How to Maintain a Bromine Pool

Honestly, this indoor pool is a royal PITA in terms of chemical maintenance. Anyone responsible for its upkeep is, at best, just guessing that it is ok. It’s all downside in my opinion because someone is going to complain and cause a fuss at some point and the person holding the keys will be the one that gets the blame. Just not worth the hassle.
Bottom line in terms of your advice seems to be...... convert it to a Cl pool in order to avoid complications and problems that come with bromine. I'm going to push for that, especially since the bromine feeder seems to be malfunctioning. Will push for a drain and refill and then start using liquid Cl. If I can get them to do the refill, is a power wash / acid wash necessary.... or just drain, fill, adjust and sanitize? What stabilizer level should I shoot for in this indoor pool..... 30? Any other issues you can alert me to in terms of converting this bromine pool to a (liquid) chlorine pool? I'm assuming once we convert, things should remain very stable most of the time, as I won't be battling sun, wind, rain, dirt, dust, etc. like you do in an outdoor pool. Seems like the biggest drawback is that someone has to go put chlorine in the pool daily, but.... it has to be tested twice daily anyway (per regs) so that doesn't seem like a major inconvenience.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Maybe this thing is salvagable!

If you convert it to chlorine then you want the CYA no higher than 30ppm or whatever local health dept regulations require (some demand that CYA be zero in an indoor pool). I would also add an automated stenner pump for liquid chlorine and consider a supplemental UV oxidation system since you want avoid using high levels of chlorine when dealing with CCs. Outdoor pools get the benefit of the sun to help reduce CCs, indoor pools don’t have that advantage. If you only used chlorine in an indoor pool, the CCs would eventually build up to a point where breakpoint chlorination (shocking) won’t help. That pool is basically like a giant communal hot tub so it requires a lot of attention to detail to keep it sanitary.

That pool is basically like a giant communal hot tub so it requires a lot of attention to detail to keep it sanitary.
The only thing I can say is that the indoor pool doesn't seem to get much use. Not sure why, but I rarely see anyone in it. It looks inviting... it's clear, maintained at about 85 degrees, and is properly balanced and sanitized (based on my tests). I guess there's just not that much interest (unless the grandkids are visiting). :)

I would also add an automated stenner pump for liquid chlorine and consider a supplemental UV oxidation system since you want avoid using high levels of chlorine when dealing with CCs.
Is this a pump that will continuously feed liquid chlorine into the pool at a set rate? What about using MPS to oxidize contaminants?

I have a different issue I need to address with this pool and get some guidance. Hope it is okay to continue on this thread. It is what I found when I was doing a demo of an automatic cleaner in the indoor pool and wondering if this could be serious. I am posting a short video and a photo. The video shows what is billowing up as the cleaner runs across the floors and walls of the pool. The photo shows what has accumulated in the cleaner filter after about 15 minutes of running in the pool. It is caked with what I believe is diatomaceous earth. The pool looks clear, but this stuff seems to be leaking into the pool and settling on the floor and walls. What is the probable cause and how serious is this issue? I assume it is some malfunction with the equipment (filter) because I don't think this stuff is supposed to be getting in the pool, right? Is this dangerous for swimmers? Need advice on what to do.... please.

IMG_2641.jpg

I have a different issue I need to address with this pool and get some guidance. Hope it is okay to continue on this thread. It is what I found when I was doing a demo of an automatic cleaner in the indoor pool and wondering if this could be serious. I am posting a short video and a photo. The video shows what is billowing up as the cleaner runs across the floors and walls of the pool. The photo shows what has accumulated in the cleaner filter after about 15 minutes of running in the pool. It is caked with what I believe is diatomaceous earth. The pool looks clear, but this stuff seems to be leaking into the pool and settling on the floor and walls. What is the probable cause and how serious is this issue? I assume it is some malfunction with the equipment (filter) because I don't think this stuff is supposed to be getting in the pool, right? Is this dangerous for swimmers? Need advice on what to do.... please.

View attachment 380353
Figure out if it’s calcium dust (from the plaster) or DE. If the filter isn’t DE, then it would seem to point away from DE.

What kind of filter is on this pool?

Typically speaking, DE does not settle onto the walls. It’s more dense than water and usually sits on the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the pool painted?

Can you show the filter?

How often is the pool vacuumed?

How often is the pool brushed?
Not painted

I will snap a photo of the filter if that helps. It is a DE filter.

The pool company comes once per week and one of their jobs is to vacuum the pool, so.... once per week. The pool gets little use from my observations.

Not sure how much brushing is done. Would be done by pool company, if at all, but I doubt it is done regularly.

I have not actually been in the pool myself. I will get in this week and get a better feel for how much of this stuff is on the bottom of the pool and/or the walls. I didn't keep any of the residue from the cleaner filter, but I can collect some again. Was mainly concerned about getting the stuff out of the filter and the cleaner because I was concerned it might affect the operation of the cleaner.

Checked pool this am. Definitely a diatomaceous earth filter. Rubbed sides of pool wall with my hand again..... no white residue. No sediment when I brush pool WALL, but significant amount on pool BOTTOM (see video).

Also sending a pic of sediment on pool deck where I drained water from cleaner yesterday. Seems likely that this is diatomaceous earth getting into the pool. I would appreciate any comments on suspected problem and the repair needed (if indicated). Also.... is this a dangerous condition for swimmers?

IMG_2648.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.