How to measure chemicals using 4 cup measuring cup?

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
I was told my pool calculator to add 193oz of borax to get my ph up. I use a 4 cup measuring cup what is the easiest method to measure this? Think I just dumped a bunch of borax more than I should have.

I wouldn't have. pH generally creeps up. pH of 7 isn't that bad, you could have aerated the water and pH would rise quicker. Jets pointed to the surface or a foutain installed.

Will be interested to see what your pool does with that much borax.

ja123,
For starters, welcome to the forum! Before you go any further I ask that you please, slow down! When dealing with pH it's always best to increase/decrease in small steps. Depending on you TA level your addition of borax may have overshot your desired level. Second off, please understand that here on TFP we use PoolMath not the Pool Calculator. I'm not sure if the error was in wording or not but I wanted to make sure we're on the same page as some of the calculations are different.

Now to your question,
Depending on your TA level the addition of 24 cups of Borax may have increased your pH higher than you want it at. Let's let it run for a few and retest your pH level as you may wish to lower. Next time you post back I ask that you please include your pH and TA levels and we'll assist you. In the mean time I encourage you to read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to help you further understand what does what with your pool water.

Again, WELCOME TO TFP!!!!

Hello my ph was 7.0 and my alkalinity was 140. I also would like to ask can you add chlorine while adjusting your ph levels? The reason I wanted to increase my ph was because I have been zeroing out on chlorine daily. I don’t seem to see any algae just dirt debris on the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning,
For the most part we suggest you wait 15-20 minutes between adding chemicals as a safety measure. In your case adding chlorine while increasing your pH poses little harm. If you were decreasing your pH there’s a risk of mixing acid and chlorine resulting in some nasty fumes that could harm you. So as a general suggestion we say wait between adding.

With your FC level so low you need add chlorine as you mentioned. Using the Chlorine / CYA Chart find your CYA level to see your goal. Add that goal into PoolMath to determine how much chlorine you should add. Allow the pump to run 15 minutes and let’s retest your water. Post a full set of results back here and we’ll assist further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.