How to get scum line off vinyl liner top?

The admin nub on the Facebook group swimming pools and spas deleted my recommendation to try using magic eraser to clean the scum line staying it violated rules as "unsafe". The main ingredient in magic erasers is common table salt so not sure what the unsafe part is and don't really care. Most of the information I'm reading on that page is full of Crud anyway. Just my .02.
You want real information stay away from that group.

The admin nub on the Facebook group swimming pools and spas deleted my recommendation to try using magic eraser to clean the scum line staying it violated rules as "unsafe". The main ingredient in magic erasers is common table salt so not sure what the unsafe part is and don't really care. Most of the information I'm reading on that page is full of Crud anyway. Just my .02.
You want real information stay away from that group.
It's melamine foam. Basically they work as an extremely mild abrasive to remove the top layer of whatever they rub against when they're wet. Think super-fine sandpaper.

I would test on some extra liner material or in a non-conspicuous area in case it starts to remove the print on the liner.

I'm certainly not disputing that the chemical composition of it wouldn't have any real effect on the pool water. Only that it is an abrasive and should be tested to make sure it doesn't damage the liner itself.

The magic erasers are contraindicated with chlorine. It actually says this on the box. I think someone recently posted exactly why but I can't remember when and who.

Edit: I tried to search "magic eraser chlorine" and could only find stuff about people asking if it was ok to use in a pool. Nothing about what the contraindication actually was although I didn't read every link either. One article at inyopools.com had a quote from the mfr saying it "could react or interfere" with the magic erasers. Kinda vague as to if it's just unsafe, or it affects it's ability to clean, or both.

I love my magic erasers, which I get at the dollar store (2/$1). It's the only thing I can get to clean my white stone sink properly, amongst all kinds of other uses. I used them to clean on an old swimming pool liner before I realized what the box said. It worked well, and didn't involve getting soaps near the water.

Last edited:
The magic erasers are contraindicated with chlorine. It actually says this on the box. I think someone recently posted exactly why but I can't remember when and who.
That's in concentrated form. Don't believe me ask chem geek

In the Champion Expanding Encyclopedia of Mortuary Practices article "Bleach in Embalming Rooms: Overrated and Overused Part 1" written by a chemist at The Champion Company:

Note, however, that formaldehyde in the Magic Eraser is not a separate chemical but one component of a polymer so will not be nearly as reactive with chlorine. Also, the above description of problems with chlorine and formaldehyde is talking about the mixing of concentrated solutions. Nevertheless, in some polymers there are often found small quantities of unreacted monomers (individual ingredients) though how much depends on the specifics of the chemical manufacturing process. This patent, for example, describes formation of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite resin (copolymer) that outgases less formaldehyde. This MSDS for Magic Eraser says the following under Stability and Reactivity:

The bottom line is that the active chlorine concentration in our swimming pools is equivalent to less than 0.1 ppm FC with no CYA. You should not be worrying about reactions of chlorine with the Magic Eraser. Not only are such reactions minimal due to the polymer itself, but the very low chlorine concentration makes any such reactions occur very slowly. Adding concentrated bleach to a Magic Eraser would be more of a problem, though even then the reaction rate would be fairly slow. An acidic chlorine solution such as from Trichlor or the use of chlorine gas or use of a stronger oxidizer (e.g. ammonium permanganate, chromic acid, fluorine) would be more of a problem. Again, chlorine at dilution amounts in swimming pools should not be an issue.

" You should not be worrying about reactions of chlorine with the Magic Eraser. Not only are such reactions minimal due to the polymer itself, but the very low chlorine concentration makes any such reactions occur very slowly. .... Again, chlorine at dilution amounts in swimming pools should not be an issue."

Reactions: frogabog
I use Magic Erasers on my steps all the time. My hubby got the bright idea to try it on the liner. Not such a great idea. I bought this stuff from Amazon, and it worked great. I sprayed about a five-foot section at a time so it could start working. I floated around the pool and scrubbed. I will be honest you have to work at it, but it wasn't bad at all, it smells like citrus and has no effects on water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And the link to the Mortuary Practice article is broken and it is now at https://www.thechampioncompany.com/images/stories/pdfs/encyclopedia/encyclo639.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.