chip libraries installed in the Arduino IDE and could connect from the Arduino board to the Pentair board. Is there a pinout available for the Pentair side? Would I be safe in assuming the pins would be the same as other 6-pin programming jumpers; MISO, SCK, RESET, VCC, MOSI & GND?

Pin-out-2-IMG_2258_zpszryufx1m.jpg
Picture from the first post

On the Micro JST plug;
1-White = Gnd
4-Yellow = Reset
5-Black = BKGD
6-Red = VCC

The other two pins (2&3) are not used.

This is a BDM 6 pin pinout

Last edited:
What is the minimum firmware that will add the extra 4 relays for easy touch 8 (assuming the resistor is soldered on?)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support