How to open an AGP

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
It would be great to have an FAQ on how to open an AGP. It seems like such a mystery. We just got the cover off yesterday. There's no really good way to do that. Today we're starting to vacuum the bottom and sides so we can start our SLAM. In a few weeks we're hoping it'll be ready for use. This is a pretty typical opening for us.

IMG_2523 2.jpg

Rule #1 Close Late (@slam level for your cya) -after the water is below 60ish degrees on a regular basis , Open Early - before the water is above 60ish degrees.
*Check the fc level a few times through the winter & add liquid chlorine of necessary.

As far as the cover goes, I just have one of these

955E5E1B-C4A2-4C2A-A083-B56A78F96D34.jpeg
I use it all winter & i pump it down pretty much bone dry by setting a brick on it & moving it around to the puddles before removing the cover. A good sunny day or two dries it up well.
Periodically through the winter i use the leaf net to remove debris from the cover as well.
If u set it & forget it you’ll definitely have to pay at opening. A little attention throughout the winter goes a long way.

Last edited:
This is 10 minutes after I removed my cover after closing as directed in the link below.
138CE02C-9A81-44D2-A705-5CF983B2A1D4.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
Rule #1 Close Late (@slam level for your cya) -after the water is below 60ish degrees on a regular basis , Open Early - before the water is above 60ish degrees.
*Check the fc level a few times through the winter & add liquid chlorine of necessary.

As far as the cover goes, I just have one of these

View attachment 342085
I use it all winter & i pump it down pretty much bone dry by setting a brick on it & moving it around to the puddles before removing the cover. A good sunny day or two dries it up well.
Periodically through the winter i use the leaf net to remove debris from the cover as well.
If u set it & forget it you’ll definitely have to pay at opening. A little attention throughout the winter goes a long way.
Thanks, I did not know about these. I just ordered one for next year.

The way I close my pool is I vacuum to waste and drop the water level just below the return. I add enough bleach to shock and plug the return and skimmer. I put the cover on. I keep the cover pumped off except for 1/2" or so of water - this helps keep it in place. In the spring, I open up the pool, fill as necessary, turn the pump on, shock again and make whatever other adjustments are necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.