How to figure out whether/how to do a water exchange?

That link seems broken. "There is no further text for this page."

I have read this
I have also read this

I was wanting to do something similar to what JoyfulNoise documented in that thread, but I don't know how I can get flow rate info on my pump or if I'm making life too complicated doing the exchange

Sorry about the link, you have read it you say.

You want to use a sump pump, not your pool pump.

Have you gone through the calculation to see if you should drain from the surface or bottom of the pool?

I don't care if my current pump is damaged if i mess up, it's about to be replaced anyway.

Why is draining to waste ok ( listed as an option in the article) but not exchanging to waste?

Haven't done calculations yet

The issue with the pool pump is losing prime. Also flow rate you can get make up water at. You can modify as you like, we just give you the process that protects equipment and people.

Regardless of what pump I used, i think my first step will be troubleshooting the softener. 1000 CH is unacceptable coming from a softener

Just to make sure--the dropsfor the calcium test are supposed to be much, much smaller than the others, right? I make sure to wipe the tip between drops, but they're still quite little

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to make sure--the dropsfor the calcium test are supposed to be much, much smaller than the others, right? I make sure to wipe the tip between drops, but they're still quite little
No. The drops should be the same size. Be careful to not put any pressure on the bottle unless needed to initiate the drop to form.

No. The drops should be the same size. Be careful to not put any pressure on the bottle unless needed to initiate the drop to form.
Not putting any pressure will not initiate a drop. Putting even the slightest bit of pressure makes a very small drop immediately fall. I have not found any amount of pressure that does not result in many small drops.

I think I bought some spare reagent with the kit; I will check and see if that bottle behaves differently

I would clean another dropper tip and try it. Or just clean the one you have. The dropper tips come out of the bottle.

I was under the impression that droplet size in determined by the tip shape. As in more blunt for bigger droplets.

So yeah if I swap the tips for R0007 and R0012 I get 200-225 ppm instead for my fill water. Seems more reasonable? But still doesn't seem like the softener is working...

I was under the impression that droplet size in determined by the tip shape. As in more blunt for bigger droplets.

“There are two factors that contribute to the drop size of the dropper tip. The first being the external size and shape of the tip surface, where the drop is being formed. The second factor is the coefficient of friction of the product being dispensed. The higher the coefficient, the greater the drop size. For controlled dropper tips, drop sizes are often measured, and specified, in µL.
The viscosity of the product being dispensed largely determines the orifice size. This also determines the rate at which the drop is formed on the dropper, as well as the ease or difficulty to expel the liquid from the tip.

I thought so. I don’t think all of the tips in these Taylor test kits are interchangeable.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.