How to convert during shortage?

I need to figure out a plan for memorial day weekend since we’ll be gone for the long weekend. I’m going to change my sand this weekend & add CYA since I’ve been holding FC overnight for the last few nights. Next week I’ll be gone for work but my wife will be adding LC as necessary to maintain 15ppm until I get back Thursday.

What’s the best plan to prep for the long weekend? The pool will be left unattended with no friends to help since everyone will be with us on the long weekend. Should I add a little less CYA this weekend with the expectation of having to use pucks while gone? I’ve been adding LC everyday but won’t be able too while gone so how will I maintain levels without adding too much pool store potions that are just going to make it harder down the road when I finally have time to install my SWG?

I’ve been running the pool on LC for the past few weeks due to work. The filter is on 24/7 & the robot runs once a day. I’m still seeing some white slime in the vac bag & on the pool floor so I don’t know if the conversion is complete yet? Now when I brush the stains there’s very little cloudiness, the goo seems to have stained the liner permanently? Just stained white spots on the liner with crystal clear water. There’s zero CYA in the pool so I dump two gallons of LC in every night which brings it up to slam levels over night then depleting in the sun to start the process over each night. I have sand to replace whats in the filter as well as a 5lb bag of conditioner which according to pool math gets me to the proper level. Where do I go from here? Should I change my sand & add conditioner or wait until there’s no more white slime in the robot & on the liner?

My experience was that once the water cleared up and a relatively low drop in FC overnight, CC was below 1, it was time to change filter media. I had an old sand filter but decided to buy the DE filter which was standing by. I had to remove the sand before removing the filter and it was an absolute mess inside. There was baquagoo in the multi-port valve and chunks of goo caked in sand (if you have a litter box for your feline, it was very turdy.... 🤣 ).

Once the new filter was in place, my numbers really came online. I am sure it would be the same by changing sand. Also, there may still be goo in the drain lines. If you have a way to pull only from only those for a few hours, do so after dumping some LC near them. I need to develope a funel to allow suction from just one at a time. My pool has 2, 6-8 ft apart for safety. I dove down last week, tapped on them and sure enough, there was still some goo hanging out down there.

I just went out & took some pictures of the stains I’m seeing. Maybe they were there before I started converting but they used to make the water cloudy when I scrubbed them & now they don’t move or dissipate?

Attachments

• F576A977-D702-4F19-8B3A-FD5CDD1F91F1.jpeg
    F576A977-D702-4F19-8B3A-FD5CDD1F91F1.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 9
  • A81E39A0-846C-4BF4-AAC2-EF800E386413.jpeg
    A81E39A0-846C-4BF4-AAC2-EF800E386413.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 9
  • 1F94869B-311D-4728-8088-8CF2C9133B40.jpeg
    1F94869B-311D-4728-8088-8CF2C9133B40.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 9
I do have stains, stripes that were there before I started. Over the past few years, I dumped thousands of dollars of baquacil shock, Sanitizer and a few times non-chlorine shock to try and kill the white mold.

• Sad
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I had to adjust the brightness on my phone. You can see the light and darker spots and lines. This has been on the pool floor for a year or two, prior to ever adding chlorine. Hard to see but, I notice it since I am the caretaker. Like the first little dent or scratch on a new car.

Attachments

• 20210606_211338.jpg
    20210606_211338.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210606_211633.jpg
    20210606_211633.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.