how to make 1.5" hose from pump to filter input port not leak at 0.5psi

Young707

Jul 9, 2020
West Coast
We have 19" sand filter for above ground pool. The pump is 1.5HP with 0.5 psi at normal filter setting.
The 1.5" hose from pump to filter input port dripping leaks. We have two different clamps and tightened as much as we can without breaking it.
But it still leaks. Any advices?

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_110104.jpg
    IMG_20210731_110104.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210731_110106.jpg
    IMG_20210731_110106.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 25
We have 19" sand filter for above ground pool. The pump is 1.5HP with 0.5 psi at normal filter setting.
The 1.5" hose from pump to filter input port dripping leaks. We have two different clamps and tightened as much as we can without breaking it.
But it still leaks. Any advices?
Rotate one those clamps 180 degrees so the tighten screw are on opposite sides.

Herman Texas, Thank you for your response.
OK. I switch the clamps so that are 180 degrees oppose. Inside clamp at 3 o'clock, outside clamp at 9 o'clock. Driping presists. Inside at 9 o'clock, outside at 3o'clock. Same dripping.
Ideals, anyone?

Is that flexible PVC tubing? If so flexible PVC is really not designed to be clamped. It has internal reinforcing that keeps it from collapsing.

If I am seeing the leak correctly, I suspect that you have not put teflon (thread) tape on the fitting that goes into your filter.
I don't think the leak is coming from the hose, but rather the fitting the hose is connected to.

I will not double clamp, but my clamps are different.

dkxD4LC.jpg

Reactions: HermanTX
Outside from changing the fitting to allow the flexible PVC to be glued and probably requiring a union so you can take things apart, it will be much easier and less expensive to replace it with the proper hose (not sure why they included a flexible PVC hose, if in fact that is what it is).

My Hayward came with this:

Though I do have the parts now to hard pipe it.

Last edited:
RonsPlc, what kind of clamps are you using? where can we pick one up and try it. Also, yes, we have teflon tape on the threaded PVC adapter. The leaks is not from the threaded adapter, its from the clamped hose slip joint.

Yes, the hose material is re-enforced internally and quite stiff. So, we used hair dryer and heat it inside and out for 5 minutes. The hose end was hot but not softened much. We clamped it and leaks reduced a bit, but still continue drip, drip drip.

We are shopping for ID 1.5" for around 30 inches long hose. Any suggesting where we can pick one up and try it?
Thank you and grateful for all your helpful comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have both. But the walls are much too thin. We have tried this 3 ft hose from Walmart. Actually we have quite a few more from Amazon, Walmart, HomeDepot, Lowes. We are getting a propane blow torch to see if we can really soften the hose wall.
Anyone tried the black Gorilla Tape wrap around the adapter? We are planning to get some & try it.

RonsPlc, are your clamps one time use only?

We have both. But the walls are much too thin. We have tried this 3 ft hose from Walmart. Actually we have quite a few more from Amazon, Walmart, HomeDepot, Lowes. We are getting a propane blow torch to see if we can really soften the hose wall.

We are shopping for ID 1.5" for around 30 inches long hose. Any suggesting where we can pick one up and try it?
Thank you and grateful for all your helpful comments.

I linked you to a reinforced hose that will work between your filter and pump which is clampable. You CAN NOT clamp flexible PVC. Blow Torch :eek: All you will do with a blow torch is affect its structural integrity and distort it. The melting point is about 176 degrees. To soften flexible PVC you can use either a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting. And this is really only meant as a way to bend the the pipe into a particular shape. The spiral reinforcement inside the flexible PVC does not soften nor stretch. This is not heat shrink tubing...

Last edited:
Just a question. Thinking deep again...According to the FITMAX website, they match their pools with Intex pumps and filters. (see Below)
Any chance you're trying to connect 1-1/2 inch hoses to the 1-1/4 Intex fittings. Or do I misunderstand something??

OUR FILTER PUMP EVOLUTION​

At Fitmax we are committed to continually improving and innovating our products.​

Originally when we first started out our filter pumps were actually much weaker at 500 gph. For a 1500 gallon pool that is sufficient enough to cycle in about three hours. Over time though and based off customer demand and feedback we sought to provide more powerful high quality filter pumps to cycle the pool faster. Currently, we match our pools with Intex filter pumps running at 1000 and deluxe at 1500 gph. Based off our pool size of 1500 to 2200 gallons this is more than sufficient to cycle the pool within three to four hours and help keep it oxygenated and algae free. Our filter pumps use a very simple principle of electromagnetism to spin the water through a woven cartridge and running at 120 volts are compatible with any normal three pronged house hold electric socket.

The ipool build in outlet & inlet are both 1-1/4" male slip. Can only use 1-/14" hose. Sorry, this Fixmax 500 gph pump with paper filter is not sufficient to do any thing in the pool, Cloudy water after 3 weeks of continue running, stayed cloudy.
We upgrade the Fixmax meek 0.1 HP 500 gph pump & paper filter to 1.5HP Xtreme Power USA pump with 19" sand filter. Between the pump & filter has 1-1/2" female threaded inputs. Both pump & filter come with pvc 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" slip male adapters with 1-1/2" male thread. It came with this 1-1/2" black thick stiff PVC 28" long hose. The sand filter presure at filtering operation is 0.5 psi.

As of now, the pump to filter hose dripping slow to around every 4 seconds. Hope we are not contributing to the severe California drought.

Last edited:
Well, we bought this Pipe Thread Sealant and applied on the inside of the 1.5" pvc slip hose and outside of the 1.5" pvc hose slip adapater (both has no thread, just slip joints). Clamped it down with two screw clamps as picture. Let it dry for 2 days. Waw Lar. No leak.

Not certain if we can disasseble this joint at a later day. We assume this pipe thread sealant is NOT permenant glue.

Attachments

• Pipe Thread Sealant IMG_20210822_102749.jpg
    Pipe Thread Sealant IMG_20210822_102749.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice fix and I hope it holds a long time for you !! For possible future use, it looks like you have some slack and could have cut off an inch or 2 to have fresh pipe at the barbs. Many times the clamps will ruin/crimp the inside of the pipe and that’s where your future leaks come from.

Many folks eventually tire of fooling with it and switch to hard piping with PVC. Also something to consider of it ever matters again. (But hopefully it doesn’t :) )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.