How to fix a small cracked pipe

It is solvent welded into the tee. You will need to cut the tee out and replace it. It is a fitting x female bushing. Probably 2" fitting x 1/2" female.

Why do some pump pads have those hose bibs?
I put mine there to prime the pump.

You may need the pump union too. Try to get a solid bushing where the thread is not like the one pictured with very little meat on the thread and hollow behind. Too much Teflon could have done you in there expanding the pvc with a thin treaded wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do replace the whole T fitting I wouldn’t put a valve there. They are not useful and prone to developing leaks. You can’t drain a pool using the pool’s pump anyway because, as soon as you drop below the skimmer(s), there is a very good chance the suction line will lose prime and you’ll run the pump dry. The diverter valve in the skimmer isn’t really capable of holding a tight air/water seal so it’s just not practical and even if you can isolate the main drain line as the only suction source, it’s very likely the pump strainer basket will run too low due to the high lift needed. It’s just not useful.

When you need to drain a pool, you use an external submersible pump.

Reactions: BoHpool and woodyp
If you need a quick fix, you can unscrew the hose bib/spigot and screw in a 3/4" PVC pipe plug using some glue.

Let the glue set overnight.

You should still replace the part, but the glued in plug can fix it temporarily so that you can operate.

Remove all Teflon tape from the threads.

Coat the plug threads with glue and screw it in hand tight/snug, but not enough to open the crack.

Don't use a wrench.

If you do replace the whole T fitting I wouldn’t put a valve there. They are not useful and prone to developing leaks. You can’t drain a pool using the pool’s pump anyway because, as soon as you drop below the skimmer(s), there is a very good chance the suction line will lose prime and you’ll run the pump dry. The diverter valve in the skimmer isn’t really capable of holding a tight air/water seal so it’s just not practical and even if you can isolate the main drain line as the only suction source, it’s very likely the pump strainer basket will run too low due to the high lift needed. It’s just not useful.

When you need to drain a pool, you use an external submersible pump.
We have used it to drain some water out after a heavy rain. It’s been useful for that. But if it’s going to leak again, we prefer to just cap it. :)

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
We have used it to drain some water out after a heavy rain. It’s been useful for that. But if it’s going to leak again, we prefer to just cap it. :)

I did that once or twice too in the beginning and then just found it easier to toss in a submersible pump and redirect the water anywhere I wanted (the pool equipment pad isn’t in the most convenient location). It also avoids the hazard of accidentally losing prime and I can power the sub-pump on a switched outdoor outlet controlled from inside the house rather than trudging out to the pad to turn a valve. Submersible pumps are cheap and good to have around the home for general purpose water moving needs. I once saved my neighbors garage at midnight a few years back when we had an intense microburst storm hit our area and his drainage ditch was filling up fast. I ran over with my sub pump and we were able to move the water elsewhere before it spilled over into his garage. After that, he went on Amazon and bought his own. Lots of uses for them …

I did that once or twice too in the beginning and then just found it easier to toss in a submersible pump and redirect the water anywhere I wanted (the pool equipment pad isn’t in the most convenient location). It also avoids the hazard of accidentally losing prime and I can power the sub-pump on a switched outdoor outlet controlled from inside the house rather than trudging out to the pad to turn a valve. Submersible pumps are cheap and good to have around the home for general purpose water moving needs. I once saved my neighbors garage at midnight a few years back when we had an intense microburst storm hit our area and his drainage ditch was filling up fast. I ran over with my sub pump and we were able to move the water elsewhere before it spilled over into his garage. After that, he went on Amazon and bought his own. Lots of uses for them …
Thank you! We definitely need to get one :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.