How to Maintain a Bromine Pool

Pour a pound of DE into the skimmer while the pump is on and then watch the returns closely to see if DE comes out.

Try a drop of acid on some DE from the bag to compare the reaction to what happens with the collected material.

The filter is over 20 years old.

Probably time to consider replacing it with a new 520 sqft cartridge filter.

Brush the pool at least once a week to see if the clouding will stop.

What are the current chemistry readings including the temperature and the CSI?

The filter is over 20 years old.

Probably time to consider replacing it with a new 520 sqft cartridge filter.

Brush the pool at least once a week to see if the clouding will stop.

What are the current chemistry readings including the temperature and the CSI?
Cartridge filter better than DE? What are the advantages.... and disadvantages (if any)?

What would be the approximate cost for a 520 sq ft filter?

Is maintenance easy (I'm only really familiar with sand filters.)

I'll send chemistry readings in next post when I test this evening.

When brushing I am pushing the sediment toward the main drain, correct? Would it be just as effective to run the automatic cleaner for several days in a row to get most of that sediment out? If that is diatomaceous earth settling at the bottom of the pool, is there any concern about "gumming up" the cleaner?

Current readings:
Br 4.0
pH 7.6
TA 50
CH 200
CYA 30
Temp 83
CSI -.42

I plan to add some baking soda tomorrow to bring TA up to about 70... and will also consider adding some calcium chloride to get CH to a minimum of 250.

Readings were a little off last night, as the lighting was not great in the evening at the pool. Also, I think I read CH level when sample was more purple than blue.

Here are readings for all levels as of this morning:
FC 1.5 (actually bromine at 3 and then converting to Cl for the Pool Math App
pH 7.7
TA 60
CH 300
CYA 30
Temp 84
CSI -.06

So.... chemistry looks pretty good and I will not make any adjustments right now. Just need to do the acid test on the sediment to confirm if that is diatomaceous earth getting in the pool. Hope to do that today.

Reactions: JamesW
Cartridge filter better than DE?
Not really better. About the same.
What are the advantages.... and disadvantages (if any)?
Cartridge avoids the DE.
Is maintenance easy (I'm only really familiar with sand filters.)
Sand is easiest.
When brushing I am pushing the sediment toward the main drain, correct?
I would vacuum it up.

Just brush everything everywhere.
Would it be just as effective to run the automatic cleaner for several days in a row to get most of that sediment out?
Probably.
If that is diatomaceous earth settling at the bottom of the pool, is there any concern about "gumming up" the cleaner?
As long as it is not too much it should not clog.

Reactions: JPMorgan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So..... found out today that the pool company was aware of the problem of the DE getting into the pool and had submitted a proposal to "breakdown and inspect the filter" last year.
HOA President says he never saw it :rolleyes:. Anyway.... he is re-sending the proposal. Asked the guy to send me a copy. We'll see what happens this time around.

Don't think I ever got an answer to the question if this could be a healthy/safety issue for anyone using the pool. Any thoughts on that?

Any reason not to switch to a sand filter?
If you are going to continue to use tabs, then the sand filter might be a better choice because you lose a lot of water when you backwash which will help control DMH.

If you go with salt, I would use a cartridge filter.
submitted a proposal to "breakdown and inspect the filter" last year.
That's ridiculous.

The filter should be taken apart, cleaned and inspected regularly.

The maintenance people are simply incompetent.
Don't think I ever got an answer to the question if this could be a healthy/safety issue for anyone using the pool. Any thoughts on that?
If it is DE, it should not be a health issue.

DE is mostly an issue if someone breathes in the dry dust and the DE dust builds up in their lungs.

Reactions: Mdragger88
That's ridiculous.

The filter should be taken apart, cleaned and inspected regularly.

The maintenance people are simply incompetent.
Not defending the pool company, but it's my understanding that anything outside of routine maintenance or any repair over $250 requires HOA approval. I believe that's why they submitted a "proposal". Haven't seen the proposal yet, so hard to say. They may, indeed, be incompetent.... or just gouging the HOA.

I have attached a copy of current maintenance contracts. One is for Opening and Closing the outdoor pool (looks like the HOA is being sold a lot of unnecessary chemicals) and the other is for maintenance of indoor pool. I have not yet seen the maintenance contract for the outdoor pool. Would appreciate any thoughts/ comments on these.

Attachments

• Atrium Indoor 1x poolside.pdf
    601.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Atrium poolside 3.2020.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 3
This says that they clean the filter at the end of the year.

When did they notice that the DE was coming back?

The chemicals seem excessive.

250 lb of trichlor for 50,000 gallons is 3 ppm per day for 180 days, which is 333 ppm CYA.

So, why are they selling more CYA?

And then you have 50 lb, of granular chlorine and 100 lb of shock.

1635947563845.png

This says that they clean the filter at the end of the year.

When did they notice that the DE was coming back?

The chemicals seem excessive.

250 lb of trichlor for 50,000 gallons is 3 ppm per day for 180 days, which is 333 ppm CYA.

So, why are they selling more CYA?

And then you have 50 lb, of granular chlorine and 100 lb of shock.

View attachment 380657
Looks like stabilizer is only “added at time of filling”?

Hope to cut back on many of those chemicals next outdoor season. We have discussed maintaining the outdoor pool with liquid chlorine and will revisit that when pool opens again in the spring.

I have attached the quote that was submitted for addressing the DE that is getting into the pool. They said they noticed this a while ago and submitted a quote to address it, but never got approval. HOA President says he never saw it. Who knows what happened???

Anyway...... does their quote seem reasonable? I noticed also (as pointed out by JamesW) that the regular maintenance contract calls for cleaning filters at $110 each. Wondering if the HOA was charged for that. I will have to find out.

Attachments

• Est_29977_from_Poolside_Inc_21756.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 7
Anyway...... does their quote seem reasonable?
No.
I noticed also (as pointed out by JamesW) that the regular maintenance contract calls for cleaning filters at $110 each.
They set the price at $110.00 for the work, which was supposed to already be done.

Why is it now $450.00 for the same work that was already supposed to be done for $110.00?

Why do they need to take the grids?

Do they have a professional lab where they inspect the fabric with an electron microscope?

Take the filter apart, wash the dirt off and look at the grids onsite.

1635966400220.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.